HDHomerun Prime Issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 01-03-2014, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally got my hdhomerun prime and I have everything setup and I have laggy playback on live tv (didnt try recorded tv). Every 10-20 seconds half the screen gets pixelated and/or the sound goes off for a second or two.

This is pretty much on every channel and both in WMC and QuickTV. I have also tried 3 different PCs and an xbox and xbox is far worst than the PCs.

Any ideas?

Here is some info:

Card Authentication success
Card OOB Lock success
Card Activation success
Card Manufacturer Motorola
Card Authentication success
Card Activation success
3DES encryption supported

OOB Frequency 75.250 MHz
OOB Lock 2.048 Mbps
Signal Strength 100% (3.6 dBmV)
Signal Quality 100% (36.6 dB)

Channel List cablecard-oob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-03-2014, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Could be network related, what devices connect the two?
post #3 of 18 Old 01-04-2014, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
+1 on network issues. I spent 2 WEEKS fighting the CC (Comcast) with 5 techs coming out till I finally got one. Setup was easy after that. I use a gigabit switch, and router. The few live tv channels I have watched have been good, ironically. HBO had the worst PQ with noticeable pixelating and stutter. I guess due to the constant authentication (similar to HDMI?) handshaking that must be done.
post #4 of 18 Old 01-04-2014, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraZtiK View Post

Could be network related, what devices connect the two?

I doubt its network issue, but I will switch out the cat6 wire and port on switch and try again. My network is all running from a zyxel gigabit switch and streaming 1080p from my WHS box on these PCs work fine.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-04-2014, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am starting to believe that it WAS indeed network related. I changed the port and changed the cat6 patch cable and it is now working much better. Now I get lag/choppy pic every 10-15min and it will last short time.

Makes me want to invest in a better switch.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-06-2014, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a couple of HDHR-CCs and they are quite sensitive to dropouts.

Here is what I use
http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/?categoryid=222&model=TL-SG3210

The is a managed switch with a decent amount of packet buffers, I had no end of drop out issues with the unmanaged basic switches.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-10-2014, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This is frustrating me...

so I installed the dell poweredge switch and it appears any lag has gone away

new problem I am noticing, is that on movie channels it appears there is a studder, it seems to flicker extremely fast, enough to notice and annoy you but not enough to not see a picture (i hope I described this correctly). This does NOt happen on HD local channels or HD channels but happens on movie channels such as HBO and Showtime. Audio is perfect.

I have Verizon FIOS if that helps.

Any ideas?
post #8 of 18 Old 01-10-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrted46 View Post

This is frustrating me...

so I installed the dell poweredge switch and it appears any lag has gone away

new problem I am noticing, is that on movie channels it appears there is a studder, it seems to flicker extremely fast, enough to notice and annoy you but not enough to not see a picture (i hope I described this correctly). This does NOt happen on HD local channels or HD channels but happens on movie channels such as HBO and Showtime. Audio is perfect.

I have Verizon FIOS if that helps.

Any ideas?
Like this?

If so, turn off 'Adaptive Luma' or similar (depends on your video chipset).
post #9 of 18 Old 01-10-2014, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Like this?

If so, turn off 'Adaptive Luma' or similar (depends on your video chipset).

That is exactly what is happening but only on movie channels which I cant view on quicktv

where is this setting? I have an i3 with intel gpu built in
post #10 of 18 Old 01-10-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

mrted46 likes this.
post #11 of 18 Old 01-10-2014, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Well that fixed the the strobe light effect/studder but I talked too soon. I am not sure how much time passed with zero lag/studder but the screen totally froze and I got a WMC error message that the TV signal was weak, had to get out of WMC and go back in and everything is working again.

frown.gif

:whiteflag:

Any ideas? It's not my network, I can stream from my WHS/NAS without any issues and now all my devices are on the Dell switch.

I will confirm if this is happening at my other PCs tomorrow but this is tough
post #12 of 18 Old 01-10-2014, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
When you say you are streaming from your NAS, are you really streaming (such as through DLNA) or just playing a file. Primes, and WMC use UDP packets for streaming which are not recovered if there is any error where playing a file (including in WMC but not streaming to an extender) uses TCP (or if streamed may use UDP but may allow for recovery at higher layers... WMC does not do this with the higher layers and displays various error messages that may or may not relate to the problem) to deliver the content and if there is an error it can be resent as a result, comparing playing a file from the NAS is far different than streaming from a prime or from WMC to the extender so you generally can not say it is not the network because the WHS/NAS works. WMC is very sensitive to various timings and error rates than most programs would ever be. The other thing is for many managed switches provide more problems with cablecard tuners and WMC unless you know how to manage the switch. I'm not sure what dell calls it but generally I have found that most ports connected to end devices should have "portfast" (or whatever dell calls it) that "disables" STP on those ports (it may still listen such as with bdpu guard). Have you done the packet loss tests SD recommends in their troubleshooting? This page is in the non-prime section but has many ideas and instructions for running a test on the prime at the end as well as other windows general network fixes?

The other thing it can be is the drive as WMC always is using the drive whether recording or playing live tv. My greatest improvement to overcoming drive errors was to move the buffer to another drive (I was going through a new drive every 2 months when buying the cheapest rather than paying attention to quality... none of the drives tested bad, they, I believe the controller, just couldn't handle the load of a few HD streams 24/7 as there would always be an extender or two playing live TV somewhere in the house)

You may also wish to look up registry settings to allow for a greater tolerance of bad packets that ends up with that weak signal error... some have said it works while others don't think it does much.
post #13 of 18 Old 01-11-2014, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by signcarver View Post

When you say you are streaming from your NAS, are you really streaming (such as through DLNA) or just playing a file. Primes, and WMC use UDP packets for streaming which are not recovered if there is any error where playing a file (including in WMC but not streaming to an extender) uses TCP (or if streamed may use UDP but may allow for recovery at higher layers... WMC does not do this with the higher layers and displays various error messages that may or may not relate to the problem) to deliver the content and if there is an error it can be resent as a result, comparing playing a file from the NAS is far different than streaming from a prime or from WMC to the extender so you generally can not say it is not the network because the WHS/NAS works. WMC is very sensitive to various timings and error rates than most programs would ever be. The other thing is for many managed switches provide more problems with cablecard tuners and WMC unless you know how to manage the switch. I'm not sure what dell calls it but generally I have found that most ports connected to end devices should have "portfast" (or whatever dell calls it) that "disables" STP on those ports (it may still listen such as with bdpu guard). Have you done the packet loss tests SD recommends in their troubleshooting? This page is in the non-prime section but has many ideas and instructions for running a test on the prime at the end as well as other windows general network fixes?

The other thing it can be is the drive as WMC always is using the drive whether recording or playing live tv. My greatest improvement to overcoming drive errors was to move the buffer to another drive (I was going through a new drive every 2 months when buying the cheapest rather than paying attention to quality... none of the drives tested bad, they, I believe the controller, just couldn't handle the load of a few HD streams 24/7 as there would always be an extender or two playing live TV somewhere in the house)

You may also wish to look up registry settings to allow for a greater tolerance of bad packets that ends up with that weak signal error... some have said it works while others don't think it does much.

When I say "stream" I really mean playing a file 1080p bluray file from Mediabrowser (which points to my NAS).

My Dell poweredge is running in an unmanaged mode, I can try to turn this on and look at some configurations.

I went to your link on Silicondust and did everything they recommended and I still got the freeze.

I ran the Low level test for network packet loss - PRIME (http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=5877):
and I see that around 10minutes of running the test I get ss then sn. They say the s is informational and the n is network packet loss. It is followed by dots, so it looks something like this:
........ss.....sn.........

I am guessing where the n appears is where WMC freezes.

I will continue to look into this and I still have not tried from another PC but should be able to tomorrow.

I appreciate any help and any advise.

TIA
post #14 of 18 Old 01-12-2014, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Update:

The HTPC I have been trying has a realtek gigabit NIC and I have tried with my laptop that has a Atheros gigabit NIC and these both act the same way. During the network test it shows a bunch of "s" and a few "n"

My other PC is has a intel NIC and I have been running the network test and so far just "s" and no "n"

They are all running win7 home premium, all on the same unmanaged switch.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-13-2014, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Another update:

I did a fresh install of win7 on my htpc, all updated drivers, the same problem still occurs. I did the network test and for a little over an hour I got a few "s" but no "n" but I still get a frozen screen every 15-20minutes or so and sometime it will cause WMC to crash and/or I have to restart it. Most of the times it will freeze from 5 seconds - 30 seconds and then come back normal.

I tried to tweak the registry by doing some research and even added another drive to do buffering as was suggested but the problem didn't get better or worst.

I am at a complete loss, is it possible or likely I have a bad hd homerun prime unit?

Is Ceton any better at this? I may try that route but I invested so much time in this, I would hate to abandon it.
post #16 of 18 Old 01-14-2014, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Have you posted these issues on the silicondust forums? They have been helpful to me when I have problems. You will probably need to enabled debugging so you can get a log of what happens when WMC crashes to see if it is related to the HDHR Prime.

I have a HDHR Prime connected to an unmangaged 16 port gigabit netgear switch and this is then connected to my router.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-14-2014, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post

Have you posted these issues on the silicondust forums? They have been helpful to me when I have problems. You will probably need to enabled debugging so you can get a log of what happens when WMC crashes to see if it is related to the HDHR Prime.

I have a HDHR Prime connected to an unmangaged 16 port gigabit netgear switch and this is then connected to my router.

that will be my next step when I have time. I re-ran the network test on the htpc and I did not get any "n" again but the freezing still occurs.
post #18 of 18 Old 01-14-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

+1 for the SiliconDust forum and tech support. They can remotely examine your tuner and network and advise you accordingly.
Reply Home Theater Computers