New Media Browser 3 on New Configuration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 01-10-2014, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Doing a clean install on a test system before retiring my Mediabrowser 2 system.

Gigabyte B75M-D3H, ATI 6570, 4g of ram, Win7 Pro 64bit.

1. Looking for advice on ATI driver selection.

2. Will Any....HD be necessary to defeat cina.....???

3. Recommended settings for Lav audio and video.

4. Recommended settings for MB Theater, appearance, video player, network, etc.

No gaming, just streaming from Mediabrowser Server. Trying to keep it simple and yes I know that MB Theater is still in Beta.

Thanks in advance to the hard work by the developers and contributors to this forum.

Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-11-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
1. Don't have ATI, I always had problems with CCC.

2. I don't really understand question 2, but if you want to convert your files for MBT use, makemkv is great.

3. http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=516729

4. As of now, I don't think that there's much to tinker with there (I could be wrong). I just have MadVR enabled and that's it.

post #3 of 31 Old 01-12-2014, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay, really need some help here. Installed MB Theater on my system as a dual boot, WIN7 Pro and Win 8 Pro. Everything works great, except it will only play the first movie I tried of 229, Avatar. I can stop, ff, rewind, pause Avatar without issue. Each time I choose another movie from the library, "error processing request".

On my office desktop which has been running MB Theater since the November launch, I can choose, stop, etc. any of the 229 movies without an issue???

Really don't understand why this is happening, your help is greatly appreciated.

Glenn
post #4 of 31 Old 01-12-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
For something like that, I'd head over to the MB forums (if you haven't already). I think that they'd get you an answer a lot quicker.

post #5 of 31 Old 01-12-2014, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

For something like that, I'd head over to the MB forums (if you haven't already). I think that they'd get you an answer a lot quicker.

Thanks, I did and read some of the threads concerning this error. As long as you leave the lav filters at default, everything works perfect. Will test before I insert it into my dedicated theater, need to be sure hd audio formats are being bit streamed to the receiver as my desktop test area is stereo only.

Love the feel of the program with Win 8.1 , smooth and silky performance. Looking forward to the future "power buttons" that were recently teased in the MB3 thread.
post #6 of 31 Old 01-12-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

+1

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 31 Old 01-12-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanhdtv View Post

Doing a clean install on a test system before retiring my Mediabrowser 2 system.

Gigabyte B75M-D3H, ATI 6570, 4g of ram, Win7 Pro 64bit.

1. Looking for advice on ATI driver selection.

2. Will Any....HD be necessary to defeat cina.....???

3. Recommended settings for Lav audio and video.

4. Recommended settings for MB Theater, appearance, video player, network, etc.

No gaming, just streaming from Mediabrowser Server. Trying to keep it simple and yes I know that MB Theater is still in Beta.

Thanks in advance to the hard work by the developers and contributors to this forum.

Glenn

1. ATI driver- I would install the most recent non beta version from AMD website.

2. What do you mean by question 2?

3. For 3 I would follow the traditionally set up process for those. You can take a look at Asassin's SHARK007 set up page and basically just copy those if you want screen shots and step by step instructions.

4. There is not much you need to do with that. keep in mind MB theater is beta, and it's stripped down. It does not support themes yet or have fancy looks yet. It's still being developed from a features and functions standpoint so you can use and enjoy it but I would keep that in mind. There is not anything special you need to do to set it up though.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #8 of 31 Old 01-12-2014, 06:39 PM

Liked: 13
Did you use UNC names for the server configuration? Your movies should be located at something like \\server\Movies, NOT D:\Movies
post #9 of 31 Old 01-12-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohh-bah View Post

Did you use UNC names for the server configuration? Your movies should be located at something like \\server\Movies, NOT D:\Movies

Yes. This is covered in the MB3 set up guide well. Have you explored the MB3 forums for set up help ?

-

post #10 of 31 Old 01-12-2014, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

1. ATI driver- I would install the most recent non beta version from AMD website.

2. What do you mean by question 2?

3. For 3 I would follow the traditionally set up process for those. You can take a look at Asassin's SHARK007 set up page and basically just copy those if you want screen shots and step by step instructions.

4. There is not much you need to do with that. keep in mind MB theater is beta, and it's stripped down. It does not support themes yet or have fancy looks yet. It's still being developed from a features and functions standpoint so you can use and enjoy it but I would keep that in mind. There is not anything special you need to do to set it up though.

Question number 2. I answered on my own, ANYDVD HD does not need to be installed to avoid cinavia issues.

Mfusick, Thanks for the heads up on the shark codec guide, will give it a look. I have played with the audio, appears if any formats are checked, DTS, Dolby True HD, etc., the error will pop up. At default settings everything is fine. If it bitstreams properly I will leave audio alone, more interested in video settings as I will be projecting onto a 120" scope screen.

Thanks to all.............
post #11 of 31 Old 01-13-2014, 02:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I know a lot of posters use Shark and other codec packs, but there's no real need for them. In fact I think MBTheatre comes pre-loaded with LAV, so no need for any external installation at all (unless you want to use madVR and xy-subfilter, which require additional installs)

For bitstream its normally only a case of ensuring that the formats are checked in the LAV Audio Configuration screen. Leaving LAV filters at default certainly won't get you bitstreamed audio, it will be decoded in the PC and sent to your receiver as LPCM. Dolby DIgital, TrueHD and DTS will be decoded and played back correctly (but your lights won't light up on the receiver), however DTS-MA will be downsampled to bog standard DTS, unless you use the dtsconfigdll.dll file to correctly decode the stream.

I certainly have no issues bitstreaming (but I'm using Win7). Don't know if there are specific issues with Win 8.1 sorry.

Clearly something not working - could it be the dual boot is causing issue (any particular reason for that?) - just a stab in the dark mind. I'm a great believer in keeping these things as simple as possible, I doubt dual-booting would fall into that category. biggrin.gif
post #12 of 31 Old 01-13-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Actually I was suggesting he copied the LAV set up pictures and steps in Assassins guide for shark007 as reference if he needed explanation of the settings.

Shark007 has LAV so the process is mostly the same. You are right you don't need to install it if you already have it. Thanks for mention this because I wasn't clear enough.

-

post #13 of 31 Old 01-13-2014, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

I know a lot of posters use Shark and other codec packs, but there's no real need for them. In fact I think MBTheatre comes pre-loaded with LAV, so no need for any external installation at all (unless you want to use madVR and xy-subfilter, which require additional installs)

For bitstream its normally only a case of ensuring that the formats are checked in the LAV Audio Configuration screen. Leaving LAV filters at default certainly won't get you bitstreamed audio, it will be decoded in the PC and sent to your receiver as LPCM. Dolby DIgital, TrueHD and DTS will be decoded and played back correctly (but your lights won't light up on the receiver), however DTS-MA will be downsampled to bog standard DTS, unless you use the dtsconfigdll.dll file to correctly decode the stream.

I certainly have no issues bitstreaming (but I'm using Win7). Don't know if there are specific issues with Win 8.1 sorry.

Clearly something not working - could it be the dual boot is causing issue (any particular reason for that?) - just a stab in the dark mind. I'm a great believer in keeping these things as simple as possible, I doubt dual-booting would fall into that category. biggrin.gif

The dual boot is on separate hard drives, just deciding if I will stay with Win 7 or move on to 8.1 for the future. Even on the desktop system when checking any audio options the "error processing request" rears its ugly head. Will continue to experiment and report back.

Thanks for the input.
post #14 of 31 Old 01-13-2014, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

When configuring lav audio, I can check all audio formats, except "DTS" and playback works with no errors.

Checking the "DTS" box is the issue, not really understanding why, referred to Assassins Shark 007 guide, all other settings seem to be in order?????????
post #15 of 31 Old 01-13-2014, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

LOL the one thing you haven't told us is whether you are running to a receiver and what supported formats are being shown in the Windows properties screen. Sometimes Shark can be too clever (not a criticism), might be worth stripping everything back to a bog standard install (ie delete all codec related files LAV, Shark etc and run a driver sweeper). With a clean system you could then try an MBTheatre download, set-up the filters and see if that sorts your problem. If not I'm sure Shark will be along soon to offer his assistance if you want to retain the Shark install.

What level of MBTheatre are you using - if its the dev builds, might be better to revert to beta builds until this issue resolves (just a throw away thought).
post #16 of 31 Old 01-13-2014, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL the one thing you haven't told us is whether you are running to a receiver and what supported formats are being shown in the Windows properties screen. Sometimes Shark can be too clever (not a criticism), might be worth stripping everything back to a bog standard install (ie delete all codec related files LAV, Shark etc and run a driver sweeper). With a clean system you could then try an MBTheatre download, set-up the filters and see if that sorts your problem. If not I'm sure Shark will be along soon to offer his assistance if you want to retain the Shark install.

What level of MBTheatre are you using - if its the dev builds, might be better to revert to beta builds until this issue resolves (just a throw away thought).

I don't consider the issue funny at all. Yes ultimately the htpc will be installed in my dedicated theater. It will be attached to a receiver just as my Media Browser 2 machine was. There is only one release of MB Theater to download, and yes it is considered beta. I have been building HTPC's for over 15 years, I know what I am doing.

I desire to get away from Windows Media Center which is required for MB2 and MB Classic. MB Theater as a stand alone product is the future imho and "Classic" support will eventually cease.

This is a "BOG clean Install", as I have stated several times, I keep a master image of the clean OS, when a problem occurs that can't be fixed I start fresh each time. The problem appears to be the lav audio configuration in relationship to MB Theater, which is part of the mandatory install to use the internal player...

I am not an expert on lav audio, or a tester of MB Theater, just an enthusiast like many on this forum, TRYING TO SOLVE A PROBLEM, that I don't find FUNNY at all.
post #17 of 31 Old 01-13-2014, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Oh for heaven's sake lighten up. I wasn't making light of your issue, just that I realised that you hadn't given that particular information and the fact that you were having issues - oh forget it. You clearly know what you're doing - good luck.

The reason I asked about the level of MBT is that it can be changed within dashboard to dev level, but you knew that didn't you - you've been building HTPC's for 15 years.
Quote:

It will be attached to a receiver just as my Media Browser 2 machine was.

So its not attached to a receiver at the moment? If its not connected at this time, how do you expect it to play back the required formats.
post #18 of 31 Old 01-13-2014, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh for heaven's sake lighten up. I wasn't making light of your issue, just that I realised that you hadn't given that particular information and the fact that you were having issues - oh forget it. You clearly know what you're doing - good luck.

The reason I asked about the level of MBT is that it can be changed within dashboard to dev level, but you knew that didn't you - you've been building HTPC's for 15 years.
So its not attached to a receiver at the moment? If its not connected at this time, how do you expect it to play back the required formats.

Yes I have tried the development level of release with no change in the DTS issue. I am sorry if I am not a MB Theater expert such as you, just looking for help.

I find it hard to believe that the developers are running a full blown home theater with receiver attached to the pc, feeding video to a display along with 5.1 or 7.1 speakers attached?

All movies will play if the 'DTS" icon is not checked. Are you claiming that MB Theater will not work if attached directly to a HDTV with stereo speakers attached?? All lav audio settings at default??

Do you really understand my question, if not move on and maybe someone who has encountered a similar issue will jump in. The "error processing request" bug has been discussed in several threads on the MB3 website, with different solutions explained, none of which seem to be similar to mine.

Thanks
post #19 of 31 Old 01-13-2014, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

All movies will play if the 'DTS" icon is not checked. Are you claiming that MB Theater will not work if attached directly to a HDTV with stereo speakers attached?? All lav audio settings at default??

Sorry should have clarified, if its not working when DTS is checked, that would suggest that you are attempting to bitstream to a source which cannot decode the codec ie your HDTV, some TV's have the capability to passthrough DD, but very few do DTS. Perhaps if hooked up to your receiver with access to all the relevant codecs you will have more success. Might also have been apt to relate the correct scenario in your initial post.

You really have quite an attitude for someone looking for help. I have never suggested being an expert in anything unlike your self-proclaimed expertise in HTPC. Your right time to move on, Good luck.
post #20 of 31 Old 01-13-2014, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AnyDVD is important for cinavia issues. It will need to be installed. Unfortunately, cinavia is embedded in the audio stream of the entire movie. Even if you convert an ISO to MKV or strip out one audio track for another...cinavia can still be an issue. If you have tried to watch a movie it will give you 20 minutes (any 20 minutes) of movie...after that, you get the black screen. AnyDVD is slick in that it doesn't remove the copy protection, it tells the players to stop looking for it (nice workaround). When Anydvd is initially installed, you have to turn on the workaround (it is off by default).
post #21 of 31 Old 01-13-2014, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One thing to also check...make sure your receiver supports the specified formats. DON'T check any formats in the shark007/LAV codec that are not specifically supported by your receiver...totally messes things up (at least it has in my experience). Took me a while to work out that little nugget (but that was a couple of years ago). Also you should check out graphstudio to eval the source file and where all the video/audio is being sent and decoded. It looks complicated, but it really helps! If you can see where things are happening you might be able to work backward and find the problems.
post #22 of 31 Old 01-17-2014, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bye, Bye, ATI.............As an amateur and fellow avsforum member I would like to update and hopefully help others in their quest to install and successfully use MB Theater.

After 4 fresh installs on both Win 7 and Win 8 I continued to be plagued with various audio and video issues. On some movies there was audio without video, video without audio, or the "error processing request". Random movies, different audio streams or movies that once played without issue, would no longer play.

So I switched out the ATI 6570 and installed a Nvidia GT630. Bang, ALL movies playing. If correct audio options are "ckecked" under the Lav audio settings the appropriate hd audio is bit streamed to the receiver. Everything appears to be 100%, and yes I tried various ATI driver sets before pulling it out. I had several years of success with the 6570 which was highly regarded for htpc use, but I am now a Nvidia supporter.

Some things you should know when setting up MB Theater, in my opinion as observed over the past week:

If installing the software on a non multi-channel device (hdmi audio receiver) such as a test bench or desktop monitor, the error message will pop up when trying to play a video with "DTS" and "DTS HD" checked under the lav audio configuration. If all lav audio settings are at default, no errors are encountered. So I recommend that you choose your audio settings once your system is fully installed in your desired configuration. Audio settings under MB2 and Classic are configured under the necessary third party player such as TMT or Power DVD, so I have never experienced this behavior in the past.

It appears that the internal player used in MB Theater is a little touchy concerning audio settings, perhaps this is some kind of hdcp issue?
However, the video and audio quality of the internal player looks and sounds great to me. I think the developers have done an outstanding job of developing their player and I look forward to future enhancements.

I ended up with 8.1 as my final platform. MB Theater is quick and easy to navigate, and Win 8.1 clearly is more efficient with faster load times than the veteran Win 7. If you haven't tried it in you htpc, give it a spin.

Anyone needing help with MB Theater feel free to ask or give feedback. My thanks to those above that made an effort to help me resolve this issue.

Glenn
post #23 of 31 Old 01-17-2014, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anyone needing help with MB Theater feel free to ask or give feedback. I promise to be respectful and will never respond with "lol" or tell you to "lighten up". My thanks to those above that made an effort to help me resolve this issue.

Glenn

LOL yeah because I was so disrespectful and petulant that I actually wanted to help you. Turns out my suggestions were actually correct and if you had had the gumption to provide accurate information in the first place, you might have got the solution a lot quicker, but your the expert (self proclaimed I might add). Glad you got it sorted oh and just a reminder that MBT is still in alpha so likely to be "a little touchy" - a bit like you LOL
post #24 of 31 Old 01-17-2014, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
It just proves to show that no matter how many years of experience we have in a certain area, there is always something new we can learn that we didn't know before. We'll never stop learning new things in our lifetime.

With that said, I have tried and tested MBT and its pretty fluid so far for being in alpha status. However I will still hold off on using it full-time until the product is more polished. I use MBC in the meantime and its been working flawless for me.
post #25 of 31 Old 01-17-2014, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL yeah because I was so disrespectful and petulant that I actually wanted to help you. Turns out my suggestions were actually correct and if you had had the gumption to provide accurate information in the first place, you might have got the solution a lot quicker, but your the expert (self proclaimed I might add). Glad you got it sorted oh and just a reminder that MBT is still in alpha so likely to be "a little touchy" - a bit like you LOL

Wow steelman..........................I edited my post before you ever responded because I realized I needed to let it go.......................have YOU!
post #26 of 31 Old 01-17-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Clearly you hadn't, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to quote the unedited part. I think the laughs will tell you how I feel. But I had nothing to let go in the first place, because I wasn't the one taking the hump tongue.gif
post #27 of 31 Old 01-17-2014, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Clearly you hadn't, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to quote the unedited part. I think the laughs will tell you how I feel. But I had nothing to let go in the first place, because I wasn't the one taking the hump tongue.gif

You are right as always, but I know what my intentions were..............peace out and enjoy the link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wor7COXXPKs
post #28 of 31 Old 01-17-2014, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Why would that link interest me - my user name has no nfl connotations at all - after all only the yanks could invent a game predominantly involving the 'handling' of a ball and call it 'football' biggrin.gif

Nice try anyway.
post #29 of 31 Old 01-17-2014, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why would that link interest me - my user name has no nfl connotations at all - after all only the yanks could invent a game predominantly involving the 'handling' of a ball and call it 'football' biggrin.gif

Nice try anyway.

Yep! Only the brits would name a game about a "ball and a bat" and call it Cricket, and name the pitcher a "bowler"................

Have a great weekend and I have enjoyed the banter.
post #30 of 31 Old 01-17-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nice try anyway.

NFL = GOAT SPORT. It's just more awesome than other sports.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page