What AV Receiver is everyone using for their HTPC? What hasn't worked? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Just curious what everyone is using for their HTPC. I am currently trying to find one for a friend in the ~$500 range but it got me thinking what everyone else is using.

My experience from a HTPC perspective...

Denon 3806: Great recevier, served me well. HDMI went out in early 2013 and then left channel went out in late 2013.
Onkyo 818: Currently in use. Great receiver as well so far although I haven't tested everything on it. Some intermittent issues with handshaking especially if I don't let the projector fire up and wake up the HTPC before turning it on.

What are you using? What have you used?

And as an aside do you have any recommendations in the ~$500 range?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I've got a Yamaha RX-A1010 and I love it. The RX-V475 is about $399 and if you can stretch the budget a little bit the RX-V675 is a big jump in performance and features for $599. Both of them can be networked and controlled by web interface as well as iphone, android.

post #3 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have an Onkyo 515 which I picked up new for £179 (Bargain!!). Its a good unit, and works very well.

Doing it again, I'd buy a Yamaha v673, because it has full 7 band parametric EQ on the speaker outputs. In fact, it seems like the Yamaha's are the only units that have this at the entry/mid level price point. Very valuable indeed.

post #4 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Mine's a bit out of the price range you're looking for. I have an Onkyo Pro PR-SC885 preamp/processor. I've had it for several years now and paid well over $1000 for it. Works great with HTPCs. I do have a slight issue sometimes when I skip past commercials in recorded TV shows. The video will blank for about 10-15 seconds and then recover. I don't know if this is an EDID-related issue, but I'll soon find out. I just picked up a used HDMI Detective Plus on ebay so I'm curious to see if this fixes the problem. It seems to occur whenever I get to a commercial that's in SD and not HD.
post #5 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Pioneer Elite VSX-21txh. Purchased off audiogon new in 2009, still kicking and works great. Paid under $500. Though I am hoping to upgrade this year. Looked at going separates in the next setup, but might stick with Pioneer. They have really good features:price ratios, even the none elite version. Thing I always look at is speaker power output.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #6 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
I've had all the big names in the past, and have settled on Yamaha for their superior sound, imho.
post #7 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Mine's a bit over your price range as well. Currently using a Denon 4311ci.

Was using a Fosgate FAP T1+ for the longest time before this.
Mfusick likes this.
post #8 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 244
First HTPC that was connected to an AVR was running through an old Technics receiver. Model escapes me at the moment. (composite video, analog stereo audio)

Eventually upgraded to a Denon AVR 3300 and was running everything through Component Video and SPDIF for audio. Loved it but it lacked HDMI

Downgraded to a cheap Denon AVR 1513 which was adequate and supported HDMI.

Currently using a Marantz NR 1603 that I love. For starters it is an almost perfect match to my Moncaso 320B HTPC case. It has boatloads of inputs including front panel HDMI. It's got a good scaler if you need upconversion. It has about every type of input imaginable. It sounds good, and I've had almost no trouble with it.

The only issue I had was getting my HTPC to work with it. In WMC on DRMed channels, I would get a (not the) blue screen with an HDCP error. I tinkered with every setting imaginable. Tried a few different firmware revisions, and finally, I tried switching the HDMI cable to a different input, and Bingo! Worked like a charm. Since then it's been smooth sailing. The newer revision NR 1604 (which seems to have nearly identical specs) goes for about $650 but the 1603 is on Amazon for $500. The 1504 is the cheaper version if you're looking to save some $$$. It's only 5.1 instead of 7.1 and has fewer inputs.

If I had a signature, this is where it would be.
post #9 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Sony STR DA-2400ES. Decodes all HD audio, but is only HDMI 1.3. I considered replacing it for 3D passthrough, but I need multi-channel inputs for HD FLAC audio, and it seems that muti-inputs have been dropped by most manufacturers on all but the most expensive amps now. Haven't got a clue why, and it doesn't make much sense. Who needs '6' HDMI inputs instead! Really!!

Found another way now to get 3D from by BD player, so it will stay for the time-being.
post #10 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Onkyo TX-SR606 for a while. HDMI board went flakey early this year. There seems to be a decent repair thread on it at highdefforum, but I've just assigned it to dust-collection duty instead. HDMI switching was never fast. HDMI-CEC worked though smile.gif along with Samsung's 61A750 DLP, I had them power-sync'd so they powered on/off together. Never had much issue with that, and never really switched inputs that often

I'm in a holding pattern to replace it

Haven't seen much discussion and hope it's not a lemon for HTPC, but I purchased the Yamaha RX-V773 from newegg for someone else recently. It hasn't arrived yet, so I've not discovered any of it's maybe quirks. I should be able to update in a couple weeks with results. I don't really expect any problems. HTPC always on, AVR always on, UPS, harmony rf remote with hub . . . does it get any simpler?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115377

I thought this was a good enough price, and I really didn't have time to ask around. The shortlist of reasoning for me was
  • dual hdmi out
  • network capable, airplay receiver, and decent smartphone apps
  • 4k passthrough and upscaling (upscaling may not be great, I feel like this feature is a crapshoot right now)
  • HDMI front panel input
  • Input selector in HDMI standby-through mode
  • Not heard of an issue with their CEC. I'll test this to see how it works before choosing Yamaha myself as it's an important feature for me
post #11 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 172
My main HTPC is hooked up to a Harman Kardon AVR 254. I think it has pretty severe handshake issues as it drops audio when I pause and the HTPC needs to be rebooted. My solution is to just stop instead of pause. That and it's utterly painful firmware update process that requires a Windows XP 32bit machine and a serial cable and/or adapter. In other words... I couldn't suggest a Harman Kardon for ease of use biggrin.gif
post #12 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have an Onkyo TX-SR805 in my main system that I've had since 2007 and no issues, though mine was an early build and made in Japan (if that means anything). I'm using a Netgear NeoTV550 connected to the HTPC via ethernet for uncompressed Blu-ray rips and bit-perfect and gapless FLAC (including multi-channel hi-res FLAC). The HTPC is in my bedroom connected to a Yamaha RX-V573. The Onkyo sounds a lot better but in fairness MSRP'ed for twice as much. The Onkyo weighs 51 lbs, the Yamaha a mere 18 lbs. The Yamaha does sound good but just doesn't have enough umph for reference level listening (though I never intend to use it anywhere but in the bedroom).
post #13 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 02:26 PM

Liked: 18
I have a Onkyo TX-SR604 that's served me well, but the HT (still in progress) is getting whatever AVR has Audyssey MultEQ XT32. Unfortunately, it's out of the OP price range. Of course there's always the used market or keep an eye out for a manufacturer sale on refurb units.
post #14 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
TX NR 818 here, as well...although it is replacing a defunct 807 that was never right from day one. (developed the HDMI board failure, right at the two year mark...go figure.) The 818 has unbelievable sound with XT32, as you can attest, but you would be had pressed to find it at 5 bills for your buddy. (maybe a refurb). That said, I am awaiting IT's failure...I have no faith in their product, or their abysmal customer service...(there's already talk in the 818 forum of HDMI failure...Onkyo should be out of business for the atrocities they have wrought on the CE buying public.) And will either go with Yamaha or HK for it's replacement.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #15 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 649
I have a Denon AVR3312 IC. My dad has a Denon AVR3313.

Had an Onkyo before that-- Onkyo can suck my balls tongue.gif Pure crap. Nothing but HDMI sync issues, and eventually the HDMI port just burned out completely. (seriously)

It was still under warranty but I was so tired of it I replaced it with a Denon and did not even bother spending the $45 shipping to get it repaired. It's in my garage now and powers the outdoor speakers and garage speakers in stereo. I don't need video switching for this application.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #16 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Holy crap. I entered this thread and posted and never read any replies. The fact my Onkyo HDMI burned out and then right above I see this post :
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

TX NR 818 here, as well...although it is replacing a defunct 807 that was never right from day one. (developed the HDMI board failure, right at the two year mark...go figure.) The 818 has unbelievable sound with XT32, as you can attest, but you would be had pressed to find it at 5 bills for your buddy. (maybe a refurb). That said, I am awaiting IT's failure...I have no faith in their product, or their abysmal customer service...(there's already talk in the 818 forum of HDMI failure...Onkyo should be out of business for the atrocities they have wrought on the CE buying public.) And will either go with Yamaha or HK for it's replacement.

So Funny.

On a side note... I also have an older HK AVR525 (component and S video only) and it's by far the best sounding AVR I have owned. It's better sounding than the two 800 level Onkyo's, or the AVR3312 Denon. Something awesome about how an HK sounds... too bad the features and value are not up to that level these days. I think I paid $575 for it back when I worked for Circuit City as a college student, and it originally sold for $999. A decade later it can hold it's own on sound quality easily.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #17 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 02:56 PM

Liked: 18
The HDMI issues with the Onkyo 818 in particular might be why the prices have fallen considerably. IIRC when they first came out they were pushing 1K, now you can get them for $600-700.

For me I'm leaning towards the Denon AVR-X4000, but the X1000 may be what the OP is looking for?
post #18 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Onkyo TX-SR606 for a while. HDMI board went flakey early this year. There seems to be a decent repair thread on it at highdefforum, but I've just assigned it to dust-collection duty instead.

Hey thanks for the repair link. I might give that a try on mine.

-

post #19 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec4 View Post

The HDMI issues with the Onkyo 818 in particular might be why the prices have fallen considerably. IIRC when they first came out they were pushing 1K, now you can get them for $600-700.

No doubt. They are nearly guaranteed to break with heavy HTPC use or something that requires constant switching or video sync. I'd take a bet it wouldn't last 2 years in my house based on my and others experiences. Craigs list is full of these broken, might be a decent way to score a cheap AVR. Buy a busted one and fix it.

-

post #20 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Denon 1612. works as it should. paired with a 7790, i do have the problem of output dropping back down to stereo when changing inputs. working through EDID override now and it should work.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #21 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 04:12 PM

Liked: 72
Marantz NR1402. My first AVR so I can't really compare it to anything else based on experience but I've been very happy with it. At the time I bought it I needed something slim line to fit in my entertainment console, plus I was upgrading from a Marantz stereo receiver and had always liked the sound quality of that. My only hesitation at the time was that it was only 50w per channel but as it turned out that was more than enough power for my usage. Audessy setup was a snap, sound is good and I've never had any problems with it. Current version NR1403 is $399 on Amazon.
post #22 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 04:25 PM

Liked: 17
Pioneer SC-1222-K (Class D3 amp, stays very cool!), picked it up at NE when they had a 1 or 2 day sale at a very low price.

No problems, everything works perfectly although, Pioneer remotes suck! Just finishing up my HT server and will be going to Roomie Remote.
post #23 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I had an Onkyo TX-SR504 for several years & never had a problem. It did not have HDMI so it never had an HDMI problem. I recently bought an Onkyo TX-NR525 because I needed a larger audio delay time. I was aware of the HDMI problems that Onkyo had but I did not see anything about this problem on the new models. I realize being a new model there hasn't been sufficient time for HDMI problems to crop up. I was willing to take a chance hoping that Onkyo has fixed their HDMI problem & also that I got a good price on the unit.

So far it works well & has plenty of inputs. And I've never had any HDMI hand shaking issues no matter which order the A/V components are turned on.
post #24 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 05:02 PM

Liked: 27
Denon 2113ci, I've only had it hooked up to htpc for 2 days but it works flawlessly, so far. I've had the receiver for over a year and no issues.
Funny, I was going to upgrade to the Denon X4000 for the dual sub eq and put the 2113 in my bedroom. That was, until I decided to spend the money building the htpc. biggrin.gif

Panasonic TC-P65VT50
Denon 2113ci
Panasonic DMP-BDT220P
Ascend CMT-340SE L/R
Ascend CMT-340SE Center
Ascend CBM-170SE Surrounds
Klipsch RW12-D x 2
post #25 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 05:13 PM

Liked: 10
suffered thru Onkyo TX-SR606, moved on to Yamaha rxv-671 couldn't be any more pleased.
post #26 of 70 Old 01-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I am using a Marantz SR6008. No HDMI handshake problems whatsoever.
post #27 of 70 Old 01-14-2014, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 72
An Anthem MRX300 - wonderful sound - no issues - unlike my previous Onkyo 805 (constant handshake problems).
post #28 of 70 Old 01-14-2014, 12:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I initially had my htpc hooked up to an Onkyo 805. I moved on to a Pioneer Elite SC-35 for my theater room. In my living room my other htpc is hooked up to a Denon 790. I have not had any issues with any of these receivers.
post #29 of 70 Old 01-14-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have been pleased with the Pioneer Elite VSX 31 which I have had for more than a year. Like others, I would also recommend checking out Pioneer Elite models to see which one has what you need. Mine was the very least expensive model with fewer features and has been excellent for me. I got it at a reduced price from Costco.
post #30 of 70 Old 01-14-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 158
4311Ci Denon has been SOLID for years in every aspect, and now it plays very nicely with my HTPC, no drop out handshake hdmi issues as all. I think I'm going pass my 3rd year with it, I have to check exactly how long I've owned it. Have had little curiosity to upgrade which used to be every 6 month, a true sickness lol.

Djoel
Mfusick likes this.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 991

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page