Why does one go with a HTPC? I'm interested but not sure of the benefits. Thanks for any input! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 52 Old 01-13-2014, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks again for all the input! I think the HTPC would be a fun hobby and probably will be for me sometime in the near future. Since I just bought a new projector and screen plus some other theater related items, I'm broke and will have to wait on venturing into the HTPC arena, but everyone's input has certainly enticed me. The crazy thing is that my renewed interest in our families home theater and the above purchases all stemed from wife and daughter looking at some cool theater seats and thus we had to buy them and then the rest is history...what an expensive hobby!
Mrbaduchi likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 01-14-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

I don't want to pay $70/month to rent a whole house DVR and 5 HD boxes. Instead, I pay $5/month to rent a single cableCARD and all 6 TV's in the house get full access to all the channels.

Oh, and all TV's get access to our 1500 movie title library, 10,000 song library, and so much more.

Out of curiosity, how do the TVs get the channels? Can they each change channels independently?
post #33 of 52 Old 01-14-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Buying theater seats (sort of) means you are committed.

You can build a great HTPC very cheap if you don't need to do PC gaming. Any Z87 mobo with Haswell I3 is all you need.
post #34 of 52 Old 01-14-2014, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
you don't even need z87. b85 is plenty for a basic htpc. h87 is plenty too. z87 is overkill.
post #35 of 52 Old 01-14-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent View Post

Out of curiosity, how do the TVs get the channels? Can they each change channels independently?

Yes, all 6 TV's are independent from each other, but share unified recording schedule and drive. i.e something recorded in one room, can be viewed anywhere else.

Check out Windows Media Center and Windows Media Center Extenders.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #36 of 52 Old 01-14-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

The $5 rental fee he is referring to is in addition to the base-subscription cost of his digital cable package. Typically the whole home DVR and additional TV in each room "fee" from cable companies is also in addition to the base-subscription cost
post #37 of 52 Old 01-15-2014, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I do it with an HTPC using Windows Media Center and an HDHomeRun with 3-tuners as the video source for our main TV (and as a DVR) and XBox360s as extenders for the other TVs. The number of tuners you have limits the number of simultaneous channels for watching and/or recording. You can watch any combination of recorded shows simultaneously, although at some point, I think you would run into a limitation of the CPU chip on how many video streams can be streamed simultaneously.
post #38 of 52 Old 01-15-2014, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
I went with a HTPC because I'm an old geek who loves to tinker and insists on complete control over everything. Slightly less important, it was the only way I could provide a consistent DVR and local media setup in every room with centralized file storage. Less important still, it's my small part in helping the economy by keeping people employed at Newegg.

post #39 of 52 Old 01-16-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post

I do it with an HTPC using Windows Media Center and an HDHomeRun with 3-tuners as the video source for our main TV (and as a DVR) and XBox360s as extenders for the other TVs. The number of tuners you have limits the number of simultaneous channels for watching and/or recording. You can watch any combination of recorded shows simultaneously, although at some point, I think you would run into a limitation of the CPU chip on how many video streams can be streamed simultaneously.

Problem solved: Hexa-core CPU, 8 GB RAM, 28 TB storage.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #40 of 52 Old 01-16-2014, 11:41 AM

Liked: 147
Quote:

Only 8GB RAM? Pfft....that is SOOOO 2013!!!

biggrin.gif
post #41 of 52 Old 01-16-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Only 8GB RAM? Pfft....that is SOOOO 2013!!!

biggrin.gif

Agreed! running 2x hex-core cpus 32gb of ram with 30tb of storage! (srs)
post #42 of 52 Old 01-16-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Only 8GB RAM? Pfft....

Ahh Windows. How little it does with so many resources cool.gif
post #43 of 52 Old 01-16-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraslor View Post

Agreed! running 2x hex-core cpus 32gb of ram with 30tb of storage! (srs)

Motherboard limitation for the original motherboard from 2008 or so based on AMD785 AM2/AM3. It is maxed out as per spec

I ain't fixin what ain't broken...

post #44 of 52 Old 01-16-2014, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Why HTPC? A fair question especially if you have other common devices like a Cable box w/DVR, Oppo BD player w/streaming service (and even a ROKU stick), etc. Even with a HTPC I want the Oppo for SACD/DVD-A and video disc playback. I also want the Cable Box and DVR so I stopped using my Media PC for years except as an audio jukebox.

My new HTPC does not provide better picture than my new HTPC (seems same)...perhaps the HTPC has more control over the picture.

One unique feature of a HTPC is that you can rip a movie for viewing later and then not have to keep the disc handy. This might be a bigger reason for many.

Audio is the KILLER APP for me. There is no replacement for my audio PC since I like to listen to music playlists vs. entire albums all the time.

for Video I do like having a short list of movies to watch in my HTPC. I can sit down, browse the cool library of backdrops and movie data, select a movie and hit play...

The SW setup and configuring a cool media browsing front end setup is the hobby/fun part for me.
post #45 of 52 Old 01-16-2014, 08:29 PM

Liked: 10

I liked it for a DVR until Comcast decided to be CRAZY lame... but more on that in a different thread.  

I like having an HTPC for quick, organized access to my movie collection (600 and growing).  Not to mention music and everything else is quickly accessible.  

Its a chore to get setup but there are literally hundreds of tutorials available and just find one you like and follow it.  You'll be up and running within a couple of hours.  

post #46 of 52 Old 01-17-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by spent View Post

Why does one go with a HTPC? I'm interested but not sure of the benefits. Thanks for any input!

Owning a HTPC will create world peace, also feed the hungry, and add 15 years onto your life; building and owning a quad core CPU HTPC with a speedy SSD will also cure cancer and add 25% more size to your male reproductive organ.

If that's not enough another reason might be they are really cool and therefore they will make you really cool too biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #47 of 52 Old 01-17-2014, 02:02 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Owning a HTPC will create world peace, also feed the hungry, and add 15 years onto your life; building and owning a quad core CPU HTPC with a speedy SSD will also cure cancer and add 25% more size to your male reproductive organ.

If that's not enough another reason might be they are really cool and therefore they will make you really cool too biggrin.gif

all of those things are true... I promise.

I do it because I'm not an organized person... at all and my DVD collection was often out of order in a pile on various bookshelves.  And to top it off my wife and I regularly managed to put the disc in the wrong case.  Certainly spending the money on 2 HTPCs and a NAS (soon to be a server) is probably excessive but whatever it takes to get yourself organized!  

post #48 of 52 Old 01-17-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Miller View Post

And to top it off my wife and I regularly managed to put the disc in the wrong case

I didn't realize I've overlooked how big of a convenience it is that this no longer happens anymore

No matter how much I spend on my HTPCs, it can't compare to what the psych costs would have been after the episode I would have surely had looking through the dvd and bluray cases one day. Now they just get boxed up in closet storage smile.gif
post #49 of 52 Old 01-18-2014, 09:42 AM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

This has been scientifically proven, too. smile.gif
post #50 of 52 Old 01-18-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:

This has been scientifically proven, too. smile.gif

There is tons of evidence online. It's the internet, everything is true on the internet. biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #51 of 52 Old 01-19-2014, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by spent View Post

Why does one go with a HTPC? I'm interested but not sure of the benefits. Thanks for any input!

Upgrades!
post #52 of 52 Old 01-19-2014, 06:32 AM

Liked: 12
I use an HTPC as I like to store a massive amount of recorded tv programing, and I like NOT paying the monthly fees. Plus being able to record up to 6 shows at once is a plus. If I wanted to do that through my cable provider my monthly bill would increase by $33.50. Plus I'm transferring all my movies, 400+, to the HTPC, which will allow me to box all those away so it will free up a lot of the clutter. Plus I have Xbox 360s in each room under each tv (the only box under most tvs) so I can stream/watch anywhere. Once I get all my movies transferred I'll be able to get rid of any extra blu-players I might have (put them in storage) and clear up even more clutter as I will be able to fully stream all those over my network.
Mfusick likes this.

Case - Silverstone Grandia Series SST-GD05
Mobo - AsRock H77 Pro4-M Micro ATX
CPU - I3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHZ
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 X4)
SSD - Intel 520 Series Cherryville 120GB
HDD - 11TB WD
Cbl Tnr - Ceton Infinitv6
Optical - ASUS Black Blu-Ray/DVD
PSU - Antec BP350W
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page