What AV Receiver is everyone using for their HTPC? What hasn't worked? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 70 Old 01-26-2014, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I eventually the got an hdmi detective for my setup (Intel hd4000 > Yamaha RX-671 > Samsung PN64D8000 plasma) Even though I could get sound or picture with the avr off, if I turned the avr on and no sound was playing at the time, then I would not be able any sound until toggled inputs. Also had a lot of issues with blank screens and sound, etc. Now I have none of those problems with with the hdmi detective. Changing inputs used to take 5+ seconds before I'd see a picture, now it's less than 2 seconds. Well worth the $85 pric the for the detective. I think every HTPC needs one of these.
Mfusick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 Old 01-26-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott750 View Post

I eventually the got an hdmi detective for my setup (Intel hd4000 > Yamaha RX-671 > Samsung PN64D8000 plasma) Even though I could get sound or picture with the avr off, if I turned the avr on and no sound was playing at the time, then I would not be able any sound until toggled inputs. Also had a lot of issues with blank screens and sound, etc. Now I have none of those problems with with the hdmi detective. Changing inputs used to take 5+ seconds before I'd see a picture, now it's less than 2 seconds. Well worth the $85 pric the for the detective. I think every HTPC needs one of these.

Yup this is what I was asking. I found it worked well with my Onkyo, but the Denon seems to handle it much better than the Onkyo did.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #63 of 70 Old 01-26-2014, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
I have the Onkyo SR507 in which I have had for about 5 years. Has worked well for me and haven't had any issues with it and decodes my audio just fine. Had thought about upgrading but what I have works well for the time being, so no need to really buy another AVR anytime soon.
post #64 of 70 Old 01-26-2014, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My Yamaha RX-A2000 has been pretty good once I figured out all the settings.

I have two HDMI outputs, one to my 720P TV, the other to my 1080P projector.

I'm not sure how, but I've somehow managed to get the HTPC to output the correct resolution depending on which output is selected on the receiver.

When using the TV, I have the receiver set to pass audio to the TV (not using speakers connected to the receiver).

When using the projector, the receiver does all the audio processing and amplification.

Only a couple of issues with this setup - obviously the TV doesn't have all the audio codecs installed, so some of the movies played via the HTPC have no sound if I've only saved them with the HD audio tracks.

Also, my PS3 refuses to auto-handshake with the correct resolution, so I only use it with the projector.
post #65 of 70 Old 01-26-2014, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm using the Pioneer SC-1522-k. It has great power and i like the second HDMI output. Besides my projector, i have a 50' hdmi run going to a 24" vizio in the kitchen so i can prepare some snacks or just have another tv going for football games etc. I haven't built my dedicated htpc yet, but it works fine with an older core2duo gateway over dvi and my asus i7/nvidia laptop just fine.
I also experienced handshaking issues when i had an onkyo and then the hdmi board went bad twice.

Also have a pioneer 1020k which works good with the laptop.

My Theater build
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21268949
xbox360 gamertag: MASTERpTWINKIE
PS3: zaczimer
post #66 of 70 Old 01-27-2014, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I bought my Pioneer VSX-32 roughly four years ago and it is still going as strong as ever...

I remember doing a firmware upgrade at a point in time (just for the sake of keeping latest firmware) but I never had a single issue with it...

The VSX-32 was a replacement for the VSX-1018AH which is now in the bedroom...

Both have been great AVRs...
post #67 of 70 Old 01-27-2014, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sony STR-DG920. The PC card is Radeon 4600. I actually got a better PC that I need to configure and set up as replacement, but can't find the time. The Sony sounds darn well, setup is simple enough. What really made me like it is it would upconvert every kind of input to 1080p via HDMI. Back then we still used a bunch of composite and component sources. These days it's all HDMI. I don't care about 3D or 4K - at least for now.

The PC was not too happy. When AVR was shut off or switched to another source, PC would freak out, forget everything about its HDMI connection, and not remember about it again without a reboot. Gefen HDMI Detective Plus made everything peachy.
post #68 of 70 Old 01-27-2014, 09:14 AM

Liked: 12
I'm using a Pioneer VSX-1020K Receiver purchased in 2010. It is connected to a Dell Zino HD with an AMD 4200 Graphics Card (onboard not discreet). HTPC stays on 24/7, no power management needed. I use a Harmony Remote to control both the Zino and Pioneer Receiver.

I also have an Xbox 360 and Sony Blu Ray Player attached. The Sony Blu Ray player is the only device in which Passthrough Works, thus not needing to have the receiver on while the viewing content through this device.
post #69 of 70 Old 01-27-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Upstairs it's a denon 3806. Great sound but no advanced audio decoding like. Dts HD MA downstairs an onkyo 975. First unit had hdmi death. Dealer replaced it.

The denon x4000 is on my watch list.

All of the above break the price barrier.

All in all I will go denon.
post #70 of 70 Old 01-28-2014, 03:08 PM

Liked: 10

Using my home grown HTPC that has an AMD A6-5400K APU. Graphics are great & it runs really cool in a completely enclosed entertainment center. It has a really small case with only one 80mm cooling fan in the case.

It is hooked up thru the onboard HDMI output on the MSI mobo to my Yamaha RX-V673. Everything works fine so far.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 991

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page