Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 Old 01-14-2014, 03:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
A touchscreen case and three hard drives in the main system is about $1500 in parts alone right there.

So you do the math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #63 of 77 Old 01-14-2014, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

A touchscreen case and three hard drives in the main system is about $1500 in parts alone right there.

So you do the math.

You will end up in psychiatry if you keep trying to explain / justify to everyone who has a comment... biggrin.gif

Let anyone think what they want...

IMHO, a million $ consultancy contract is not enough to pay for what you have selflessly contributed to the forum...

You should tell anyone trying to call you a rip-off to get their head out their @$$
post #64 of 77 Old 01-14-2014, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
@umdivx

dont know if you mean it as a joke, but the first line in your signature made me giggle. tongue.gif

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #65 of 77 Old 01-14-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Why are so many people picking sides? This matter is really only between two parties. I know it does not involve me smile.gif

Are you kidding? What the hell makes a car crash better than more cars?! tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

See here: http://www.wisn.com/news/south-east-wisconsin/waukesha/RAW-Video-captures-Hwy-41-45-pileup/-/10150328/23398364/-/volbqw/-/index.html

Now tell me you stopped the video, lmao.

Personally, I have enough experience to know that EVERY good business makes mistakes- even of the egregious variety. The most imperative point is what they DO to remedy them. Now, whether that's the case here (vendor made mistakes), unless it's shown that Assassin is making patently false statements about what he/they offered to do to remedy the buyers problems, it's difficult for a reasonable person (who understand perfection is, most times, a difficult goal to reach, never mind with business conducted internationally) to expect much more.

And the costs are nearly immaterial to me- it's an open market and I- nor anyone else- can make personal time/expertise value judgments for anyone else.

I believe if reasonable people apply reasonable criteria we usually come down in the same ballpark...most times, anyway. tongue.gif

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #66 of 77 Old 01-14-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I'd bet if no one had replied to the original post this would have been long forgotten by now. Instead, I'm reminded about it every morning when I first log in.

I'm sure most regulars here are very familiar with Assassin and his contributions. I'm equaly sure most here would have dismissed the OP as a disgruntled customer (something EVERY business experiences from time to time, regardless of how good they are).

I would never try to tell anyone how to run their customer relations, though I have noticed most online retailers seem to either ignore public name calling, or they try to defuse the situation.

I understand the impulse to want to defend your company, but the result of that is 7 pages (and growing) of keeping this incident in everyone's mind. We get it: a customer was unhappy with his purchase, and nothing anyone does is going to make him happy. Maybe his wife left him or something. Who cares? Move along. Nothing to see here.

3 more pages and it's eligible for sticky status.

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #67 of 77 Old 01-14-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx View Post

Where to even start.....

wow just wow....

$6k for three systems???? Where can I sign up to start selling systems that expensive? and find someone naive enough to pay that????

Less for both parties involved, A.) don't buy over priced, lipstick on a pick computer to play back videos on a tv that a $300 system can do B.) If you are in customer service and or selling goods and services DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT do anything internationally.

My take on the whole situation... great read though, I needed a laugh.

-Josh

This has to be about the dumbest post I've ever read on here. This has taken my opinion of the internet and humanity to a new low and it makes me hope for the death of HTPC.

post #68 of 77 Old 01-14-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

This has to be about the dumbest post I've ever read on here. This has taken my opinion of the internet and humanity to a new low and it makes me hope for the death of HTPC.

This whole post is a swamp of dumb. I've been out of the day to day HTPC activity on this forum for a long time and figured I'd see what's new and what i've learned while I have been gone is there are way too many Assassin zelots here, and when anyone questions what Assassin says or if anyone goes against the grain their opinion is just shot down and berated.

So anyways I can't have an opinion on the cost of, what I would consider, an outrageously over priced "custom" PC that frankly is no different than any other PC out there?

So tell me whats the difference between a HTPC and a system you can purchase anywhere? NONE, the hardware is the same, there is absolutely zero difference hardware wise between a normal PC and a HTPC, the HTPC tag is given when someone uses it for media consumption used in a living room type fashion, so does that justify a $5700 markup? I'd say not.

Honestly I feel sorry for the OP (Mark?) of this post, first off he was sorely misinformed from the beginning, didn't understand what he was getting himself into and what his perceptions of what he was getting. All that is on him and he can't blame Assassin for that.

However I also fault Assassin for selling a "pipe dream" to a customer and extremely overcharging for said services and products as well as doing it with an international customer in the first place. Also 45 Days to even ship out a "custom" HTPC? Even if the case that was picked out by the OP was backordered and took 3 weeks, there should be some form of exception there or clearly keeping the customer updated on delays.

Either way this whole thing is a mess and is pointless, I don't even see why I am trying to justify my previous comments but eh I'm bored on my lunch break wink.gif

-Josh

post #69 of 77 Old 01-14-2014, 09:34 AM

Liked: 148
Quote:

Where to even start.....

wow just wow....

$6k for three systems???? Where can I sign up to start selling systems that expensive? and find someone naive enough to pay that????

Less for both parties involved, A.) don't buy over priced, lipstick on a pick computer to play back videos on a tv that a $300 system can do B.) If you are in customer service and or selling goods and services DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT do anything internationally.

My take on the whole situation... great read though, I needed a laugh.

-Josh

Ever price a touch screen for a PC? While I personally think it is useless and too expensive, if the client wants it you build it that way. A Kia Rio gets you from point A to point B yet people still buy Bentleys. Remember, not everyone is poor like you. smile.gif
post #70 of 77 Old 01-14-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

You're a tool.

Thanks for the comment I guess wink.gif, I don't know you but the feeling is mutual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin 

So you do the math.

Three HDD's = Maybe, just maybe $400 at most, no way the a touch screen case is $1100+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaskerry77 
@umdivx

dont know if you mean it as a joke, but the first line in your signature made me giggle. tongue.gif

thanks for the reminder, it's updated now, should have said "former Sr. Editor", Like I've said before I've been here, done that, priorities change, passions change and you lose interest.

-Josh

post #71 of 77 Old 01-14-2014, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks for the comment I guess wink.gif, I don't know you but the feeling is mutual.
Three HDD's = Maybe, just maybe $400 at most, no way the a touch screen case is $1100+
thanks for the reminder, it's updated now, should have said "former Sr. Editor", Like I've said before I've been here, done that, priorities change, passions change and you lose interest.

-Josh

just so there is no misunderstanding, i was only referring to an editor spelling senior as seinor. very possibly done on purpose. smile.gif
i dont know anything about missing remote or your work there. might browse it now and then.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #72 of 77 Old 01-14-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

This whole post is a swamp of dumb. I've been out of the day to day HTPC activity on this forum for a long time and figured I'd see what's new and what i've learned while I have been gone is there are way too many Assassin zelots here, and when anyone questions what Assassin says or if anyone goes against the grain their opinion is just shot down and berated.

So anyways I can't have an opinion on the cost of, what I would consider, an outrageously over priced "custom" PC that frankly is no different than any other PC out there?

So tell me whats the difference between a HTPC and a system you can purchase anywhere? NONE, the hardware is the same, there is absolutely zero difference hardware wise between a normal PC and a HTPC, the HTPC tag is given when someone uses it for media consumption used in a living room type fashion, so does that justify a $5700 markup? I'd say not.

Honestly I feel sorry for the OP (Mark?) of this post, first off he was sorely misinformed from the beginning, didn't understand what he was getting himself into and what his perceptions of what he was getting. All that is on him and he can't blame Assassin for that.

However I also fault Assassin for selling a "pipe dream" to a customer and extremely overcharging for said services and products as well as doing it with an international customer in the first place. Also 45 Days to even ship out a "custom" HTPC? Even if the case that was picked out by the OP was backordered and took 3 weeks, there should be some form of exception there or clearly keeping the customer updated on delays.

Either way this whole thing is a mess and is pointless, I don't even see why I am trying to justify my previous comments but eh I'm bored on my lunch break wink.gif

-Josh

"This whole post is a swamp of dumb". Did you mean his post, or were you foreshadowing your own?

Yeah I'd stop trying to justify...and using the non-word "anyways" which only sticks around because the same lot using it are usually also spouting something as woefully brain-dead and plain stupid as: "it is what it is".

Onward, you have absolutely no clue what (in totality) anyone sold to anyone (my payback for anyways wink.gif ).

The only people over-charged are those that don't care enough to know better in the first place- not that I'd necessarily even agree that he was over-charged here, period. Folks much more experienced than I with these component costs have already spoken and a cursory online search has pretty much fortified what they have detailed.

And I for one am not donning an "Assassin sweatband". Other than coming to the reasonable position that he appears to know a fair amount more about computers than most, I can say little about the man, personally. I'm simply working off what either side has brought forth on these 3 pages of joy and have reached what I think is a sensible "semi-conclusion", lol. If more information becomes available, I reserve the right to alter such...this IS the internet, after all. biggrin.gif

As a guy who dove head first into an empty pool when it came to DIY HTPC, I can say that I investigated his options and found them to be a bit more than I wanted to spend...because, well, they just were. That doesn't make them over-priced, just more than I chose to spend. In retrospect I think I'd still go it on my own, I'd but never think for second that his offerings weren't money well spent for someone else. Horses for courses.

When the bulk of the world begins to understand how wildly different personal value systems can be- and still be equally valid- we'll be a lot better of...in a million ways.

Enjoy your lunch.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #73 of 77 Old 01-14-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaskary77 View Post

just so there is no misunderstanding, i was only referring to an editor spelling senior as seinor. very possibly done on purpose. smile.gif
i dont know anything about missing remote or your work there. might browse it now and then.

Haha... definitely wasn't done on purpose, I don't claim to be a great speller or grammar, that is why I got into the technology field wink.gif

Most of my articles/reviews over at MR had to be proof read before posting. MR comes and goes, and just depends on who's in the mood to post, I just got busy with life, work and other priorities and lost focus and time to dedicate to MR.

-Josh

post #74 of 77 Old 01-14-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:

I've had multiple disagreements with Assassin here. I've never had my opinion shot down or berated.
Quote:

You can have whatever opinions that you want, but they would probably be respected more if they were based in facts. $6000 was for 3 PC's, not one. Yes, I'm quite sure you can slap together a computer for around $300, but that certainly doesn't mean that it was the same hardware that the customer here purchased. Maybe Assassin HTPC did sell him some $300 computers at a ridiculous markup, but there certainly isn't any evidence to suggest that.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #75 of 77 Old 01-14-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 179
The lesson here is simple. The next time someone orders a touchscreen case you can no longer think of it as easy money.

post #76 of 77 Old 01-14-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I'm not on any one's side here, and have been popping in here from time to time, but would like to say something concerning the few more recent post.

Without thinking about this thread at all over the weekend I went to Assassin's website, and put together a system as close as possible as what I have, I would say 98% close to what I have, the mobo they have on their site is Asus, I have a Asrock still vert compatible than not. This is with hard drives and all, same case, software.

I was surprise as to how close the cost was to my build, it was a few hundred dollars or so, little over head, I was thinking how is these guys making money? I'm a big proponent on if you can have someone else build it for you, while you can save yourself the frustration, and headache that come with something you know little, or just don't have the time for just pay someone else to do it.

JMHO

Off my soap box I go.

Djoel

post #77 of 77 Old 01-14-2014, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I think that's quite enough. AVS is here to discuss technology, not business relationships. As I've learned from much experience, there are situations between two entities that simply cannot be worked out to everyone's satisfaction. It's not a reflection on either one. It just didn't work and isn't going to. One of the best bosses I ever had said, "Sometimes, you just gotta cut bait and move on."
Mfusick likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page