Happy New Year ! How do you think HTPC will change or evolve in 2014 ? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 69 Old 01-25-2014, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 649
I think a la carte is inevitable

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 01-26-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I think a la carte is inevitable

I would not get your hopes up. I have a good friend who's a very higher up at Comcast. He says the issue is not with Comcast/Xfinity but with the providers and how they negotiate. Comcast can't buy the good without the bad from the content providers. One provider often owns several channels. If you want the good one they force Comcast to get the bad ones too. What's "bad" to you and me though might not be to an advertiser so it's all globbed in together.

Blame the content providers for your lack of a la carte.

"It's all run by a big eastern syndicate, you know" -- Lucy Van Pelt

post #63 of 69 Old 01-27-2014, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My HTPC has "DE-volved" this year, unfortunately. frown.gif

quick story...

I was approached by a door to door Cincinnati Bell Fiber optics salesperson about "faster speeds, more channels, less per month". My first question, obviously, was "and you can install a CableCARD, right?" Nope. Cincinnati Bell runs two services, depending on where you live. One which is IPTV where we have to use the god awful ZTE Set Top Boxes at each location (I mean really awful). And the other which can use CableCARD. I live in the IPTV area, naturally.

Basically, the rep offered 50 mbps down (currently using 20 on TWC), all the channels (minus premiums), for 10 dollars less per month for one year. I couldn't pass up the deal, even with the bad set top boxes.

So I ask him, "how much for JUST internet"... the guy just smiles and says "same price". The guy has been told by his supervisor to offer NO deal on internet alone, but to go all out on the TV +internet bundle. So, now I have a pile of xboxes, Ceton tuners, and a cable modem.

In summary, for 2014, I think we will see cable and other TV providers go "all out" to offer the TV + internet bundles because they see the writing on the wall when it comes to subscription TV. As for HTPC itself, I think the small streaming devices (eg, Chromecast) will be the norm in the livingroom/bedroom rather than a full tower with Windows... or maybe that's already the case. smile.gif
post #64 of 69 Old 01-27-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I read an article just last week claiming that HBO subs were down significantly, and the "industry" was blaming Netflix. Sorry, I don't remember the source, but you can try Google.

If it's true, eventually HBO and others will come to the conclusion that it would not only be beneficial, but necessary, to offer a la carte (like HBO Go) o subscribers, just like Netflix. Depends on how rapid the decline is.

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #65 of 69 Old 01-27-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

I think we'll see growth in the low cost Android box offerings that meet most HTPC needs (except copy-protected TV & high end video processing).

Why android?

I find it buggy.

Since you can already do XBMC on USB stick with openELEC and mb3 is in development now I'd guess that's the better way to do it.

I'm doubtful that XBMC will ever reach critical mass. Apparently Android wasn't buggy enough to take the smartphone crown.

Remember, to become dominant, the public wants something they can just plug in and use, like Roku.

Also, it needs not only massive marketing, but GOOD marketing. Compare iPhone ad's showing how the device can benefit you in everyday life, to Microsoft showing how fun it is to dance with and juggle their Surface tablet.

Maybe it will depend on a big power like Google or Apple to push their OS (except Apple doesn't license their OS's, so probably Google).

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #66 of 69 Old 01-27-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Android and iOS both have tons of apps for services (like Hulu, Crackle, Netflix, Spotify, Pandora, etc), live tv streams(TBS, Watch ESPN, NBC Sports Live, Uverse Live TV, Cox Live TV, etc) and local content (Plex, XBMC)

But the problem with that approach is that it's so fragmented. You need to go back to the home menu screen to choose what you want to do. You can't flip between a baseball game on TBS and a hockey game on NBC that way.

I'm afraid that will happen to PCs too. The available sources will become more fragmented and using a singular front end will become less of an option, especially if channels like HBO or AMC did start selling direct subscriptions to their pogramming.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #67 of 69 Old 01-27-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Like this guy, I think 4k will fizzle just like 3D. Most parts of the world don't have the bandwidth to stream it (I know I don't and not for several years at best) and there is no affordable disc spinner close to the horizon to allow program material to be purchased the same way I do now. Also, like many older consumers, I don't like downloads: if I purchase something, I want something tangible for it.
post #68 of 69 Old 01-27-2014, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I would not get your hopes up. I have a good friend who's a very higher up at Comcast. He says the issue is not with Comcast/Xfinity but with the providers and how they negotiate. Comcast can't buy the good without the bad from the content providers. One provider often owns several channels. If you want the good one they force Comcast to get the bad ones too. What's "bad" to you and me though might not be to an advertiser so it's all globbed in together.

Blame the content providers for your lack of a la carte.

"It's all run by a big eastern syndicate, you know" -- Lucy Van Pelt

(I will disclose that I am a cord cutter for at least 5 years now.)  I think a-la-carte will eventually come because the content providers will be pushed to compete in that segment.   New content that's streaming only will continue to grow in quality and quantity.  It's just so cheap and easy to bring it forward compared to 10 years ago.  I liken it to music - no longer do you have to buy the album of crud just to get the hit single.  That platform has also opened it up to many artists who are genuine stars now, that never had a chance otherwise.  The content providers are scrambling to secure their future of profits, but the new generation isn't growing up sitting in front of the TV.  They want their content to go with them.  Having online content only available if and only if they subscribe to a package, those days are numbered.  Rising rates, price standoffs between providers and distributors, those things are all at the toll of the user.  Users are walking away from that.  It's just no longer making sense to order a prime steak with microwave heat-n-eat potatoes and rubber veggies!

post #69 of 69 Old 01-27-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 192
The music industry has also been decimated by that. Tons of labels have outright folded and others have consolidated in an attempt to survive. They definitely aren't investing in acts anymore. A&R people (one of the positions most likely scrapped at a label) used to help develop acts so that they'd grow to become more profitable to the label. Now theres no money for that.

The label relied on the few hit albums they'd get a year to prop up their investments in others that failed. They can't do that anymore.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page