HTPC to Receiver, Noticed Audio Quality Loss...... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-13-2013, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using foobar2000 with wasapi output connected via hdmi cable to a onkyo receiver, audio quality is flac/loss-less format. Volume on htpc is set to default max in windows audio control. Even tried xbmc, jriver, and media monkey with wasapi output selected. Everything sounds fantastic crystal clear & quality is amazing. Then I decided to compare it with the exact same song selections, copied it to a usb flash drive, played it through the front usb panel on the receiver. I would play the 1min of a song, toggle back and fourth between the htpc & usb drive. I noticed a difference in sound, Its not really too noticeable unless you're really concentrating on it, the quality of the audio playing from the usb drive that's connected to receiver has a little bit of oomph it in, it has a bit more fuller sound, noticeable specially on track that has bass. Volume wise sounds about the same, planning to get a spl meter to verify. Not sure if this is happening on the blue-ray HD audio playback, since I built my htpc, i got rid of my blu-ray player, so i have nothing to compare it to.

Has anyone experienced this, if so any suggestions or settings I can try on the htpc?

Here is some of my system specs:

Htpc: A8-5600K with Radeon HD 7560D graphics
Receiver: Onkyo NR-809 strictly in "pure audio" mode when listening to music.
Speakers: Klipsch RF82II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-13-2013, 03:03 AM

Liked: 17
Sounds like a interesting experiment. How are you "balancing" the volume between the 2 inputs? Even a slight difference could account for the difference that you here.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin
post #3 of 4 Old 12-13-2013, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post

Sounds like a interesting experiment. How are you "balancing" the volume between the 2 inputs? Even a slight difference could account for the difference that you here.

I mainly use foobar, volume is set to max on all players
post #4 of 4 Old 12-14-2013, 07:47 AM

Liked: 17
" How are you "balancing" the volume between the 2 inputs? Even a slight difference could account for the difference that you here."

I'm was wondering how your balancing the inputs on the Onkyo. The level of the feed from your computer and the USB input on your receiver should be matched to compare the sound of 2 different sources. Quite often they don't match. I general people perceive a louder source as sounding better.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page