Ceton or Silicon Dust for Cable Card Tuner? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-05-2014, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been out of the loop with the Cable Card Tuner game here lately. Who is offering the best product these days?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-05-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I have a SD HDHR-CC 3-tuner and I love it. It's been flawless for 2 years.

That said, Ceton has a 6-tuner model that needs only one cablecard. If I didn't already have the SD HDHR-CC I'd be giving it serious consideration.

post #3 of 14 Old 01-06-2014, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I was looking for a CC tuner about 2 months ago and ended up with a HDHR-CC as there were being sold for deep discounts during Black Friday.
i also looked at the Ceton ETH6 and there were not many places selling it and hence not much in terms of a good price.

I have more than one HDHR-CC and was also looking at Ceton as a change but looking at the Ceton thread it did not seem to me that the firmware has fully settled.
The one thing I wanted to avoid was having to reboot the tuner once a week.
gonzo90017 likes this.
post #4 of 14 Old 01-06-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I use the Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCI-e tuner and I don't have to reboot it. I never had to do it with any of my InfiniTV 4's either. I think that's something required only for networked tuners. That being said, I also have a SD HDHR Prime used by other PCs and I rarely have to reboot it, if ever.

As for which tuner to get, determine how many tuners you need and then decide if you want it installed internally in a PC or on a network. If you want to use the tuners on more than one PC, then the networked option is the clear choice. If you have room to install a tuner internally, then go with either the InfiniTV 4 or InfiniTV 6. The InfiniTV 6 was recently on sale for $249 during the holidays, but that may be over now. It did drop as low as $229 over the Black Friday weekend, which is when I got mine. You can pick up a used InfiniTV 4 on ebay for about $100 or less. The HRHR Prime has been on sale quite often recently for $100. SiliconDust is supposed to be comeing out with a 4-tuner version of the HDHR Prime so they're probably selling the current 3-tuner Prime at a lower cost to clear out inventory.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-06-2014, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I know the Silicon Dust versions are either Cable card or ATSC. Is the InfinTV version that way also? I currently use a TIVO that is ATSC or CC and like the flexibility. I am currently using an ATSC antenna only but may get cable again someday and would like to have the choice.

Thanks
post #6 of 14 Old 01-06-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerja View Post

I know the Silicon Dust versions are either Cable card or ATSC.

Not correct. SD CC tuner does not support ATSC at all (it supports ClearQAM). You have to buy a separate product that supports ATSC and QAM but no CC.

Ceton, as far as I known, never sold anything supporting ATSC.

Basically, you can't have both ways.

The old TiVo I know, has two separate types of tuner built in (2 ATSC and 2 CC). So you are paying for half of the tuners you can't use.

As for OP's question, if you are looking for Network tuners only, SD's Prime is mature and stable but only has 3 tuners. Ceton's 6-tuner version seems still have a way to go for maturity especially on channel switch speed. But it got 6 tuners with only one Cable Card.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-06-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I use the Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCI-e tuner and I don't have to reboot it. I never had to do it with any of my InfiniTV 4's either. I think that's something required only for networked tuners. That being said, I also have a SD HDHR Prime used by other PCs and I rarely have to reboot it, if ever.

As for which tuner to get, determine how many tuners you need and then decide if you want it installed internally in a PC or on a network. If you want to use the tuners on more than one PC, then the networked option is the clear choice. If you have room to install a tuner internally, then go with either the InfiniTV 4 or InfiniTV 6. The InfiniTV 6 was recently on sale for $249 during the holidays, but that may be over now. It did drop as low as $229 over the Black Friday weekend, which is when I got mine. You can pick up a used InfiniTV 4 on ebay for about $100 or less. The HRHR Prime has been on sale quite often recently for $100. SiliconDust is supposed to be comeing out with a 4-tuner version of the HDHR Prime so they're probably selling the current 3-tuner Prime at a lower cost to clear out inventory.

I have InfiniTV6 ETH and don't have to reboot, either. So, I don't think it is a network related issue. We didn't have to reboot InifniTV4 PCIe for 3 years, either (except early in the development, I have one of the first units)

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #8 of 14 Old 01-06-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerja View Post

I know the Silicon Dust versions are either Cable card or ATSC. Is the InfinTV version that way also? I currently use a TIVO that is ATSC or CC and like the flexibility. I am currently using an ATSC antenna only but may get cable again someday and would like to have the choice.

Thanks

You can mix and match, as you wish.

We started out with NTSC in the 90's, moved to ATSC in the mid-2000's with the gray/white HomeRuns, and kept them when we added ATI DCT's to decrypt cable, and kept using both, since ATI's were a single tuner, and cost $300 per tuner (we had 2 and had to rent 2 cableCARDs). When we upgraded to InifniTV4 we kept ATSC tuners, same for the migration to InifniTV6 ETH. Our tuner count is 6 ATSC and 6 CableCARD tuners.

WMC knows to use ATSC for broadcast TV, and CableCARD tuners for Cable only TV.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #9 of 14 Old 01-06-2014, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Not correct. SD CC tuner does not support ATSC at all (it supports ClearQAM). You have to buy a separate product that supports ATSC and QAM but no CC.

Ceton, as far as I known, never sold anything supporting ATSC.

Basically, you can't have both ways.

The old TiVo I know, has two separate types of tuner built in (2 ATSC and 2 CC). So you are paying for half of the tuners you can't use.

As for OP's question, if you are looking for Network tuners only, SD's Prime is mature and stable but only has 3 tuners. Ceton's 6-tuner version seems still have a way to go for maturity especially on channel switch speed. But it got 6 tuners with only one Cable Card.

I understand that SD CC tuner does not support ATSC. I realized it is two different products. I was just curious if the Ceton product did and now realize that it does not. Bummer, I guess I will have to buy an ATSC version now and if I ever go back to cable, buy the CC version then.

Thanks
post #10 of 14 Old 01-06-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

I have InfiniTV6 ETH and don't have to reboot, either. So, I don't think it is a network related issue. We didn't have to reboot InifniTV4 PCIe for 3 years, either (except early in the development, I have one of the first units)

Doesn't it still takes quite a few seconds to change channels, especially on channels with strong signals?
post #11 of 14 Old 01-06-2014, 01:22 PM

Liked: 150
Hmmm....my signal strength has slowly increased over time...maybe I should attenuate it a bit more and see if that solves my "no tuner" issue. I have long ago passed the point where I wished I never bought the external tuner, but if it can become stable those feelings will go away.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-06-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Doesn't it still takes quite a few seconds to change channels, especially on channels with strong signals?

Channel changing seems faster than when I try changing channels on company provided box at someone's house.

The channel surfing of the 80's and 90's is gone, especially if your provider went SDV.

post #13 of 14 Old 01-06-2014, 07:35 PM

Liked: 10

My SD HDHR CC has been FLAWLESS for the 2 months that I've owned it. If you're in the market I suggest you wait just a bit longer as SiliconDust should be releasing a version that does hardware transcoding to MP4 which means that you MIGHT no longer be tied to WMC for watching protected channels. The stipulation being that the receiving device has to be DLNA certified and support DTCP-IP ( which I think all DLNA certified devices support, not 100% sure). That means some enterprising individual or team can create apps/channels/etc. for your rokus and other DLNA certified networked streaming devices which could give you rich guide data and essentially become a full STB (minus that fee).  I'd say wait out CES seeing that it's only another week to see if they announce a release.

post #14 of 14 Old 01-06-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D Surf View Post

The stipulation being that the receiving device has to be DLNA certified and support DTCP-IP ( which I think all DLNA certified devices support, not 100% sure).

No, only select few support DTCP-IP. It is also kind of expensive to add it. DLNA is not going that great. DRM and OpenSource aren't going well together. So, unless there is a big company like Microsoft invests in it, you aren't going to see anything any time soon.
Reply Home Theater Computers