Haswell Pentium HD Graphics vs. i3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-09-2013, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There's a lot of recommendations out there to go with a Pentium G3220 for a budget HTPC build, utilizing the integrated graphics. But, has anyone seen a comprehensive list of exactly what your HTPC might be missing from, say, an i3-4130 by going with the G3220?

Most of my questions stem from Intel's ambiguity with their enigmatic "Intel HD Graphics" branding on Haswell Pentiums.

Specific questions:
1. Has anyone actually confirmed that the 24p bug is gone from the Pentium Haswells? I know it was confirmed squashed from the i3 Haswells, but do not feel confident that it is gone from Pentiums.

2. Will a Pentium Haswell like the G3220 have the potential for issues deinterlacing today's TV signals, such as 1080i? I am sensitive to interlacing and was happy with what my old Nvidia GT 430 was doing to get rid of it. Are there any advantages to an i3 when it comes to deinterlacing?

3. Pulldown and other such shenanigans. Again, any reason to go with an i3 over a Pentium?

P.S. Unrelated, but I have the Wesena ITX1 case and I'm getting excited to build something in it. I have an i3-4130 and G3220 sitting on my desk, patiently waiting for one of them to be declared the winner.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help me understand the capabilities of these chips better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-10-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurrier View Post

There's a lot of recommendations out there to go with a Pentium G3220 for a budget HTPC build, utilizing the integrated graphics. But, has anyone seen a comprehensive list of exactly what your HTPC might be missing from, say, an i3-4130 by going with the G3220?

Most of my questions stem from Intel's ambiguity with their enigmatic "Intel HD Graphics" branding on Haswell Pentiums.

Specific questions:
1. Has anyone actually confirmed that the 24p bug is gone from the Pentium Haswells? I know it was confirmed squashed from the i3 Haswells, but do not feel confident that it is gone from Pentiums.

2. Will a Pentium Haswell like the G3220 have the potential for issues deinterlacing today's TV signals, such as 1080i? I am sensitive to interlacing and was happy with what my old Nvidia GT 430 was doing to get rid of it. Are there any advantages to an i3 when it comes to deinterlacing?

3. Pulldown and other such shenanigans. Again, any reason to go with an i3 over a Pentium?

P.S. Unrelated, but I have the Wesena ITX1 case and I'm getting excited to build something in it. I have an i3-4130 and G3220 sitting on my desk, patiently waiting for one of them to be declared the winner.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help me understand the capabilities of these chips better.

The major reason you would want an i3 over a Pentium would be:

#1. i3 an do 3D and Pentium can not.
#2. You want a faster CPU (for whatever reason)

Personally I like the i5 (quad core) more than the i3 - I tend to be the guy that either goes all the way- or goes the simple route. If you want to do stuff like full MadVR, SVP, and you want great CPU performance the quad core is the better choice (with GPU card) I find the i3 to be stuck in the middle where it's too much, or not enough. Depending on what you want to do. It's a middle range build - for those that only want 3D but don't want MadVR or SVP or don't want GPU card.

Specific questions:

With haswell and 24p bug you would miss a frame once every 11 days. eek.gif So yeah it's a lot better than IVY or Sandy biggrin.gif

Depends on software, settings and players. But yes.

I like that word Shenanigans. lol. If you are ultra senstive a GPU card and MadVR is often the best bet. But short answer is no- Pentium Haswell GPU is fine for video playback.

Cliff Notes:

i3 can do 3D
Pentium can not do 3D
Both i3 and Pentium are fine for basic 1080p playback
GPU card would be required with either to get full MadVR
Neither are powerful enough to run SVP at high levels (need quad core)

My personal Bias (since I see i5's like 3570k for $149 and the Haswell 4670k for $199) is that the i5 is often the better value since it's power powerful for a small amount of extra cost. If you can spend $130 on an i3 you can likely get an i5. If you are budget tight the half priced ($69 or $59) Pentium is oozing with value if you only require simple playback. The i3 is stuck in the middle where it's often never a bad choice, but also nearly never a great value.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 9 Old 12-10-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Thanks. I already knew about the 3D and I forgot to mention it for the benefit of others.

What kind of deinterlacing does the Pentium do, though? Just through the plain old driver, not with some third party software. Does the i3 have a benefit over the Pentium in terms of the quality of the built-in deinterlacing?

I am getting closer and closer to just going with the Pentium, and I am not super picky, but I don't want to see interlacing or poor deinterlacing.

One of my requirements for this build was to make a very small computer which is why I went with a case having no PCI slots. I'm still satisfied with that decision, but that's the reason why I am avoiding a discrete graphics card, just so you know.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-10-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Intel is actually the best (better than AMD or Nvida) and Pentium and i3 are identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Jinc also has less aliasing artifacts:

(Monsters Inc. Blu-Ray Upscale to UHD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

x4 enlargement (this forum resizes every picture posted). This typically shows how Jinc is good.

AMD is the worst, NVIDIA is not so good (ES = Edge sharpening), Intel is the best among the three. Unfortunately, with Intel, DXVA2 decode is sometimes broken and "DXVA Best" deinterlacing never works in XBMC.

I believe that chart got changed though, ^ That chart is wrong for Nvidia - they're using bilinear scaling and edge sharpening, not lanczos (if it matters)

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 9 Old 12-10-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

That's scaling, but how is deinterlacing and dejudder?
post #6 of 9 Old 12-10-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What player and software ?

-

post #7 of 9 Old 12-10-2013, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Windows Media Center. Occasional Media Player Classic-Home Cinema. And occasional WMC-inbuilt Netflix. Windows 7.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-10-2013, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Additional question... can anyone tell me what deinterlacing algorithm the Pentium uses? vs what the i3 would do?
post #9 of 9 Old 12-11-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I believe it's exactly the same
scurrier likes this.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page