How do I watch my cable box in Win 7? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 70 Old 01-23-2014, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does it let you watch live TV or just DVR? I saw an ad for that but it didn't mention anything about live TV, just recordings. Also, can I connect it directly through my PC or does it need to be part of a network? I don't have an additional network cable to run to it because the modem is on the complete opposite of the room. Also, my router is really out of date. We've been putting off updating it because we haven't really had a need to. If I can just run it straight to my computer, that would actually work.... as long as I can watch it in a window, not just in a slingbox application that wants to hog my screen with clutter. I'll look more into this, but so far I haven't seen an answer to those questions.

I just read that Slingbox only supports up to 720p. Is that the same as the PVR you guys were suggesting?

I hate this so much. Why can't they just let people enjoy entertainment the way they want? Why do they have this compulsive need to constantly slap consumers with all these stupid regulations and limiting technologies that make everything so much more complicated than it needs to be? Same stupid crap with DRM. It just makes me so angry. Its because of this crap that I'm having all these damn problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 Old 01-28-2014, 08:52 PM

You said, "I do NOT want to use windows media player to connect to my cable service. I merely want to watch the video/audio feed coming from my cable box/DVR in Win 7 in a window that I can hopefully change the size of, minimize, and maximize (full screen with no frame)."

I am able to do this now. I have Comcast Xfinity Cable Service. My Set Top Box (STB) is a simple HD DTA and has no DVR but does have HDMI HD output plus RF analog output. I have been hearing that if your have a STB for Cable service, with DVR, which can be connected to the internet, then you can do exactly what you want to do as I now do with my Dish Network service.

I have a Dish Network VIP-722 Receiver with DVR. It has one USB receptacle. A tiny Sling adaptor is plugged into that USB receptacle.
This tiny adapter integrates the DVR with the Internet. The DVR Receiver is connected to my Cable Modem via an ethernet cable. My Windows 7 Ultimate Laptop in connect to the Internet via Wireless. Wherever I am, at home or on vacation, if I have Wireless access, I can operate my DVR and the Dish Receiver via Wireless from my Laptop. I use a secure Wireless Hotspot for Internet access when away from home.

In order to operated my DVR remotely and watch local TV from my home city stations, etc., I log in to Dish Online and can then do what I normally do using my Dish Network remote at home, from my Laptop. When at home, I can send video and audio from the Laptop to the TV via the Wireless Display (WiDi) transmitter built in to my Laptop. I did have to buy a WiDi receiver located at the TV which connects to an
HDMI input on the TV via WiDi. When away from home, I carry a 10 foot HDMI to connect my Laptop to the Lodging TV. or carry the WiDi receiver, which has both HDMI and Yellow/Red/White outputs, with me. The WiDi simply displays, whatever is on the Laptop display, on the
TV or Projector.

From what I have been seeing when logged in to my Comcast account, you should be able to do the same if you have the required Cable STB with DVR. You may be able to do it with the STB that you now have. I do not know if you require a Sling adapter to do this. Dish provided the adapter to me at no cost.

I like the ability to look at Program Guides, Schedule DVR recordings, watch live TV and Delete DVR recordings from the Laptop, from anywhere.

dv
post #63 of 70 Old 01-29-2014, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmmm

http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/cable-show-comcast-will-stream-live-tv-dvr-to-array-of-connected-devices-1200495300/

http://www.comcast.com/x1

It looks similar to xfinity online. They don't let you watch reruns, just newer episodes that time out after a number of weeks... then they just take them off and you can't watch them anymore after that. There's a few shows I'd love to watch reruns of. Basically, just what they "allow" you to watch so companies can make money off DVD's and Bluray sales. Ugh...

Anyone know someone who uses X1 who can confirm what I just said about how they delete episodes of shows after they've aged slightly? In other words you can't watch episodes of Community or Big Bang Theory from last season or before that, only newer episodes from the current season.

If I ever decided to use a service that let me watch stuff online, I would just want to watch the shows I want to watch without any bull**** or catches. Comcast seems to be deeply in league with DVD/Blueray sales. I noticed they yanked a bunch of stuff off on demand right before Christmas. I'm sure everyone's kids threw a giant temper tantrum. Shady... and really crappy way to treat your customers.
post #64 of 70 Old 01-30-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 176
X1 is Comcast's whole home dvr system, ala Dish Hopper, Directv Genie, Tivo+Roamio, WMC+extender, etc. As far as cable company DVR interfaces go its really really nice.

The newest revision of the firmware (X2) is opening up "cloud storage", which is kind of bogus as you noted. They aren't actually recording a program for you to dedicated storage on a server. They are letting you watch their own stored copy of it across all your devices (probably limiting fast forwarding too). I still *think* you have the option for local storage.

And yes Comcast is very much interested in making money off dvd/bluray/streaming sales. They own a movie studio (Universal) a tv production company (Universal Television) numerous tv networks (NBC, USA, SyFy, etc), and several pay streaming sites (Streampix and part owner of Hulu).

But I still think they are more interested in ad sales which is why they want to control the programming/recording and the terms of viewing it.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #65 of 70 Old 01-30-2014, 07:29 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post

OK, so keep the cable box. Getting an HDHomerun Prime or Ceton card is still going to be easier (and much, much better) than using a capture device.

^^^

This.

I have a Ceton InfiniTV. It's awesome.

I also have one cable box. Hooked up to a slingbox. Because, like you, I wanted a "backup" just in case I'm having trouble with my PC. i did however, return all of my cable equipment EXCEPT FOR ONE CABLE BOX (and the cablecard I need for the PC), and once you make a little bit of an upfront investment, it is a lot cheaper than renting a whole bunch of boxes to hook up to a bunch of TVs throughout the house. And it's more functional/versatile. And I enjoy tinkering, too.

JMO.
post #66 of 70 Old 01-30-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I have been using a Prime exclusively for three years and have never needed a back up CableCo STB in case I had a problem with my PC. It is basically an appliance for me.

post #67 of 70 Old 01-31-2014, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

On Demand is still really useful though. If I ever got a cable card box..... wouldn't I lose that? It's my ace in the whole when a really bad storm (like a hurricane) knocks out the cable even if we still have power, and I miss a favorite show.

Anyway my problem is halfway solved. This new TV has picture in picture. Its not wonderful, but it's nice I can do that. I don't understand why you can't change the size of the small window, or at least it's position on the screen. It's right over where I get windows messages in the bottom right corner, above the task bar. So if there's an anti-virus update or some other important thing trying to get my attention, I won't see it. I wonder if there's a hack for the TV software that changes it........ I have no idea where I'd even look for something like that.
post #68 of 70 Old 02-03-2014, 07:53 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella View Post

On Demand is still really useful though. If I ever got a cable card box..... wouldn't I lose that? It's my ace in the whole when a really bad storm (like a hurricane) knocks out the cable even if we still have power, and I miss a favorite show.

Anyway my problem is halfway solved. This new TV has picture in picture. Its not wonderful, but it's nice I can do that. I don't understand why you can't change the size of the small window, or at least it's position on the screen. It's right over where I get windows messages in the bottom right corner, above the task bar. So if there's an anti-virus update or some other important thing trying to get my attention, I won't see it. I wonder if there's a hack for the TV software that changes it........ I have no idea where I'd even look for something like that.

Yes, On-Demand is not delivered via cablecard.

It'll probably still work on an phone/tablet... for that matter, if you're using your HTPC directly (as opposed to an Extender), you might be able to get it using the browser. Or Netflix. Or Amazon Prime. Or HBOGo. ect.

If you've lost power, though, you aren't going to be watching On-Demand on your big-screen via your cable box. You'd be using a tablet or something else on battery. You'll still be able to do that, with or without a cable box. Just need a valid e-mail address / login password to authenticate.
post #69 of 70 Old 02-03-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I think you can still get Pay-Per-View with a cablecard. You just have to order it online or over the phone and tune into a channel. I don't really care for On-Demand since there are plenty of ways to do On-Demand style service with a HTPC or other streaming services.

post #70 of 70 Old 02-03-2014, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I think you can still get Pay-Per-View with a cablecard. You just have to order it online or over the phone and tune into a channel. I don't really care for On-Demand since there are plenty of ways to do On-Demand style service with a HTPC or other streaming services.

that is how i order ppv fights with cablecard
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page