New receiver broke my PC's automatic A/V switching. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-08-2013, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently upgraded from a Pioneer VSX-1120K to a Marantz SR5008. While I'm absolutely thrilled with the audio performance, there's just one thing that I can't seem to get right.

My computer is the only source plugged into the receiver. The TV is a Samsung F8500. The computer also has a 1440p DVI monitor and analog Swans M10 speakers connected to it. Graphics card is a Geforce GTX 650.

With the Pioneer, the computer would automatically switch audio and video devices:

TV and AVR both OFF = Computer monitor as primary display, Swans M10s as primary audio device.
TV and AVR both ON = TV as primary display, receiver as primary audio device.
TV off and AVR on = computer monitor as primary display, AVR as primary audio device.

I didn't need to adjust any settings or use special software--it just worked.

Now with the Marantz, I have to manually switch display devices in Windows' control panel, and I sometimes have to reboot the PC in order to get HDMI audio to work. I've experimented with the different HDMI settings in the Marantz, but I just can't get the PC to work as flawlessly with this receiver as it did with the old Pio.

The receiver is the only thing that's changed. The TV, PC, video card, and even the HDMI input used on the TV are all the same.

Am I missing something obvious?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-08-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Suspect Pioneer handled EDID different than Marantz. Guessing one would be "invisible" to Windows and just pass the EDID from the Tv, while the other AVR actually shows up as the display/audio device in Windows. Unfortunately there is probably no way to make the Marantz act like the Pioneer, EDID wise. Long shot would be check if there is a "pass through" mode that you can enable/disable in the AVR. No guarantee it will change the behavior. You probably just got really lucky with the Pioneer. Other thoughts might be to completely disconnect all the analog stuff and do a clean install of the graphics driver, rebooting at every step. Then add the analog devices in after the fact...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-08-2013, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Yeah, I'm with the guy above - you were extremely lucky your previous setup worked the way it did (most people around here can't even change the room temperature without their HTPCs throwing a fit hence all the EDID posts in this sub forum). If the vendor you bought the Marantz from has a friendly exchange policy then I recommend you swap it for another Pioneer. BTW, I had a Nvidia card connected to my Marantz a couple of years ago and had nothing but trouble with it but went with AMD instead which was a little better but still had some issues (it would break HDMI control with other components when connected - PC didn't even have to be on and I would also lose audio when switching receiver inputs requiring a reboot). If you want to have a quick fix for the "no audio device connected" bug, then check out this thread. Just make sure you disregard what I posted in that thread (don't think it will help in your scenario as you have multiple video outs in different resolutions and different audio outputs too). Good luck.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-09-2013, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Yes, Marantz may be the problem here, it just won't work properly with some TVs. I have a Benq projector and an LG TV connected to the hdmi outputs of my Marantz 7005.

The projector works flawlessly but the TV loses the hdmi sync every time the Marantz switches inputs or even changes output format. I have to cycle inputs on the TV to get the image back.

Only solution was to put a Dr. HDMI between the Marantz and the TV.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-10-2013, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, that sucks. There is an HDMI pass through option, but it doesn't behave the way the Pioneer did. I guess I'll just have to live with it. I could never get my Pioneer to sound quite right; MCAAC just didn't seem to like my room. Audyssey pretty much nailed it on the first try.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page