Solution for Jitter on Video Capture - VHS to PC - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 78 Old 01-15-2014, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just thought I would chime in here. I had a bunch of old VHS tapes to digitize and used a camcorder with firewire for the interface. I experimented with a couple of other different capture devices before trying the camcorder and the firewire solution was by far the cleanest. The captures were perfect. Not sure if the camcorder was doing some time base correction but it was obviously superior to everything else I had tried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 01-15-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Please elaborate....How did you use it as an "interface"? Do you mean you had a VHS Camcorder that has Firewire? I would bet that is something hard to find.
I have a Mini DV camera that has firewire, and it is pretty flawless to transfer as well. I'm wondering if there is a way to connect to my VCR to capture via the Mini DV...and then transfer to digital. I hate to buy something that may, or may not, work for approx. 10 -15 tapes...

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #63 of 78 Old 01-15-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Farm View Post

Laptop worked for capture. Still get some frame drops but small number. I have captured three tapes with acceptable quality and run one tape through to DVD and tested good. I think we can mark this thread solved. Is there a way to do that? Thanks again for all your help.

If the number of frame drops is very small, it might be due to the poor quality of your VHS source tapes. But I'm just speculating.

As for the guy who mentioned using his Firewire camcorder, maybe he was able to connect his VCR to the camcorders analogue inputs (RCA), while at the same time connecting the cameras FireWire jack to his capture card? Otherwise he could transfer the footage to a MiniDV tape and then play that to the computer. But that would further degrade the image by another generation.

anyway, I'm glad the OP found a way to capture his footage without spending a fortune. I recommend he buy an external drive and back up all that footage b4 the tapes further degrade. Keep copies on two drives and transfer to new drives every four or five years if possible. Eventually those tapes will become un-playable.

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #64 of 78 Old 01-16-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

Please elaborate....How did you use it as an "interface"? Do you mean you had a VHS Camcorder that has Firewire? I would bet that is something hard to find.
I have a Mini DV camera that has firewire, and it is pretty flawless to transfer as well. I'm wondering if there is a way to connect to my VCR to capture via the Mini DV...and then transfer to digital. I hate to buy something that may, or may not, work for approx. 10 -15 tapes...

Yes, that is it exactly. A mini-dv camcorder with a composite+LR audio input. Set the camcorder to external input (most will have this option) and connect with a yellow, red, white to one of those 1/8 inch connectors with video, left, right conductors.
Then firewire to the pc. Depending on your capture software, you will need to turn off machine control because you are not using a mini-dv tape. You do not need to capture to the mini-dv, then to the PC. The camcorder will convert the composite video+audio to firewire and allow a direct capture to the PC in one step. Works great. An acquaintance said that it even works for many macrovision tapes.
post #65 of 78 Old 01-16-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I was hoping this was the case, (since I knew I had this cable in my camera bag...) I pulled everything out last night, to see if it was possible, but it appears to be output only...for now. Poked around in the menu, but did not see any way to change it, yet. Guess I'll have to dig out the book...
What capture software are you using? I have heard good things about Windows Movie Maker...but haven't used it yet.
I may have a couple others laying around from old PC's...

post #66 of 78 Old 01-16-2014, 10:08 AM

I have 3 different mini-dv cams and all have this feature. I'll bet that yours does too. Sometimes the menus don't make much sense. I use final cut pro X for capture on my mac but in my PC I would use Sony Vegas. Sony makes several varieties ranging from $50 to $600. Go to the Sony website and compare but the cheap version will do quite a lot. Sony has trial versions for download of all their toys. Windows movie maker should work just fine for capture also. Both products capture to an .avi file. You will probably want to convert it to an H.264 type of file for storage though as .AVI files use around 9-10 GB per hour of SD video. There are several free converters out there that will do the trick and even the cheap version of Vegas will render a .MP4 video file.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/compare
post #67 of 78 Old 01-16-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank You...
I have done a little reading, and it appears the camera needs "passthrough"...(something I didn't find in the manual, and I know that you can burn out analog inputs, by connecting them incorrectly). Not sure if I want to risk it on the family movie camera.

I have done some .avi files in the past, but they seem to corrupt easily? I have a few on my server, that seem to be hogging resources and bogging down Media Player. (They will even lock up explorer, while browsing the windows library. I have tried a couple divx repair programs, with no luck.

I have no desire at this time to purchase software to capture, thanks anyway...maybe down the road. (out of work now, and this is the best time to tackle this project.) I also have a few different programs purchased in the past, that may work.

post #68 of 78 Old 01-17-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

it appears the camera needs "passthrough"...

Kevin, what model is your camera?
post #69 of 78 Old 01-17-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Panasonic PV-GS31
Further perusing of the manual refers to the jack as (AV Out)

post #70 of 78 Old 01-17-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Another quick question:
What is the best container to save Home Movie files?

post #71 of 78 Old 02-26-2014, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been absent for awhile, fighting frozen water pipes and sneaking in an occasional tape conversion. Almost finished (with the tapes, winter doesn't want to go away). All working fine on tapes.

I just went through some of the conversions and noticed that all have a smeared image in the last few lines. Almost like there's a frame adjust somewhere. I haven't found any way to control the 510-USB except through Studio and can't find hardware type controls in there. Any suggestions?
post #72 of 78 Old 02-26-2014, 09:06 AM

If you are talking about the bottom few lines skewed sideways, that's probably head switching. All analog helical scan video tapes have it but the overscan of most monitors hides it. Time base correction in expensive broadcast machines also takes care of it.

If you want to totally eliminate it, you will have to crop it out with an editing program and re-render.
post #73 of 78 Old 02-26-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Farm View Post

I've been absent for awhile, fighting frozen water pipes and sneaking in an occasional tape conversion. Almost finished (with the tapes, winter doesn't want to go away). All working fine on tapes.

I just went through some of the conversions and noticed that all have a smeared image in the last few lines. Almost like there's a frame adjust somewhere. I haven't found any way to control the 510-USB except through Studio and can't find hardware type controls in there. Any suggestions?

Can you be more specific? What do you mean "went through"? Watched the video?

"Smeared"? "Lines"?

If smeared means what the above poster described (bending at the edge of the frame), then that could be due to the age of the tapes. A TBC "might" correct it. Cropping it out can hide it, but be aware cropping video is basically zooming into the picture, which magnifies EVERYTHING. Your video could end up looking a bit softer.

Sent from my generic not my computer device.
post #74 of 78 Old 02-26-2014, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Yes "went through" meant looking at conversion files, but after thinking about it, I realized I had seen the skew while any time I view tape through the 510. It is the last few lines and description above was good. Its not enough to bother me and I think old tape assumption is valid. I am still curious about ways to view and/or control output of 510 without using Studio. Is it possible?
post #75 of 78 Old 02-26-2014, 12:14 PM

If it is indeed head switching, I have successfully "zoomed" into the picture enough to eliminate it and render a clean copy that was virtually indistinguishable (as far as quality) from the original. The amount of zoom needed is very slight. I had a client a few years back that wanted to re-release a DVD of a concert (famous country star) and all they had was a vhs tape of the show. I zoomed in to eliminate the head switching and ran a noise reduction filter and made the DVD. It looked better than the original VHS but the detail definitely suffered.

Also, it doesn't matter if it is new tape or old tape. Head switching is on ALL helical scan machines (vhs, beta, 8mm, 3/4) that do not have time base correction. You can also tell if a tape has been recorded from a tape by examining the head switching. It adds another level of head switching with each generation.
post #76 of 78 Old 02-26-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerja View Post

Also, it doesn't matter if it is new tape or old tape. Head switching is on ALL helical scan machines (vhs, beta, 8mm, 3/4) that do not have time base correction. You can also tell if a tape has been recorded from a tape by examining the head switching. It adds another level of head switching with each generation.

Yes, but on "most" VHS tapes you will not see that on your TV set. If you did millions of consumers would have complained because they would have seen it in every movie bought or rented. Which gives me an idea...

Finally Farm, can you play the captured file on a TV set? A consumer set will use over scanning which cuts out the edges of the picture by a few lines. It's possible you will only see that defect on a computer screen and not on your TV. Are you planning on burning your home movies to DVD? You can use Studio to make a short test DVD (pick a short clip). Play that on your DVD player connected to a TV and see if the defect shows up. If not, maybe you don't even need to worry about it.

Also, I know of no other way to control the output of the 510. Ask in the Pinnacle forums.
post #77 of 78 Old 02-26-2014, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

I've already made up a few. I didn't notice any skewing. I'll recheck.
post #78 of 78 Old 02-26-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 208
You'll do less harm to the video by masking the bottom rather than zooming it.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page