Can I use a 4TB hdd as my C drive? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-24-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My current drive is acting up and I have a 4tb external drive that I haven't opened yet, if I remove it from the enclosure, can I use it as a C drive? I'll be using 64bit Win8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-24-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 776
You can but you are better off getting a new SSD for your OS drive. That's my advice.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 7 Old 12-24-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 250

If you want to use a drive larger than 2TB for your boot drive, a motherboard with UEFI is needed.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-24-2013, 05:13 PM

Is this just a media sever or will you use it as a everyday PC?. If just a media sever you will not need a ssd for the os, you will not be driving the os so hard that it will need the speed of ssds. You should partition the drive into 2 drives so if need to rebuild, all data in the second drive should not be touched and only touch the os.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-24-2013, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

It's my HTPC. I have around 50TB of movies/tv shows and I use it for occasional gaming via Steam. So far, I hadn't had any issues with load times that have bothered me.
I don't have any data that I can't replace so I'm not concerned with RAID or anything like that, so I'd rather not partition. I was mainly thinking that I could use the 4tb drive I already had to save some money and use the extra space to download all of my Steam games on one drive for use with Big Picture mode.
It's used for XBMC 90% of the time though.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-24-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Although I personally prefer a ssd for my os there is nothing "wrong" with using a 4tb hard drive instead depending on your goals.

Tonight I am updating my in-laws htpc (i3 2100 which is now nearly 3 years old). As I type this while it's updating we are watching Monsters University mkv full bluray rip with the kids.

Looks great. Sounds great. Works great. They have never complained. Not quite as snappy as my htpcs but completely acceptable, imo, for basic playback and use.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-25-2013, 07:09 AM

Liked: 147
Provided your motherboard is new enough to support booting to a drive greater than 2TB, as Mrkazador said, you will be fine. I personally highly recommend an SSD instead. I have a 250GB one in my gaming machine and have several games, plus the OS and all the assorted other things (flash, java, etc) and still have a LOT of space left.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page