Copy TV From Cable STB DVR to HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-11-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Years ago, there was a solution for XP where you would attach the HTPC to the cable box via firewire. You would then load drivers such that the HTPC thought it was connected to a DVHS. Using various software, I forget the names offhand but I could look them up, you could record on the HTPC to a TS file while playing back from the DVR.

The use case is to just preserve DVR recordings so as not to lose them if the DVR has to be swapped out or dies.

Is there a modern day methodology for Win7?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I'm not sure of the drivers/software will work with win7 (I seem to recall reading that they do, but I may have imagined it) but your biggest problem is probably going to be DRM. Anything marked as copy once, won't transfer from the DVR. It's going to depend on your cable provider.

If I had a signature, this is where it would be.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-12-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Here's a thread on the subject, I believe it still may work if you're running 32 bit Windows 7.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/403695/how-to-record-via-ieee-1394-firewire-to-windows-xp

The only "modern" alternative would be to get a capture device that takes in component/composite (i.e. analog) outputs and captures to a digital format.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-12-2014, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thanks for the link. I failed to find it in my own search. Looks like it still may work.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-12-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Easiest, least expensive and most painless way is to just buy one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-Edition-Definition-Capture-Passthrough/dp/B008ZT8QKO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389553600&sr=8-1&keywords=hauppage+hd%3Dpvr

When I built my HTPC, I looked into all kinds of capture cards and software, etc. Someone suggested the HD-PVR (I have the older one that only has the component inputs, but it works well too) and I haven't looked back. It has worked great for me for the last 4 years. I mostly use it to archive NFL games for my own personal use (watch during offseason) from my DirecTV DVR and it records to .ts format. I honestly can't tell a difference between the recording and the original from HDMI.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-12-2014, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLnut View Post

Easiest, least expensive and most painless way is to just buy one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-Edition-Definition-Capture-Passthrough/dp/B008ZT8QKO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389553600&sr=8-1&keywords=hauppage+hd%3Dpvr

When I built my HTPC, I looked into all kinds of capture cards and software, etc. Someone suggested the HD-PVR (I have the older one that only has the component inputs, but it works well too) and I haven't looked back. It has worked great for me for the last 4 years. I mostly use it to archive NFL games for my own personal use (watch during offseason) from my DirecTV DVR and it records to .ts format. I honestly can't tell a difference between the recording and the original from HDMI.

Does it work with copy protected content?

post #7 of 10 Old 01-12-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

It records whatever is being played out of the DVR. I haven't used the HDMI model (mine is the original HD-PVR 1 which only streams out component, but I cannot see a difference between the HDMI recording), but I believe that as long as you are playing the recording, it will record without a problem.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-12-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

After looking at a couple of FAQ's, there are some reports that it will not be able to record HDCP video without using something like an HDFury. But as I said, I have used the original HD-PVR which has only component inputs/outputs and I honestly cannot tell a difference. The PQ is identical to watching the HDMI recording. It works awesome for what I need, which is archived football games in high definition.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-12-2014, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLnut View Post

After looking at a couple of FAQ's, there are some reports that it will not be able to record HDCP video without using something like an HDFury. But as I said, I have used the original HD-PVR which has only component inputs/outputs and I honestly cannot tell a difference. The PQ is identical to watching the HDMI recording. It works awesome for what I need, which is archived football games in high definition.

I'd say the component version would work fine as there isn't and HDCP issues with that analog signal. The HDMI version on the other hand is probably going to be more trouble than it's worth for copy protected content. Unless I'm mistaken the HDFury is just going to convert the signal back to analog again so you're not getting any benefit from using the HDMI version. (if anything you're just adding extra devices which cost more)

If your content isn't encrypted, the firewire method (on supported systems) is pretty easy, and you end up with a perfect copy of the original. (plus it costs the price of a firewire cable... and maybe a FW card if you don't have one)

post #10 of 10 Old 01-13-2014, 11:24 AM

Liked: 14
I have the component version and it works great. Had a power supply fail about a year ago but replaced it and everything is great.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page