WHS 2011 Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 49 Old 12-27-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So I just got WHS 2011 and 8th setting up my new server but was wondering if I need to install my Norton Internet Security? Also should I avoid going on the web? I see it has IE 8 installed. I couldn't download Chrome because Java is disabled. So I'm wondering if it's bad to do on anything on a server computer.

I just wanted to do a little light surfing while waiting for the 400 windows updates to download.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 12-27-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Keep it off the net. Dial in remotely to service it and set all shares and to add programs.
I don't think Norton will work on WHS, but you can try it.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #3 of 49 Old 12-27-2013, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Do I need to worry about running a virtual server? I'm not even sure what that really does anyway.
post #4 of 49 Old 12-28-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 152
NO

post #5 of 49 Old 12-28-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 761
I installed both Firefox and chrome on my server because that locked version of IEI is BS

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 49 Old 12-28-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I installed both Firefox and chrome on my server because that locked version of IEI is BS

Agreed, and I should have prefaced by saying that there are SOME instances where you will be on the web.
BUT, he should not be "surfing"...while wasting time. That could be a bit risky.

post #7 of 49 Old 12-28-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

Keep it off the net. Dial in remotely to service it and set all shares and to add programs.
I don't think Norton will work on WHS, but you can try it.

Just curious. Does WHS handle dialing in remotely, or do you have to use something like Go To My PC, Teamviewer, etc?

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #8 of 49 Old 12-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I struggled to find a good 'free' anti-virus/malware solution for my WHS2011. MS Security Essentials doesn't install on 'server' products, and while there are plenty of A/V solutions, then are pretty expensive. I don't surf on my WHS, but just like to have some form of A/V running. In the end I selected the older (but still supported with regular pattern updates) MS Forefront Security. It has a very small overhead, and doesn't interfere with any server operations.
post #9 of 49 Old 12-28-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

Agreed, and I should have prefaced by saying that there are SOME instances where you will be on the web.
BUT, he should not be "surfing"...while wasting time. That could be a bit risky.

Depends on what websites you visit. Personally- I've never had a virus (ever) or junk on my server because I am intelligent about things. Something like AVS forums- you could surf if you wanted. (I've looked up stuff for technical info during set up before)

My server is also "online" too. Never had trouble. It's just a media server - not bank secrets. Just be reasonable about how you use it as a precaution but at the end of the day it's the same as a PC. I don't have issues with my PC either.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #10 of 49 Old 12-28-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 View Post

I struggled to find a good 'free' anti-virus/malware solution for my WHS2011. MS Security Essentials doesn't install on 'server' products, and while there are plenty of A/V solutions, then are pretty expensive. I don't surf on my WHS, but just like to have some form of A/V running. In the end I selected the older (but still supported with regular pattern updates) MS Forefront Security. It has a very small overhead, and doesn't interfere with any server operations.

You can use some versions of MSE on WHS2011

Try this MSE should work

-

post #11 of 49 Old 12-28-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

Just curious. Does WHS handle dialing in remotely, or do you have to use something like Go To My PC, Teamviewer, etc?

Sent from my Nexus 7

YES. Remote Desktop is built in and works great.

-

post #12 of 49 Old 12-28-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I only 0lan to surf the web to get pertinent info when needed or downloads. I did stumble across Assassin's WHS2011 manuals and he had a version of MSE that installed without issue. 8 going through all of his manuals now for the server and he made it super easy to setup correctly.

I tried to download Chrome, but Java is turned off in IE. How do I turn it on temporarily? I tried to download Chrome from my HTC and was going to transfer the file to my server, but the link online was to download AND install. Any suggestions?
post #13 of 49 Old 12-28-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:

It isn't a special "version" of IE that comes on the Server OSes. It's just regular old IE with all of the security options turned on/set to max. Its easy enough to set everything back to "reasonable" levels. But as mentioned above, I'd advise against casual surfing on your server.

If I had a signature, this is where it would be.
post #14 of 49 Old 12-28-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can use some versions of MSE on WHS2011

Try this MSE should work

You shouldn't need a special version of MSE to install on WHS. Just use the /disableoslimit switch on the latest version and it will install on WHS.

post #15 of 49 Old 12-28-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott750 View Post

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I only 0lan to surf the web to get pertinent info when needed or downloads. I did stumble across Assassin's WHS2011 manuals and he had a version of MSE that installed without issue. 8 going through all of his manuals now for the server and he made it super easy to setup correctly.

I tried to download Chrome, but Java is turned off in IE. How do I turn it on temporarily? I tried to download Chrome from my HTC and was going to transfer the file to my server, but the link online was to download AND install. Any suggestions?

Happy to help.
post #16 of 49 Old 12-28-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post

It isn't a special "version" of IE that comes on the Server OSes. It's just regular old IE with all of the security options turned on/set to max. Its easy enough to set everything back to "reasonable" levels. But as mentioned above, I'd advise against casual surfing on your server.

Yes. But I installed both Chrome and Firefox anyways.

-

post #17 of 49 Old 12-30-2013, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 View Post

I use AVG's file server product on my WHS2011 server. It wasn't free, but it's worked out well for me so far. It's much lighter on system resources than I was expecting and presents no burden on the CPU during movie/live TV playback.

As far as the browsers go, I use firefiox on my server. The locked down version of IE could not be used with my highpoint RAID web management application and the Ceton InfiniTV web based app. I've messed with Chrome before, and I just don't like it.
post #18 of 49 Old 12-30-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I have the MSE version that installs and works on whs 2011 hosted on my server for everyone. I use it and it works very well.
post #19 of 49 Old 12-31-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I have the MSE version that installs and works on whs 2011 hosted on my server for everyone. I use it and it works very well.

So does MSE install in whs 2011 OR NOT? Tman247 says no, you say yes. Maybe at the time Tman tried it, there wasn't a version for WHS 2011?

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #20 of 49 Old 12-31-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Nevermind. I just read a few posts back.

What is the disableoslimit switch?

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #21 of 49 Old 12-31-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So does MSE install in whs 2011 OR NOT? Tman247 says no, you say yes. Maybe at the time Tman tried it, there wasn't a version for WHS 2011?

Sent from my Nexus 7

Look at my guides. I don't know what else to say.

http://assassinhtpcblog.com/server-whs-2011/#guide006
post #22 of 49 Old 12-31-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sent from my Nexus 7

Yes it works. I have been running it for years. I posted the link earlier. Asassin guides explains it all.

-

post #23 of 49 Old 12-31-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree it works, but I do have one caveat: it will never update a client package, and will always show that it needs the update.
Quote:
Microsoft Security Essentials Client Update Package - KB2285652 (2.0.657.0)

post #24 of 49 Old 12-31-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It updates all the new definitions just fine. Mine is as up to date as all of my other htpcs running Windows 7.
post #25 of 49 Old 12-31-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Assassain, I'm in the middle of setting up my server using your WHS 2011 guide and I'm having issues setting up Remote Web Access. When I go to setup the router I keep getting errors:

"There may be more than one router on your network"
"Remote Web Access to your server is blocked"

I have tried manually adding Ports 80 & 443 to my routers Forwarding page too.

I have Time Warner Cable Roadrunner and found a forum that says TWC doesn't block Ports 80 or 443.

I found a webpage from Microsoft about how to check if the server is talking to the router and it pinged good.
It also talked about adding Remote Desktop Management Port 4125 and I did that as well, but still having issues.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/922.windows-home-server-router-setup.aspx#UPnP_Router_Configuration

My HTPC is hooked up as such: HTPC > Dlink switch > router > cable modem

My router is a WD N900

Any ideas on what to check or whats wrong?
post #26 of 49 Old 12-31-2013, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
not sure why windows is saying what it is, never used whs, but please do NOT forward external port 80... ffs. pick something a little more obscure. granted a thorough port sniffer will find what you've forwarded but hell... a kid driving by your house war-driving could slam your system right quick.
post #27 of 49 Old 12-31-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You have to let your pc access the INTERnet. Obviously that's different than the INTRAnet in your home.
post #28 of 49 Old 12-31-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

While I'm sure Assassin's version installs and works just fine, *if* you're the type that's paranoid about that sort of thing, you can download the regular version from Microsoft, and install it from the command line using the /disableoslimit switch.

That being said, Assassin seems to be a pretty knowledgeable guy, who wouldn't risk his reputation hosting jankie AV software and I'm sure what he's hosting is 100% legit, and the following is meant in no way to disparage him or the work he's done.... It's a bad idea to download and install software from untrusted sources. It's even riskier to do so with antivirus software since it's the thing your trusting your network's security too, and it's even riskier to do so in order to obtain some sort of "modded" version (or installer) of said antivirus software.

So when I suggest that you just download and install the regular version from Microsoft using the /disableoslimit switch instead of using Assassin's, it has nothing to do with Assassin, and everything to do with the fact that it's a bad practice to suggest anyone do that ever.

post #29 of 49 Old 12-31-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's from Microsoft. It's not like I wrote it myself. Sheesh.

Hundreds have used it by now for years.
post #30 of 49 Old 12-31-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

You have to let your pc access the INTERnet. Obviously that's different than the INTRAnet in your home.

The server can access the Internet. I have already downloaded Chrome and updated MSE. What else do I need to check?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page