Finally bought a ssd, thinking about doing a fresh install and building my setup from the beg. again. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 01-09-2014, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so I have been using my htpc for about 2 years and I just bought a ssd and I am thinking about just doing a fresh install of windows, and starting over again, thinking this would make everything faster again. I currently have a partitioned hard drive with my os on its own part, and most of my media and personal files on the other. When I built the pc, I was using a hdhr prime, and a haup. tuner for ota. I ended up canceling cable mostly except they gave me free limited basic which is on one tv. So now I just use that box upstairs instead of the xbox extender. I installed a antenna and I use that for all my other tv's. I also have 2 tv's that use plex to watch content stored on the htpc. I watch the ota, stuff, movies and torrents on the htpc, using wmc and MB. I would like to try xbmc, as I think it might be better for getting internet based content like torrents and stuff? Should I start from scratch and give xbmc a try or do I still need wmc for watching my ota stuff with the guide? How hard is it going to be to get shark and all that stuff set back up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-09-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
I bought an SSD a few weeks back for my main HTPC. I'd suggest doing a migration from the old partition to the new drive, it's really not too difficult and will save you some time in the end.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-09-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 649
I disagree.

Starting from the begining is best. You get a clean registry, clean set up of drivers, and it will perform the best. Then set or create a back up so you can revert back to that in the future. The time saved by cloning is not worth it IMO.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 21 Old 01-09-2014, 12:36 PM

Liked: 12
What ever problems are embedded in the drive you wish to clone, will be inherited to the SSD. I'd start clean.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-09-2014, 12:40 PM

Liked: 30
I'd do a new install too. It's a good opportunity to have a "clean" install, without all of the junk that Windows accumulates in the registry and all over the hard drive. Also note that Windows 7 will optimise itself for use on an SSD when it detects it is being installed on one. OK, so it will probably reconfigure itself when an old HDD install finds itself running on an SSD but in a much more messy way.

A new drive is a good opportunity to have a good spring clean as it were. All Windows installations accumulate junk, both stuff which you the user installs and then no longer uses and so on - even when you uninstall you often get a bunch of crap left hanging around. And as I said,m Windows itself pile sup junk in the registry, old updates that get superceded and so on....

What you have is the easiest system drive change, because you can plug your old HDD in as a data drive, and just copy across anything you want from it that way. It's a much bigger pain in the ass if you can;t do that
post #6 of 21 Old 01-09-2014, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Ok you guys touched on some of the things I was thinking. Right now my partition is 67gb out of 73. I have a lot of program files and data on that I suppose. If I were to do a clean install would I set it up to store my program files and data on the hdd? If I did that would I lose the benefit of the ssd being able to open programs faster? As this pc is on 24/7 the boot time doesn't benefit me at all.
post #7 of 21 Old 03-30-2014, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Ok can someone tell me any setting I need to do in the bios and such. I guess I am going to disconnect my hd then install w7 on the ssd then reconnect the hard drive, I want to be able to boot into the old os until I get the new one set up perfectly. I keep reading about ahci and ide and raid and I just need a nice easy guide.
post #8 of 21 Old 03-30-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanly2 View Post

Ok can someone tell me any setting I need to do in the bios and such. I guess I am going to disconnect my hd then install w7 on the ssd then reconnect the hard drive, I want to be able to boot into the old os until I get the new one set up perfectly. I keep reading about ahci and ide and raid and I just need a nice easy guide.

Just make sure you set your SATA controller to ACHI mode before you install windows or format the drive. You want to install windows to your SSD while in ACHI mode in the bios.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #9 of 21 Old 03-31-2014, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I would also leave your old HD disconnected until you are happy with the SSD install and things are stable. I would consider a new HD for your data and save the old one for an emergency spare (don't forget how old the HD is). If you do use the old HD; it may be a good idea to format and repartition.
You are really going to like the SSD...it's like sex and rock-and-roll. biggrin.gif
post #10 of 21 Old 03-31-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 192
What I did when I created a new computer with a solid state drive was to create a backup image of the drive AFTER installing all my programs.

I set up WMC, Shark007, Media Browser, Arcsoft TMT5, My Channel Logos, etc, and THEN created the image.

That way when/if I want to do a "clean" install I have everything already set up. Its much faster.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #11 of 21 Old 03-31-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I recently upgraded from spindle to SSD for my HTPC (O/S drive only). I put it off for a long time, but so glad I did now. Everything is far snapier and much quicker to resume from sleep. I actually decided to migrate to SSD, so used EaseUS disk clone to do this (it has specific SSD support). Worked perfectly as well. I checked TRIM was enabled afterwards (it was), and have not had a problem since. A new install sounds great, but this way it saved me from having to re-do what is a fairly complex build with lots of little tweaks and settings. Took me about 1 hr to do, which included swapping over the disks!
post #12 of 21 Old 04-01-2014, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The Feb 2014 issue of Maximum PC has an article about moving your OS to an SSD. They discuss both doing a fresh install & cloning the existing OS ot an SSD. They also compare 10 SSDs. The issue does not appear to be archived yet on their website but should be available at a library.
post #13 of 21 Old 04-01-2014, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17

Transferring is simple, using something such as macrium reflect is extremely easy and I'm pretty sure I could walk my parents through it over the phone, as long as your source is not larger in space currently used than your target.  Moving 120GB of data to a 64GB SSD obviously wouldn't work.  Does your motherboard have UEFI?  I know you said you don't turn it off much but UEFI windows 7 installs are much, much faster, even on SSDs.  I have a regular HDD that I installed on using UEFI and it's almost as fast for the  initial "Welcome" boot as an ssd.  Something to consider.

post #14 of 21 Old 04-01-2014, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

I installed w7 on the ssd the other day, then I plugged my other hard drive back in. I can see all drives, but I would like to be able to boot from either drive because the new install is not fully configured yet. I cant see the other drive as a boot option in the bios, or msconfig.
post #15 of 21 Old 04-01-2014, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Also I did notice the UEFI in the boot menu, not sure if I should use that or not since I already have the ssd now. Also should I set the ssd to first in the boot order instead of the disc drive or just leave it as is?
post #16 of 21 Old 04-22-2014, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Can someone help me set this up to be dual boot so that I can configure everything?
post #17 of 21 Old 04-22-2014, 04:53 PM

You could plug in your old HD and then point your BIOS config to the old disk. But I would have a bad feeling doing that. rolleyes.gif
You had two things to worry about on the old HD; data and applications. Backup the data and reload the applications. Window 7 does a pretty dam good job of finding drivers on its own.
post #18 of 21 Old 04-22-2014, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

That is how i have it now but changing it in the bios everytime is too much. I am not worried about the drivers and stuff im more worried about setting up wmc and codecs and the dual output that i use with 2 screens and getting the audio set up and all. It takes a while and i want to be able to boot right back to the other one if i need too.
post #19 of 21 Old 04-23-2014, 05:04 AM

I fool around with HTPC’s all the time, so setting one up is second nature to me. You might be better off biting the bullet and configure the HTPC from scratch. Besides, it will give you some additional experience and confidence with building your next HTPC. The few issues that you mention really are not show stoppers.
IMHO: Just keep it simple, SSD is for OS and applications; HD for data. biggrin.gif
post #20 of 21 Old 04-24-2014, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

What do you recommend for the codecs? Is everyone still installing shark or did they switch to just installing LAV?
post #21 of 21 Old 04-24-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanly2 View Post

What do you recommend for the codecs? Is everyone still installing shark or did they switch to just installing LAV?

Just a FYI, as of v201 (v201 is being released today) of the
32bit STANDARD codecs and the STANDARD x64Components addon
only install the LAV filters and DirectVobSub (xyVSFilter) for subtitle support.
All other DirectShow codecs have been removed from the STANDARD releases.

The ADVANCED release still contains other decoders such as Haali and FFDshow.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page