Can the Ceton Echo work with live TV without WMC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-13-2014, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I apologize if this has been discussed, but the Ceton thread is absolutely huge and now closed. A quick search didn't give many any results.

My question is hopefully simple. Can a Ceton Echo play live TV while the WMC machine is sleeping? I have networked tuners (HD HomeRun and HD HomeRun Prime), instead of the PCIe variety ... so they are always on.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-13-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Short answer is no.

Long answer is, maybe if someone figure out how to jailbreak an Echo and install XBMC or some other front end that runs on ARM and supports CC Tuners, and even then you won't get encrypted channels. So the long answer is pretty much no also.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-13-2014, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ah, thanks for the answer. Kind of figured that would be the case. I have half a mind to just build some small HTPC's as clients, but in my limited research there doesn't seem to be a clean way to get a client/server model going with WMC for recording. I want a dedicated PC for the recording. I guess I need to figure out a way to do remote scheduling if I go down that path. But even then, I think I'll be hosed on Copy Once content since it's locked to the particular PC?

I had initially thought to go with OTA only, so a non-WMC solution would work well. But as it turns out, the price for a basic or even moderate cable/fiber TV sub ends up only being say $15 more per month than doing good broadband alone. So when I factor dropping Hulu ... it's only like $7-8 more to get TV.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-13-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 370
My HTPC stays on all the time, but my understanding is that others have gotten Wake-On-LAN to work with Extenders to wake up the PC when the Extender is powered on.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-13-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post

My HTPC stays on all the time, but my understanding is that others have gotten Wake-On-LAN to work with Extenders to wake up the PC when the Extender is powered on.
Yes, Wake-On-LAN works out of the box. You don't have to do anything really. So while TV won't work if the HTPC is sleeping, the Echo will wake it as need, so I'm not seeing a problem here.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Ceton Echo Windows Media Center Extender Watch Live Recorded Tv Hdtv Access Personal Media Libraries

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page