Connect old plasma to pc - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-09-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey guys, long time lurker but now I have my first serious question, so that's why I joined :-)

I want to buy a new pc, but I'm having the following issue. At the moment I have a GTX 260 graphics card which seems to be the last generation of cards which have a DIN connector that goes to a component breakout box.

My tv is a Sony KE-32TS2E plasma tv which has no digital connections. The connections available are S-video and component.

Now, I know for a fact that the component connection has settings in the menu for both YUV (which I am using right now, using the breakout DIN) and RGB.

Onto the question: I want to use this tv with a newer graphics card with a DVI-I port. I already bought this adapter: http://www.conrad.de/medias/global/ce/9000_9999/9900/9920/9929/992984_LB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

But I am not getting any image on my TV.

I know that the GTX260 has DVI-I ports which should carry an analog signal, so the connector should work.

Here's the catch: I already managed to get some sort of very scrambled image on the tv, but have not been able to reproduce. I can see the TV trying to sync the image, but it never 'locks'. Could the sole reason be that instead of an RGB connector (3 pin) I need an RGBHV connector (5 pin) ?

If not, what settings should I play with get an usable picture on the tv?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-09-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Look at page 20 of your user manual for supported resolutions and setting RGB mode to Component on the Tv. You want to set your PC desktop resolution to one of the supported modes (suggest 1280x720p or 1920x1080i). Also if you reply here please link to exactly where you got that adapter cable. Some won't work, you may need a powered converter box like this.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-12-2013, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post

Look at page 20 of your user manual for supported resolutions and setting RGB mode to Component on the Tv. You want to set your PC desktop resolution to one of the supported modes (suggest 1280x720p or 1920x1080i). Also if you reply here please link to exactly where you got that adapter cable. Some won't work, you may need a powered converter box like this.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I already tried all sorts of resolutions, including 1280x720p and 1920x1080i. These resolutions work fine when using the breakout box (and thus YUV), but they are not working / syncing when using RGB mode.

The exact adapter I used is this one:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B004788Y5E/

Any more ideas? I know I can use a converter, but there should be one already present in my television? Is this simply an issue of using RGB when I should be using RGBHV? Or does the graphics card put out some sort of Sync-on-Green?

post #4 of 6 Old 12-12-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgeregula View Post

...I know I can use a converter, but there should be one already present in my television? ...
Breakout cable doesn't appear to be working with your Tv (and they usually never do on Tv's in general). Converter box is usually needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgeregula View Post

Hi,
... Is this simply an issue of using RGB when I should be using RGBHV? ...
Yep, that would be my guess.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-12-2013, 07:36 AM

Liked: 13
I'm in the same boat as you with an excellent old RPTV that still has a great amazing picture and is built like a tank. If I'm reading the specs right, the GTX 260 should work for HDTV (component video). I believe you need an adapter that runs through the S-Video and not DVI. This is what I'm doing, albeit on a different card, and in it works fine.

Once you get it hooked up and running I highly recommend AnyDVD HD. You'll find that playback of DVD's and Blurays is difficult due to the digital media police not liking our analog setups. AnyDVD is expensive, but a highly effective and easy solution that allows you to play the stuff you have a right to.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-19-2013, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Another question:

Suppose I get myself a cheap old graphics card which still has the component breakout connection.

Could I run my pc with the 2 graphics card (completely different cards) not in SLI/CF ? I would need a motherboard with multiple PCI-E slots, but that's not an issue.

F ex:

GTX 680 hooked to main monitor & used for gaming etc

second graphics card hooked to tv & used as secondary screen (xbmc mainly)

Obviously I only have 1 set of mouse/keyboard, but will I get picture on the 2nd screen?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page