Need recommendations for a new optical drive. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-31-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The optical drive in my tower PC died so I need to buy a replacement. I need a standard 5-3/4" wide x 1-5/8" high drive that fits in the tower drive bay. I don't need a Bluray drive.

I want to buy a SATA DVD/CD drive that can rip my standard DVDs to put on my home theater hard drive. One user review I read said that the Asus DRW-24B1ST drive can't rip DVDs because of its firmware restrictions.

Is the Lite-on IHAS124-04 a good drive? Anyone have one and used it to rip standard DVDs?

Any other suggestions for a good SATA optical drive?

Thanks,
Skylark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-31-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 247
In my experience, the brand doesn't matter very much. I've gone through four or five DVD burners in the last decade, and they all eventually wore out, since burning discs is harder on the laser than ripping them. I've tried Samsung, Sony, Pioneer, and possibly Lite-On, and my current burner is LG. They all worked fine while they were in service and all died after a few years, so as long as you pick a reputable brand and a drive that has decent reviews on Newegg (e.g. no trend of drives coming DOA), you should be fine.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-31-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 176
no drive is prevented from ripping (not that ive heard yet - that would sure be something!)

what some have is a "feature" called riplock. the idea being that it slows down ripping. I guess the party line is that it keeps the drive from spinning too fast to make noise.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #4 of 13 Old 12-31-2013, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

In my experience, the brand doesn't matter very much. I've gone through four or five DVD burners in the last decade, and they all eventually wore out, since burning discs is harder on the laser than ripping them. I've tried Samsung, Sony, Pioneer, and possibly Lite-On, and my current burner is LG. They all worked fine while they were in service and all died after a few years, so as long as you pick a reputable brand and a drive that has decent reviews on Newegg (e.g. no trend of drives coming DOA), you should be fine.

Thank you for taking the time to help.
Skylark
post #5 of 13 Old 12-31-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

no drive is prevented from ripping (not that ive heard yet - that would sure be something!)

what some have is a "feature" called riplock. the idea being that it slows down ripping. I guess the party line is that it keeps the drive from spinning too fast to make noise.

This is the quote from an amazon review for the Asus DRW-24B1ST:

"The only down side to this drive and the reason I only gave it 4 stars, is that it has something built into the firmware that does not allow a CD or DVD encryption breaking program to run. If you have it installed and try to use the drive it locks up your computer."

Found here:
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Serial-ATA-Internal-Optical-DRW-24B1ST/product-reviews/B0033Z2BAQ/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

Strange if it's true.

Skylark
post #6 of 13 Old 12-31-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 593
if it can read.. it can rip.

The End.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 13 Old 12-31-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 185
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151267

Thirteen bucks. Six more hours to order it.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-31-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 593
I am grabbing it just to have it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #9 of 13 Old 12-31-2013, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Optical drives are so cheap these days you just throw them away and get a different one if you don't like it. I've had extremely good luck with the Sony/Optiarc drives. They'll play or record any kind of disc I throw at it. I've had issues with just about every other brand of drive in the past, but obviously, YMMV. I've had LG, Samsung, Asus, and Lite-On drives all crap out on me, but the Sony/Optiarcs just keep on ticking.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-01-2014, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

if it can read.. it can rip.

The End.

Sounds right. Thanks,
Skylark
post #11 of 13 Old 01-01-2014, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Optical drives are so cheap these days you just throw them away and get a different one if you don't like it. I've had extremely good luck with the Sony/Optiarc drives. They'll play or record any kind of disc I throw at it. I've had issues with just about every other brand of drive in the past, but obviously, YMMV. I've had LG, Samsung, Asus, and Lite-On drives all crap out on me, but the Sony/Optiarcs just keep on ticking.

I think I'll try the Optiarc plus drive. A bit more expensive but I guess one gets what one pays for.

Thanks,
Skylark
post #12 of 13 Old 01-02-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

I think I'll try the Optiarc plus drive. A bit more expensive but I guess one gets what one pays for.

Learned that Optiarc was a joint venture between Sony and NEC and that Sony bought out NEC in Dec 2008. NEC made good optical drives which is may be why the Optiarc optical drives have good reviews. But Sony closed the Optiarc division in March 2013 so the Optiarc drives being sold now must be from remaining stock.

I ordered an Optiarc 5280S-CB-PLUS optical drive anyway since I liked the NEC optical drive that I had in my previous Windows XP PC. As you said "they just keep on ticking".

Skylark
post #13 of 13 Old 01-02-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Interesting. I had seen the drives listed as Sony/Optiarc/NEC so I figured there was some sort of joint venture with NEC. NEC drives were extremely popular a while back and had websites dedicated to developing custom firmware for it. They had firmware available to enable recording on dual layer DVDs before the official firmware was released. I hadn't seen any new NEC drives released in quite some time so I suspected they went out of business.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page