Cannot get 4K on Seiki Digital SE39UY04 with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 12-13-2013, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello.

I just received my Seiki Digital SE39UY04 39-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz LED TV from Amazon and I'm having troubles getting 4k resolution. I'm using the HDMI cable that came with.

I have Windows 8.1.
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gt-650m/specifications (Here it says it supports 4k). Also here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M.71887.0.html
Screenshot computer specs: http://oi40.tinypic.com/33ynako.jpg
Screenshot NVIDIA Control Panel: http://oi39.tinypic.com/6dsp6f.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFkdWHfb1kM
The guys in this video gets the 4k-resulution directly when they connect the HDMI 4.1 that came in the box. I checked the settings but I can't find anything.

So please help me, and don't say I cant get 4k because of my graphics card et.c. would get very sad because I really want the 4k-resolution. In that case - worst case scenario, how easy is it go get a new graphics card that supports 4k installed in my laptop?

http://www.terracode.com/Seiki_SE39UY04_review/Seiki_SE39UY04_review_P1.html
When I check this review and see the http://www.terracode.com/Seiki_SE39UY04_review/images/1080P_120Hz_Setting.jpg (look further up for my own settings) it seems like I can't even access the settings for using the 4k-resolution.

Do I need to download new drivers for my graphic card or something like that?

Please help, I really want this to work!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 12-14-2013, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Title edited. Thread moved.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 50 Old 12-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

So please help me, and don't say I cant get 4k because of my graphics card et.c. would get very sad because I really want the 4k-resolution. In that case - worst case scenario, how easy is it go get a new graphics card that supports 4k installed in my laptop?

mission impossible. it's possibile in really big laptop but even than a new one is normally way cheaper.

Quote:

Do I need to download new drivers for my graphic card or something like that?

no but give it a try.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

my guess this is a dual gpu laptop with intel hd4000 and nvidia 650m this can be really really tricky or even impossible.

post #4 of 50 Old 12-16-2013, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
At what refresh rate are you trying to set the UHD resolution? These TVs do not support it at higher than 30 Hz, this is why they are so cheap. It was in the manual for the 50" UHD Seiki.
post #5 of 50 Old 12-16-2013, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 250
It was limited by HDMI spec to 4K @30p max. Anyone use it as PC monitor will be waste of money unless all you want is watching 24p movies.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 50 Old 12-19-2013, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

ok this is going to be off topic but for what reason did you need 60 hz ? even gamer can life with 30 hz. i personally can't do it but i'm a 120 hz user.

and for video only 60p, 50p 60i sports and 50i sports can make problems. normal transportstreams are 3:2 or 2:2 so no harm done.

post #7 of 50 Old 12-19-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Obviously you are not a gamer. screen refresh rate limits max game fps (V-sync on). Game fps is life or death in some cases.
post #8 of 50 Old 12-19-2013, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post

ok this is going to be off topic but for what reason did you need 60 hz ?

Just moving the mouse pointer will be torture.
post #9 of 50 Old 12-19-2013, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Obviously you are not a gamer. screen refresh rate limits max game fps (V-sync on). Game fps is life or death in some cases.

like i said i can't do this but in the end a lot of gamer play games with avg of 25 fps.

i personally use a vg248 with lightboost hack so in my eyes it is torture. but my personal view is not the view of all.

Quote:
Just moving the mouse pointer will be torture.

that's not that bad in my eyes i can easy use my htpc at 23 hz no question it is very notable but still not that worse that you have to change it back to 60 hz. 30 ms compared to the 16.7 ms is nothing to the input lag a normal tv got, just 14 ms more,,,

post #10 of 50 Old 01-02-2014, 07:42 PM

I have 3 30" 2560 X 1600 displays attached to my Mac & need more screen space. I have a 70" 1920 X 1090 tv attached to my system for TV, video & for my customers to see needed information. This means that my planned use is as a large display. I'm not a game player. For that reason I will never make any comment as to game use on any screen size or resolution. Movies, TV use & any other video or photograph use I've done so I know enough to agree or disagree with someones comment. But using one or more displays to show large windows or many large or small windows I've had over 25 years of use & practice on a Mac. I've used Excel on my Mac since 1985. I use a 3600 line by 150 column spreadsheet for everyone of my 600 or so customers. That spreadsheet is linked to at 1 more open sheets. Many times there may be 6 or more opened spreadsheets for one year with generally 2 years information open for each customer. Then the current years information must be copied from the Mac Excel sheet to an efiling program that I have been running with Windows ZP, 7, or 8. That means 1 or more opened windows on my Mac. I wish that I would be able to run 3 of these displays. 

I'm not the only one that needs more screen space to use our computers. 

post #11 of 50 Old 01-02-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisetax View Post

I have 3 30" 2560 X 1600 displays attached to my Mac & need more screen space. I have a 70" 1920 X 1090 tv attached to my system for TV, video & for my customers to see needed information. This means that my planned use is as a large display. I'm not a game player. For that reason I will never make any comment as to game use on any screen size or resolution. Movies, TV use & any other video or photograph use I've done so I know enough to agree or disagree with someones comment. But using one or more displays to show large windows or many large or small windows I've had over 25 years of use & practice on a Mac. I've used Excel on my Mac since 1985. I use a 3600 line by 150 column spreadsheet for everyone of my 600 or so customers. That spreadsheet is linked to at 1 more open sheets. Many times there may be 6 or more opened spreadsheets for one year with generally 2 years information open for each customer. Then the current years information must be copied from the Mac Excel sheet to an efiling program that I have been running with Windows ZP, 7, or 8. That means 1 or more opened windows on my Mac. I wish that I would be able to run 3 of these displays. 

I'm not the only one that needs more screen space to use our computers. 

What this rambling has anything to do with this thread's topic. The OP's problem is that he has a 4K TV which only has HDMI 1.4 connection which limits his refresh rate. Macs are typically connected via DisplayPort to monitors which does not have the limitation of the said HDMI 1.x.
post #12 of 50 Old 01-02-2014, 08:15 PM

My reply was to someone that thought because he seemed to think that everyone uses a computer the same way that he does. Which is generally not correct. 

Your comment about a Mac's connection is probably only partially correct. Macs have a very limited number of video cards with which they can choose from, or they may have only built-in video in the Intel Macs of the past 8 years. So many of the video cards will have the same problem that this discussion is about. 

But you must remember that the limitation in this matter is the same on a Mac as it will be with Windows. And that is the limit of HDMI 1.4 not the operating system. I have a choice of 3 video cards with my Mac Pro & only an ATI 6770 in my Mac Laptop. I will have to answer the same questions as have been asked here, but I will just have to say a different video card. You must remember now that a Mac computer is the same as a Windows computer but with a slightly different bios system to start the computer. Operating systems are much different but the hardware is no different. In fact there is a growing number of Mac Users that build their own Windows computer but go through the needed changeds & run the Mac OS on it. I can boot my Intel Macs straight into Windows with no Mac OS if I want to.

post #13 of 50 Old 01-17-2014, 03:24 PM

I am having the same issue as the OP. The problem is my laptop is using the internal intel hd4000 graphics driver to drive the display instead of the gt650m. I've installed the latest nvidia driver, but no luck being able to access the display/resolution settings in the Nvidia control panel. Any idea how to force win7 to use the gt650m? 

post #14 of 50 Old 01-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

i know there are options to force the  use of the nvidia card with some programs but for the desktop i don't know if that's even possible try to disable the hd4000 in bios try high performance mode in power saving.

post #15 of 50 Old 01-17-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by teekhanlee View Post

I am having the same issue as the OP. The problem is my laptop is using the internal intel hd4000 graphics driver to drive the display instead of the gt650m. I've installed the latest nvidia driver, but no luck being able to access the display/resolution settings in the Nvidia control panel. Any idea how to force win7 to use the gt650m? 

The laptop display uses the iGPU. The HDMI output uses the Nvidia 650M.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #16 of 50 Old 01-17-2014, 04:13 PM

The HDMI isn't using the 650M , as seen below. You can see its listed as a monitor "on the HD 4000". 

Here's the screenshot of my NVIDIA Control Panel , where it's not letting me change the display/resolution settings:

post #17 of 50 Old 01-17-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:

i know there are options to force the  use of the nvidia card with some programs but for the desktop i don't know if that's even possible try to disable the hd4000 in bios try high performance mode in power saving.

Ya.. there isn't a way to disable the HD4000 in the DV6 bios, and I've tried all high performance modes. Sucks because http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gt-650m/specifications clearly states that the GT650M supports 4k resolution via HDMI, but apparently it's the optimus setup on the dv6 that doesn't allow you to use use the 650m... looks like all output flows through the HD4000 no matter what you do. 

post #18 of 50 Old 01-17-2014, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

nvidia optimus doesn't work like that.

try that http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-and-U-series-Laptops/Switching-between-Nvidia-and-Intel-onboard-Graphics/ta-p/949633 

post #19 of 50 Old 01-17-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:

try that http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-and-U-series-Laptops/Switching-between-Nvidia-and-Intel-onboard-Graphics/ta-p/949633 

I've tried changing that setting, but it still doesn't allow me to change the resolution of the display... it just runs all programs with the 650m, but the display itself/resolution is still controlled via the intel setting. I'm going to giveup on getting this laptop to dislpay 4k to the seiki and just go build a small PC with the cheapest GPU that'll output 4k via HDMI :(

post #20 of 50 Old 01-17-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

sorry to inform you, but nvidia optimus has nothing to do with what display driver a particular display panel is using.
It only kicks in for certain 'processes' not certain display panels.

My previous statement stands.

post #21 of 50 Old 01-17-2014, 04:55 PM

I can tell the seiki is being detected right, because when i run this custom res util shown below I see 3840x2160 as an available resolution

post #22 of 50 Old 01-17-2014, 04:59 PM

I also tried to add a custom resolution in the intel control panel, no luck there:

post #23 of 50 Old 01-17-2014, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

sorry to inform you, but nvidia optimus has nothing to do with what display driver a particular display panel is using.
It only kicks in for certain 'processes' not certain display panels.

My previous statement stands.

the hdmi port is shared. you can see that on the screens so it's not like you can put a screen on the hdmi slot and get the nvidia running on it. i now a german blog that stated the hdmi port is shared not nvidia only.

judging the newest screen the build in shared hdmi port is 1.2 or lower so no chance.

1.3 doesn't have 4k support but the brandwidth 340 Gbit/s is like 1.4 so a custom resolution >should< work with 1.3.

i can't believe that they still build in 165 mhz chips. i hope your intel screen is wrong and it's an 340 mhz chip and you can get it working somehow. the screen shows really old intel driver they changed the gui a year a go to this: http://www.intel.com/support/images/IntelHDGraphicsControlPanelDisplay.jpg so try to update your driver and hope. you may got old driver from your laptop vendor page try it here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

post #24 of 50 Old 01-17-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the hdmi port is shared. you can see that on the screens so it's not like you can put a screen on the hdmi slot and get the nvidia running on it. i now a german blog that stated the hdmi port is shared not nvidia only.

sure would be nice if you spoke with experience instead of hearsay.

post #25 of 50 Old 01-17-2014, 05:49 PM

The HDMI port on this laptop is 1.4a , according to the HP documentation. I'm trying to upgrade the intel drivier now..

post #26 of 50 Old 01-17-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:

judging the newest screen the build in shared hdmi port is 1.2 or lower so no chance.

1.3 doesn't have 4k support but the brandwidth 340 Gbit/s is like 1.4 so a custom resolution >should< work with 1.3.

i can't believe that they still build in 165 mhz chips. i hope your intel screen is wrong and it's an 340 mhz chip and you can get it working somehow. the screen shows really old intel driver they changed the gui a year a go to this: http://www.intel.com/support/images/IntelHDGraphicsControlPanelDisplay.jpg so try to update your driver and hope. you may got old driver from your laptop vendor page try it here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

The latest drives from intel wouldn't install on this dv6t-7000 laptop, the latest drivers that install are the same ones i took the screenshot of, its a package that comes from the HP driver site. So essentially HP charges extra for the 2GB GT650M, but then you can't actually use all of its features, nice. 

post #27 of 50 Old 01-17-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

To steer you in the correct direction, the hdmi port uses Nvidia, not Intel.
You should go to NVidia.com and install current drivers for your 650m.

With your new display connected DIRECTLY (PC-->Display) and turned on . . .
In the Nividi control panel, under Display --> change resolution - is the 4k resolution listed?
I don't have a 4k panel so of course it isn't listed for me. (my laptop, asus N76V is similar to yours)

post #28 of 50 Old 01-17-2014, 06:15 PM

According to http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-processor-graphics  , only the HD4400 + supports 3840x2160@30Hz (haswell processors, whereas mine's an ivy bridge). 

post #29 of 50 Old 01-17-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:

To steer you in the correct direction, the hdmi port uses Nvidia, not Intel.
You should go to NVidia.com and install current drivers for your 650m.

With your new display connected DIRECTLY (PC-->Display) and turned on . . .
In the Nividi control panel, under Display --> change resolution - is the 4k resolution listed?
I don't have a 4k panel so of course it isn't listed for me. (my laptop, asus N76V is similar to yours)

Shark007 - I wish i could do that. In the Nvidia Control Panel, i don't have the option for Display, as you can see below: This is because the intel is driving the display, not the 650m. There isn't anyway to disable the hd4000 in the bios, and disabling the driver in windows doesn't work either. 

post #30 of 50 Old 01-17-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I can repeat myself, I guess...
"go to NVidia.com and install current drivers for your 650m"

Reply Home Theater Computers