AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaytorial View Post

Afternoon All,

First of all really interesting thread. I am looking to build an HTPC in the new year and this thread has got me almost all the way there.

My HTPC so far

The operating system will most likely be windows 8.1. My girlfriend is in her final year of Uni and can download this from her Uni network for free (or purchase the DVD for £50). Also, ignore the WD reds, they are going in a Synology DS413J.

I do have a few questions though. Some of which have been touched upon on this forum:

1. I use my harmony 700 remote a lot so it would be good to know whether anything can be added to this motherboard to allow me to use my remote to both control (AND) turn the PC on and off? Without remote control I don't think I'll be able to sell this idea to my girlfriend, who I am moving in with after she is done with her exams (hoping to have a bug free working system before then).

2. Does anyone have any advice on TV tuners for use in the UK. I know I can use TVcatchup, but might be useful for recording match of day if I am out drinking on a Saturday night (that's our EPL soccer highlights show).

3. In future, mostly depending on the success of the steam controller this PC may also become a living room gaming centre. The SST-GD08B
 looks like a very tidy case and looks very popular on this thread. Would I be able to find a decent GFX card to fit in this case?

4. With the above in mind can anyone suggest a decent PSU? If I just pick a gold rated PSU around 400-450W would there be much difference in quality?

5. I never burn discs, but it may become useful to have a bluray player, would something like this be ok: (http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/pioneer-optical-drive-bdc207dbk)?

Thanks in advance for all your help
(and have a happy new year)

Chaytorial

1. Why? Its much more wife friendly to just wake it from sleep. You actually will probably come out ahead financially if you didn't add an IR header as the cost of that header likely is more than any small energy savings as a HTPC only uses a few watts while sleeping. Plus that header is adding to e-waste so if you are doing it to be green this is also counter productive.

2. I can't comment as I am in the US.

3. Yes

4. Get a good PSU manufacturer in the 400-500w range. And know that some "modular" PSUs aren't fully modular and if they aren't they won't decrease clutter as significantly.

5. All you need is a bluray player (not a burner --- unless you want one) to play and rip blurays. Note that to play bluray discs you will need third party software ($50-$100) as this is not supported in Win7 or 8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 426 Old 12-31-2013, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am looking to create my 1st HTPC set up and have been following your thread and have some questions about what route i should take for my build and why you (or anyone else who wants to weigh in) went the route you did.
I guess my question really boils down to this, why did you build an htpc instead of just having a NAS and streaming your content to a networked media streamer?
Do you plan on using your HTPC for anything else but playback of media? ie gaming etc? If so , was that a factor on going the HTPC route?
Will an HTPC stream videos as well as a NAS to other media extenders or phones/tablets?
For future storage needs, can the HTPC like the one your building be able to scale to 16-20 tb of storage as your collection grows/you incorporate recordings from cable card etc?
Is integrating an HTPC into your home theater as easy as integrating a networked media streamer like a popcorn hour?

I am in no way critiquing what you are doing, i am just new to this and before i invest i am trying to figure out the best option. To me it seems like cost wise, building a server/nas and putting in a media extender vs an htpc like you are doing really cost about the same so it seems like it boils down to preference.

Thanks for any info, and keep us updated how the build progresses :-) I love the case you picked out and the machine seems like it will be a beast!

My Theater build
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21268949
xboxone gamertag: MASTERpTWINKIE
PS3: zaczimer
post #183 of 426 Old 12-31-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I like the coolermaster ones. They work very well (think 95% performance) for less than 50% of the cost of the expensive ones ($80+)

For builds that can fit it I would get a $29 212 EVO Model likes this : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
(I use this myself)

If you need a different fit I like these Geminii Coolermaster units

The first one is out of stock at Newegg

Do you think the following will work size wise in my case? Pretty sure if works with my CPU as it is 1150 socket
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103100

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3050&product_name=GeminII S524

1.jpg?

2.jpg?1895849379

feature6.jpg

I think I have some Artic Silver 5 left over from when I got RLOD for my PS3 and I needed a temp fix. If not, I'll pick some up at MicroCenter

My only gripe is it is a 5 cylinder...I'm all about the V8 smile.gif

1-6-07013.jpg

1-6-07027.jpg
post #184 of 426 Old 12-31-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 1037
It actually comes with MX-4 thermal paste BTW...

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #185 of 426 Old 12-31-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I think that fan will fit just fine. My Noctua C14 fit fully assembled, and it is larger. Dual optical drives will make it tricky, but I was able to get the upper to fit by bending the sata and power cables upward (and down) between the fan and the drive. One side of the power going up to the SSD above the BR drive, the other side of the power folded down.

post #186 of 426 Old 12-31-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It actually comes with MX-4 thermal paste BTW...
$8 back in my pocket...if I have Artic Silver 5, should I use that instead?
post #187 of 426 Old 12-31-2013, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post

I think that fan will fit just fine. My Noctua C14 fit fully assembled, at it is larger. Dual optical drives will make it tricky, but I was able to get the upper to fit by bending the sata and power cables upward (and down) between the fan and the drive. One side of the power going up to the SSD above the BR drive, the other side of the power folded down.

Awesome pics! Thank You!

Ordering now! Should get here by Friday with 2 day shipping

Its funny what the case looks like before and after install...all that real estate goes away quickly
post #188 of 426 Old 12-31-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I'm not close to using all the hard drive bays, so this spot on the right gave me room to stuff the unused power cables. I think a much shorter USB 3 cable, outfitted with a right angle adapter would go a long way to making some room. The one installed in the case is long enough to reach anywhere.

post #189 of 426 Old 12-31-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

I like the Silver 5 over the coolermaster stuff that comes with it but we are splitting hairs here. I have a couple tubes of the coolermaster stuff that came with the two fans I bought, I used silver5 because I had it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #190 of 426 Old 12-31-2013, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

Afternoon All,

First of all really interesting thread. I am looking to build an HTPC in the new year and this thread has got me almost all the way there.

My HTPC so far

The operating system will most likely be windows 8.1. My girlfriend is in her final year of Uni and can download this from her Uni network for free (or purchase the DVD for £50). Also, ignore the WD reds, they are going in a Synology DS413J.

I do have a few questions though. Some of which have been touched upon on this forum:

1. I use my harmony 700 remote a lot so it would be good to know whether anything can be added to this motherboard to allow me to use my remote to both control (AND) turn the PC on and off? Without remote control I don't think I'll be able to sell this idea to my girlfriend, who I am moving in with after she is done with her exams (hoping to have a bug free working system before then).

2. Does anyone have any advice on TV tuners for use in the UK. I know I can use TVcatchup, but might be useful for recording match of day if I am out drinking on a Saturday night (that's our EPL soccer highlights show).

3. In future, mostly depending on the success of the steam controller this PC may also become a living room gaming centre. The SST-GD08B
 looks like a very tidy case and looks very popular on this thread. Would I be able to find a decent GFX card to fit in this case?

4. With the above in mind can anyone suggest a decent PSU? If I just pick a gold rated PSU around 400-450W would there be much difference in quality?

5. I never burn discs, but it may become useful to have a bluray player, would something like this be ok: (http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/pioneer-optical-drive-bdc207dbk)?

Thanks in advance for all your help
(and have a happy new year)

Chaytorial

Your parts so far look very similar to what I have, from CPU, GSkill Trident, and Samsung SSD, I also have the case you're considering as well , so I would say you're doing well so far.

Keep us posted how things go.

Djoel
post #191 of 426 Old 12-31-2013, 10:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Either is fine. Save your $8.
post #192 of 426 Old 01-01-2014, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

Depends on how you get your signal. There are basically three main reliable tuner vendors:

Digital-devices.de - Germany
TBSDTV.com - China
Blackgold.tv - U.K

Digital Devices are the most expensive but extremely well built. TBS are much cheaper and probably work just fine for most users. Blackgold have DVB-T2 and some interesting hybrid tuners.
post #193 of 426 Old 01-01-2014, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post

The Asrock motherboard has an infrared header. A sensor can be added for control with a remote.
The case will allow for a pretty stout graphic card (up to 13.6 inches (34.5cm))
I would recommend a modular PSU if you want it to stay tidy. My PSU is not modular, and I regret that decision (a little bit).
That should work.

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll have a look at those modular PSUs. Do you have any suggestions?

post #194 of 426 Old 01-01-2014, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

1. Why? Its much more wife friendly to just wake it from sleep. You actually will probably come out ahead financially if you didn't add an IR header as the cost of that header likely is more than any small energy savings as a HTPC only uses a few watts while sleeping. Plus that header is adding to e-waste so if you are doing it to be green this is also counter productive.

2. I can't comment as I am in the US.

3. Yes

4. Get a good PSU manufacturer in the 400-500w range. And know that some "modular" PSUs aren't fully modular and if they aren't they won't decrease clutter as significantly.

5. All you need is a bluray player (not a burner --- unless you want one) to play and rip blurays. Note that to play bluray discs you will need third party software ($50-$100) as this is not supported in Win7 or 8.

Thanks for the advice. Having not really utilised sleep mode before on my gaming PCs I didn't really even think of that. Would that be usable with just a regular USB IR receiver? Do you have any suggestions?

Would probably need to to sleep/wake, then navigate around netflix, plex, media browser etc.

post #195 of 426 Old 01-01-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll have a look at those modular PSUs. Do you have any suggestions?

I'm not Baniels, but I've been sweating this ONE

It's expensive compare to others of course, but darnet it's looks like a sports car biggrin.gif

Djoel
post #196 of 426 Old 01-01-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the advice. Having not really utilised sleep mode before on my gaming PCs I didn't really even think of that. Would that be usable with just a regular USB IR receiver? Do you have any suggestions?

Would probably need to to sleep/wake, then navigate around netflix, plex, media browser etc.

Depends on the motherboard but the answer is usually yes. I use the lenovo remote on all of my htpcs (I have a harmony one as well) and they all can wake it from sleep via usb.
post #197 of 426 Old 01-01-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I'm not Baniels, but I've been sweating this ONE

It's expensive compare to others of course, but darnet it's looks like a sports car biggrin.gif

Djoel

Lol that's a superflower OEM too just like the one you have now (just nicer) [and more $]

-

post #198 of 426 Old 01-01-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lol that's a superflower OEM too just like the one you have now (just nicer) [and more $]

I'll be darn ignorance is bliss biggrin.gif

Dan
post #199 of 426 Old 01-01-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

-

post #200 of 426 Old 01-01-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Question regarding quality through htpc playback.

Still on the fence and was wondering if there will be a quality difference in viewing from a htpc a full bluray iso file backup to backing them up on a bdr and using my panasonic bluray player ?
post #201 of 426 Old 01-01-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There is no difference in quality as the same resolution. The HTPC can be superior if you are increasing resolution.

Specifically:

Playback of a 1080p BR ISO or MKV rip from HTPC is just as good as playing the disc in your player.

Playback of a 480p DVD on HTPC using MadVR rendering can be better then direct playback of the disc in your player.

At no point should the HTPC be any worse.

-

post #202 of 426 Old 01-01-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

Question regarding quality through htpc playback.

Still on the fence and was wondering if there will be a quality difference in viewing from a htpc a full bluray iso file backup to backing them up on a bdr and using my panasonic bluray player ?
There will be no difference.
Why rip iso's? Do you really want all the extra crap studios fill the discs with?
post #203 of 426 Old 01-01-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 39
So no matter what graphics card I'm using either a gtx 460 or a gtx 760 there will not be a difference? Sometimes I like to view the extras on some disks
post #204 of 426 Old 01-01-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So no matter what graphics card I'm using either a gtx 460 or a gtx 760 there will not be a difference?
Not for standard playback. The iGPU in most processors is enough for 2D. I forget what iGPU you need for 3D as I hate it, so not interested.
Quote:

Sometimes I like to view the extras on some disks
Enough to waste all that storage on?
post #205 of 426 Old 01-01-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

Why rip iso's? Do you really want all the extra crap studios fill the discs with?

Excuse my ignorance, but is ISO synonymous to ripping the entire disc, warts and all? I was trying to read the wiki page on the all things ISO but have found myself more confuse than when I started.

DJoel.
post #206 of 426 Old 01-01-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Excuse my ignorance, but is ISO synonymous to ripping the entire disc, warts and all?
Yes, it's an exact duplicate of the disc and you'll need appropriate software to play it back.
post #207 of 426 Old 01-01-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, it's an exact duplicate of the disc and you'll need appropriate software to play it back.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this.

Djoel
post #208 of 426 Old 01-01-2014, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:

Quote:

Excuse my ignorance, but is ISO synonymous to ripping the entire disc, warts and all? I was trying to read the wiki page on the all things ISO but have found myself more confuse than when I started.
Quote:

ISO is just a container. Popular containers are MKV, ISO, MP4, MOV, VOB, WTV, AVI

There are 2 folders within the ISO container on a DVD, Video_TS and Audio_TS. Blu ray will have BDMV and Certificate folders.

I don't really think anyone prefers to rip folder structures, iso, mkv, mp4, but instead just end up with whatever ripping software they choose.

If you were using DVDFab to rip you could choose just the main title, rip to folder structure, and convert to iso

Lot of people have full iso (I think) because the MyMovies WHS software was so easy to use and would truly "autorip" an entire library with no interaction required other than loading and unloading the discs

While there are reasons for ripping to mp4 instead of mkv, I can't think of a good reason for having iso files other than your ripping software made life easier and you ended up with iso.
post #209 of 426 Old 01-02-2014, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

ISO is just a container.
Thanks. I was parroting what my IT guy told me, but as he's bricked my laptop twice, I should have known he'd be wrong.
post #210 of 426 Old 01-02-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sometimes.

Generally I don't want all the extra "crap" but on some titles I might for whatever reason.
Usually these are favorites or ones we are super interested in and this would watch the extra features.

The biggest reason is usually 3D. I find ISO to be best on 3D titles. MKV sucks for 3D.
Emaster likes this.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Asrock , Silverstone Black Milo Series Ml05b Mini Itx Media Center Htpc Case , Rosewill , Seagate , Seagate Hard Drives , Seagate Stbv4000100 4tb Expansion Desktop Drive , Mediabrowser 3 , Mediabrowser
Gear in this thread - Lga1150 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page