Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-25-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all!

I just built a media server using a 4770k, 16GB ram and a 7790. its running a samsung ssd drive for the OS and 23TB flexraided drives for 20 TB usable. use plex for streaming from it too.

my main workstation is an alienware m17x-r2 which is getting long in the tooth. was thinking of building another machine using the fractal designs node 304. would hijack the 4770k from the media server and replace it with a 4670k. would get a decent gpu for the occasional gaming in the 304.

however, i am thinking of other options.

maybe make the server my main workstation, keeping all the drives etc intact and serve files from it.

i would then make a smaller "media" player connected to the hdtv, and that would have xbmc, plexserver and mpc-hc, serving files from the network shares i would create in the now reassigned server -> workstation. being able to run madvr and svp at 5/5g would be nice. svp may not be as important, so could do with haswell only, no gpu. nuc be ideal in this case? or something else using the 7790.

since my computer and media area is close enough, i thought about using the server as the main machine and run a 10ft hdmi to the receiver...dual use. i havent tried it yet, but wasnt sure if anything would not work as supposed to, like bitstreaming.

ideas and suggestions?

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-26-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Merry Christmas too you too!

That is a serious media server ! eek.gif

I don't see any issue taking the powerful GPU card and i7 CPU (both are very good and modern) from the server for use in the workstation and replacing with something a step down in an effort to save some cash this time around. That makes sense, and you machine is so robust you have room to downgrade without serious performance penalties.

The problem with making my media server my workstation (I tried this) is that when I restart or mess around on it my wifes movie stops playing in the other room, and in my case I spent enough time on the desktop and did enough different things that this just became an issue.

I much prefer having a set it and forget it media server that runs solid 100% of the time without needing to use it or touch it. It's always online and available and never has issues. I find using a workstation for a media server prevents this from happening. I am not a PC noob either- but small annoyances just seem to pop up and I much prefer the dedicated media server machine.

That's my advice. Keep them separate. Even if it means downgrading your media server. A 4670k is still plenty for PLEX and media serving.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 3 Old 12-26-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
yeah i guess when not home, wouldnt want anyone messing on my main machine. wife has her own laptop, but if she or the son want to watch something, they would have to get on mine if i kept it to one machine. dual use is out.

network shares would be ok though. i rebuild my os/apps every 9-12 months, so using this as my new machine and building a media player is still an option.

very torn though between building myself a node 304, or going the nuc route and taking over the server.

i have my node 304 all specced out. been trying to find some info about the latest nucs.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page