Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemb View Post

I would like to throw our Roku app into the mix
Looks good. One more platform under MB3s belt smile.gif

Also, cough, might be time for some of those reserved posts to become posts tongue.gif It's like waiting for the iphone 6 at this point biggrin.gif

Edit: sorry, by cough I meant *cough-xzener-and-mfusick-update-your-posts-cough*
post #93 of 246 Old 12-23-2013, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Yea or just start a new one since MB3 is here and no longer just coming.

Also, we would be honored if you would join us.
post #94 of 246 Old 12-24-2013, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yea or just start a new one since MB3 is here and no longer just coming.

Also, we would be honored if you would join us.

I think you mistook my post to be talking about the MB3 is coming thread. I was trying to poke mfusick and xzener about their posts smile.gif

Also, it is an honor just to read that.

MB3 has already nailed some features otherwise missing from XBMC. There's a lot I like about both, but I only want one . . .
post #95 of 246 Old 12-24-2013, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 62

Being so OC about getting things to look EXACTLY consistent all through WMC I finally managed to get a Win8 look while at the same time having MediaBrowser Classic match the rest of Media Center.

This is the Un8y Midnight WMC theme with the Crystal theme in MBC, with WMC tiles I found via a post in the MB3 forum and a bit of fiddling with Media Center Themer to get the text colors right.

post #96 of 246 Old 12-24-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I think you mistook my post to be talking about the MB3 is coming thread. I was trying to poke mfusick and xzener about their posts smile.gif

Also, it is an honor just to read that.

MB3 has already nailed some features otherwise missing from XBMC. There's a lot I like about both, but I only want one . . .

What would it take to win you over?
post #97 of 246 Old 12-24-2013, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:

I think you mistook my post to be talking about the MB3 is coming thread. I was trying to poke mfusick smile.gif
tongue.gif

The good news is I got my PC set up again. Moved all my office furiture, server, desktop down stairs. Re-ran Cat6 and cable to my modem. But now it's Xmas Eve eek.gif So it's family time. We have ultrasound scheduled on 26th, and then a gender reveal party on the weekend to find out the sexes of the twins. I'm trying to get there... but life just keeps getting in the way. Soon. biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #98 of 246 Old 12-24-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

wmc entry points

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #99 of 246 Old 12-26-2013, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Very nice guys! I recently downloaded MB3 but haven't really updated my old setup.

post #100 of 246 Old 12-26-2013, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

Being so OC about getting things to look EXACTLY consistent all through WMC I finally managed to get a Win8 look while at the same time having MediaBrowser Classic match the rest of Media Center.

This is the Un8y Midnight WMC theme with the Crystal theme in MBC, with WMC tiles I found via a post in the MB3 forum and a bit of fiddling with Media Center Themer to get the text colors right.
Any chance you can share your WMC theme/additions? I really like your changes to Un8y
post #101 of 246 Old 12-26-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNate View Post

Any chance you can share your WMC theme/additions? I really like your changes to Un8y

Sure. Link to zipped MCT folder

NNate likes this.
post #102 of 246 Old 12-26-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

Bit perfect audio, selectable so that music is output from SPDIF/USB and movies via HDMI with madVR/SVP in the player.
post #103 of 246 Old 12-28-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

MB theater does support reclock FYI

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #104 of 246 Old 12-28-2013, 03:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

Stock Windows 7 Media Center with library menus by Media Browser 2.6 (Diamond theme)

One of my goals is to try in some ways to keep my system looking stock, but adding some nice touches. That's why I won't upgrade to Media Browser 3 - they removed the ability to launch directly into a "media collection."

I use my system for live tv and disc playback just as much as I do archived media. So I'm normally launching from the main menu of Windows Media Center. I thought having to leave that and then go into another, different menu interface to use Media Browser was a bit jarring.

When Media Browser 2.x crates a new "media collection" it also creates a unique entry point for that collection that can be manipulated in the registry. When I want to watch movies, I click an icon that looks like the default WMC movie library, but it launches me into Media Browser's movie library.

Just read a bit more carefully. What I wanted to do, launch Media Browser's Movie Library directly from the WMC7 stock movie library icon is not possible with my setup using MB3 w/ MBC.
post #105 of 246 Old 12-31-2013, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGuy View Post

Just read a bit more carefully. What I wanted to do, launch Media Browser's Movie Library directly from the WMC7 stock movie library icon is not possible with my setup using MB3 w/ MBC.

This was a reason why he sticks with MB2.6 I think.

-

post #106 of 246 Old 12-31-2013, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Switching gears,

How is everyone handling box sets ? Anyone have some screen shots or videos and examples of how you are handling collections ?

I do my collections sort of like a TV series with all the individual movies inside a main folder.

The metadata I get from MCM is pretty inconsistent at times so I "sort by" YEAR instead of release date so the movies show up in proper order.

Mfusick and curtisb like this.

post #107 of 246 Old 01-01-2014, 12:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

Stock Windows 7 Media Center with library menus by Media Browser 2.6 (Diamond theme)

One of my goals is to try in some ways to keep my system looking stock, but adding some nice touches. That's why I won't upgrade to Media Browser 3 - they removed the ability to launch directly into a "media collection."

I use my system for live tv and disc playback just as much as I do archived media. So I'm normally launching from the main menu of Windows Media Center. I thought having to leave that and then go into another, different menu interface to use Media Browser was a bit jarring.

When Media Browser 2.x crates a new "media collection" it also creates a unique entry point for that collection that can be manipulated in the registry. When I want to watch movies, I click an icon that looks like the default WMC movie library, but it launches me into Media Browser's movie library.

Inside the movie library it doesn't look much different than any other minimal Media Browser theme. I like how it handles tv shows though. A solution for shows and mini series like From the Earth to the Moon were my main impetus for ditching the default movie library:

and I like looking for unique movie posters to put in the gallery:

also created a library for concert videos that sits on the music strip, where I felt it was more appropriate. Most of them were recorded off Palladia and detelecined back to 1080p24 mkv files:

And my favorite reason for Media Browser entry points? My emulator collection made possible through the MB plugin called Game Browser:

Each game system has two icons - the console and the controller. The console is shown by default, but the controller is shown when you highlight it. All of this can be manipulated in the registry. And here is what happens when you select a console:

I play all my classic console games with a Wiimote. I use the basic Wiimote to play NES, the Classic Controller for SNES and Genesis, the nunchuk for Atari games, and I have yet to find a suitable N64/Gamecube solution. I have a PS2 style USB controller that I use for PC games like Vice City, but I don't like trying to use it with N64. Ive seen N64 style USB controllers. Ive also seen an Instructable to use my Ardunio as an N64 to usb adapter. I think after I visit my parents next week that I'll try finding my old green N64 remote and going the Arduino route. I should even be able to make it bluetooth wireless if I screw around with it long enough.

When you select PLAY on a game Game Browser uses the same logic to launch an emulator for a given rom type that MB uses to launch an external player for a given video file type. To close the game and go back I've mapped several of the buttons inside the emulator setup to ALT+F4. Pressing those two together allows me to immediately close the emulator and go back into Game Browser

One of the emulator benefits over consoles is the ability to apply various upscaling filters. They work to smooth out the jagged/pixelated sprites. Heres a screen grab from Mega Man 2:

Even with archived discs and rom files I still use a lot of physical media - I'm a bit surprised WMC actually doesn't support CDs. One of the things I've been doing is using my HTPC to digitally capture old home movies for my parents. That same software (ATI's Catalyst Media Center- it came bundled with my first tuner) also lets me record my favorite talk radio show every day. It drops it into a folder that I can easily access on my phone.

After I launch the VHS capture frontend my remote controls the power, play, stop, fast forward, and rewind buttons on the VCR. On the PC it controls the directional navigation, record, stop record, and rewind/fast forward of the video capture stream. Screen captures of Catalyst Media Center (the software I'm using) didn't work out well with a tape playing, but you can imagine how it looks:

Speaking of radio, I run FM thru my HTPC too:

Ive used my Xbox 360 in extender mode to send the local fm broadcast audio from Steeler, Penguin, and Pitt Panther games to my stereo while my HTPC shows video on my tv.

For new discs I just can't wait to rip, things from the library, or "making of" special feature discs I use Arcsoft Total Media Theater 5. I've ripped out all the PNG files that have a default blue WMCesque background and replaced it with ones that mirror the Mobius theme I'm using

One of the reason I love HTPC is that you don't have to change tv/receiver inputs to use different kinds of media. I've created some MCL files to allow me to access streaming media sites inside WMC without leaving the frontend:

As for tv/dvr usage I organized my guide by channel name and added the wonderful program My Channel Logos. Since I organize by name I don't have to try memorizing channels. If I'm on Root Sports, and I want to watch Turner Classic Movies, I go down. I also got rid of sd channels and anything I won't watch to keep the guide clean.

For DVR control I definitely recommend Ceton's excellent My Media Center app, which is available on most (all?) mobile platforms for a few dollars. Makes finding things to record more fun and also is great for scheduling remotely when you're not at home:

I'm very intrigued by this setup!

I will have to study your post further, but the one that gotten my interest was where you were able to access local radio without having to leave WMC. In my case, I listen to internet radio from out of state so it would be nice for me to have an entry point for that where I could directly access the stream without having to physically exit WMC and then having to open the file for the internet stream. That would be really cool to do it in one interface. Plus the idea to watch some streaming video from a few sites that I visit sometimes. I still have MB 2.6 on one of my machines so I may have to try that out.

As for VHS, I have a good set of those tapes I need to work on at some point too; fortunately I have some broadcast level VHS decks I acquired from ebay sometime ago and software to make the transfers as clean as I can get them.

I'll need to see how i can do that. smile.gif I need to make the time to work on this stuff; I don't have a family or anything so I have all the time I need (aside from my day job) to work with my media collections in further detail. This is good stuff!
post #108 of 246 Old 01-01-2014, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post

I do my collections sort of like a TV series with all the individual movies inside a main folder.

The metadata I get from MCM is pretty inconsistent at times so I "sort by" YEAR instead of release date so the movies show up in proper order.

WOW nice !

Thanks for great post ! THUMBS UP biggrin.gif

-

post #109 of 246 Old 01-01-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

I'm very intrigued by this setup!

I will have to study your post further, but the one that gotten my interest was where you were able to access local radio without having to leave WMC. In my case, I listen to internet radio from out of state so it would be nice for me to have an entry point for that where I could directly access the stream without having to physically exit WMC and then having to open the file for the internet stream. That would be really cool to do it in one interface. Plus the idea to watch some streaming video from a few sites that I visit sometimes. I still have MB 2.6 on one of my machines so I may have to try that out.

I have an FM tuner in my htpc connected to an antenna, so that's where that is coming from. wmc natively supports this (though if someone figured out how to put radio station logos in there theyd be my best pal)

You said internet radio, theres probably a few ways to do this:

1) you could simply open the webpage inside wmc. you would likely need some kind of mouse/trackpad/trackball/etc way to navigate and select.

2) if you have a direct link to a stream you could probably make it appear in your music or video library. I used to watch shuttle launches that way - I downloaded an asx file that opened nasas live streams. theres probably a few other ways to open a direct stream like that

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

post #110 of 246 Old 01-02-2014, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

wmc entry points

http://mediabrowser3.com/community/index.php?/topic/2488-addin-to-launch-specific-mb-profiles-as-workaround-for-entrypoints/
Dark_Slayer likes this.

-

post #111 of 246 Old 01-02-2014, 11:31 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

One of the reason I love HTPC is that you don't have to change tv/receiver inputs to use different kinds of media. I've created some MCL files to allow me to access streaming media sites inside WMC without leaving the frontend:

I admire all the effort you've put into this fine setup. There are lots of things I'd like to incorporate, and this seems like a reasonable place. I'd also love to have embedded links to video services like HBO Go, Hulu, Netflix, and even network web site pages to particular shows. How do I start with MCL files?
post #112 of 246 Old 01-02-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua B View Post

I admire all the effort you've put into this fine setup. There are lots of things I'd like to incorporate, and this seems like a reasonable place. I'd also love to have embedded links to video services like HBO Go, Hulu, Netflix, and even network web site pages to particular shows. How do I start with MCL files?

Three of them actually load different programs. The screenshots I'm adding aren't mine - I found them on the web. But they look exactly the same:

-Netflix takes me into the WMC Windows 7 Netflix app

-Hulu takes me into the Hulu Desktop software. It is/was official Hulu software but I don't think they officially support it anymore. You can't download it off their site but its pretty easy to find the installer around the web. Very htpc centric and what I will be using until it no longer works http://huluwmc.teknowebworks.com/

-WatchESPN takes me into the ESPN3 third party app - I just changed the icon in the registry (though I haven't used this is a long while - not sure how well it still works) http://madeformediacenter.com/m4mc/app.aspx?id=5ca95906-bcce-49e3-9cc0-474121b4fad9

The rest are websites that I open inside of Windows Media Center (which supports Internet Explorer) using MCL files. Pandora, Xfinity On Demand, and HBO Go (which I haven't used since my trial ended) are easily opened inside IE running inside WMC. You just need a mouse type controller to select things (mapping TAB to your WMC remote could possibly work too). I use a Lenovo keypad remote along with a Harmony.

This website will get you up and running on how to create MCL files and where to stick them (its pretty easy to follow along): http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index.php/2010/04/27/displaying-a-webpage-inside-windows-7-media-centre/

AVS user Assassin already put together some, along with a collection of other plug in how to's on his blog: http://assassinhtpcblog.com/wmcplugins/
Joshua B likes this.

post #113 of 246 Old 01-02-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

post #114 of 246 Old 01-02-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have been using J River for workstation control of music but recently have added video. here is a current snapshot of some screens in Theater View. I would like some of the custom views from Workstation Control in Theater View (i.e. sort by KEYWORD)

post #115 of 246 Old 01-02-2014, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Workstation View (my use of the Paint program added an extra header ....)
For music I greatly value the extra level of control for smart lists, tagging and a variety of sorts...not to mention the audio playback control. The one thing Foobar has that I can't replicate in JRiver is viewing the wave file which is useful in comparing masterings.

I like seeing albums sorted by release date.
I like sorting by Keywords I put in Keyword tag (i.e. HiRez, MFSL, Mult-Channel).
I like panes for finding albums and tracks

I use a laptop & remote desktop for music. I also have a tablet but for the most control I prefer the laptop.

post #116 of 246 Old 01-02-2014, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Seems like a nice workaround

sometimes in life you gotta take what you can get... biggrin.gif

One thing I like to do with MB3 that is nice is use different user accounts for different set ups. For example- I have some categories that I don't use everyday. Some stuff is seasonal (like Xmas stuff) and some stuff is dupicate (like ISO for 3D or just ISO to have the full disk features). I don't like BR playback software for ISO so I don't use it much, but sometimes you need to do it if you want special features or you want to playback 3D ISO. So I have a user profile that has just the stuff I use often (movies and TV shows) and does not have clutter with the game browser library, the music library, XMAS, ISO, Workout videos, or my wife TV shows (she has 8TB of trashy girl stuff TV shows she likes I would never watch like reality TV). When I login with my user name I only see the stuff I want. When she logs in- she only sees the stuff she likes. When I login with Admin account I get everything. That's something cool I do.

-

post #117 of 246 Old 01-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

sometimes in life you gotta take what you can get... biggrin.gif

One thing I like to do with MB3 that is nice is use different user accounts for different set ups. For example- I have some categories that I don't use everyday. Some stuff is seasonal (like Xmas stuff) and some stuff is dupicate (like ISO for 3D or just ISO to have the full disk features). I don't like BR playback software for ISO so I don't use it much, but sometimes you need to do it if you want special features or you want to playback 3D ISO. So I have a user profile that has just the stuff I use often (movies and TV shows) and does not have clutter with the game browser library, the music library, XMAS, ISO, Workout videos, or my wife TV shows (she has 8TB of trashy girl stuff TV shows she likes I would never watch like reality TV). When I login with my user name I only see the stuff I want. When she logs in- she only sees the stuff she likes. When I login with Admin account I get everything. That's something cool I do.

Better hope she isn't reading this..lol!

Been thinking of separating user accounts myself. Especially for Christmas and Holiday, which I rather not see that category during the year, my first thought was to simply remove them from the collection in the MB3 server console and just re-add the collection when holiday time comes around. Then again, I could adapt of simply just using a separate user account with just the categories that I would use, which mostly be for TV shows and movies.
post #118 of 246 Old 01-03-2014, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

Better hope she isn't reading this..lol!

Lol! I think she would be ok. We joke about this often. Although "trashy girl stuff" doesn't mean lesbo porn tongue.gif I am talking about stupid TV programs like Gypsy Wedding, Cheaters, Buckwild, Catfish, Long Island Medium, Honey boo, Mob wives, Millionaire Matchmaker, etc... I consider this "crap" After a while I ended up making her a folder just for her TV shows, and mine go into another. We have different user profiles. Her profile has both TV shows and her TV shows, but mine does not have hers since I would never watch it. Anything I would never watch that is for her only goes into her folder upon organization set up (I do that). The Admin account has everything.

This is really a feature so that I can sort through everything and narrow it down to what I probably want quicker (which is TV show or Movies mostly) without needing to navigate too much stuff.

-

post #119 of 246 Old 01-03-2014, 07:21 AM

Hopefully you guys don't mind our web client jumping in, especially with the new mobile and tablet layouts ..

Mfusick likes this.
post #120 of 246 Old 01-03-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:

Hopefully you guys don't mind our web client jumping in, especially with the new mobile and tablet layouts ..

Looks great Luke!

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asus , Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Mediabrowser , Mediabrowser 3
Gear in this thread - Lga1150 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page