So what does Kaveri bring to the table for HTPC? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 01-17-2014, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I started this thread for advice on what to choose, and I don't care about 4k. So can we move on please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 01-17-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I'd still rather choose a better Intel CPU and add a dedicated video card (which I can also add later and add HDMI 2.0 and 4k and 3D and all that even better than Kaveri) for a high end or midrange build.

Normally I would probably do that, but if an Kaveri or Haswell do what I need, I don't see a reason to spend the extra money. Plus I'm eyeing a low profile case, and as I mentioned, only want a single cpu fan. That considerably cuts the options in videocards. So the question (again) is whether Kaveri or Richland or Haswell can run madvr as used by J River Red October, and what advantages one brand might have in colorspace support, HDMI handshake issues, that sort of thing. This won't be a productivity machine so encode speed or how fast it can open a zip file don't really mean anything to me.
post #33 of 45 Old 01-17-2014, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Personally, I am leaning towards the A8-7600 (which is due out soon) because the TDP can be cut to 45W and still perform nicely. SA LINK
As I will also use it as a home server and, thus, be running it 24/7, that should save me $40/year in power costs and cut down the heat inside the box.
Just my 2 cents.smile.gif
post #34 of 45 Old 01-17-2014, 01:14 PM

Liked: 10
I have moved from an i5 3570K & GTX 650 Ti setup to a A10 7850K Kaveri with a view to downsizing the form factor from micro to mini itx. I use madvr & am happy with the results so far. I am running madvr level 4 which was the same as i did with the intel setup no problems. My setup:

AMD A10 7850K Kaveri (stock cooler)
2 x 8GB Patriot Viper 3 Low profile DDR3 2133
120GB Intel SSD

Currently in a Silverstone GD05 with 500W Strider Modular PSU

Looking at the Silverstone ML06 & SFX PSU

There is an option in the BIOS of my Asrock FM2A88X-ITX to reduce the tdp on the 7850K to 65 & 45W TDP too. I currently have it set on 65W TDP & its fine
post #35 of 45 Old 01-17-2014, 03:39 PM

Liked: 20
@cybrsage.

It's been a long time waiting for you to take back things about false information of AMD HW capabilities and personal insults to me, so I have to answer to you about the false information you wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

...and apparently I also need to research your claims to find what the truth is, since you post wrong information and claim it to be true.

Did you finish your research ?
Am I posting wrong information ?
Quote:

You are quite wrong about AMD not supporting 4k and accelerating other things (Kaveri has a 7000 series GPU in it):

◾Cutting-edge integrated display support ◦DisplayPort 1.2 •Max resolution: 4096x2160 @ 60 Hz per display
•Multi-Stream
•21.6 Gbps bandwidth (HBR2)
•High bit-rate audio
•Quad HD/4K/UHDTV display support
•1080p60 Stereoscopic 3D (Frame Sequential Format)

So, the Canadian company does produce cards with DisplayPort v1.2 and 4K@60fps display after all.

And what about the excuses you told me regarding DisplayPort ?

And what about the US sales ?

Quote:

According to TheGuru3D:

A new videocodec: h265/hevc

Initially we heard that this will be software support rendered over the shader engine only.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_a8_7600_apu_review,3.html

What is it that you don't understand ?

There will be only software support of H.265

Quote:

Seems you need to search harder for things to whine about wrt AMD. I made the mistake of believing you the first time, now I realize I have to research all your claims to find the actual truth.

It seems that you don't know a lot about video decoding and you better study my Excel in order to start understand things about it.

Also it would be better for you to believe me because I'm involved in video decoding more than you can imagine.
Quote:

AMD and hardware review sites disagree with you. I have Guru3D saying the opposite of you and they support their claim by actually testing the hardware and posting the results. You claim everyone but you is wrong and then fail to support your claim. Sorry, but Guru3D and their testing is far more believable than KidosD and no testing.

Guru3D said that there is no 4K H.264 HW acceleration.

Who is the kiddo ?

BTW, there are better reviews for HTPC than Guru3D.
They are not specialized in video HW and HTPC.
Quote:

My posts were simply to correct the false information presented whose only purpose was AMD bashing.

Your posts were completely wrong. Dead wrong.
Quote:

If Guru3D's claim of hardware decoding of H.265 is true, then it becomes a little more exciting

Guru3D never claimed of HW decoding of H.265 in Kaveri, because this is impossible for the UVD 4.2

Still waiting for an apology from you...

LG BD670 - Pioneer VSX-920 - SONY KDS-55A2000
Win 8.1 Pro x64 - Pentium G3420 - iGPU - v.3621
DXVA Benchmarks
post #36 of 45 Old 01-17-2014, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

NikosD I've never reported anyone to a mod in my life, but I've asked for this 4k debate to stop and you won't, so I have no choice. If you want to debate topics that I have no interest in, in my own thread please start your own thread.
post #37 of 45 Old 01-17-2014, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Please stick to the OP's original questions.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #38 of 45 Old 01-17-2014, 05:47 PM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post

NikosD I've never reported anyone to a mod in my life, but I've asked for this 4k debate to stop and you won't, so I have no choice. If you want to debate topics that I have no interest in, in my own thread please start your own thread.

He just cannot stand being wrong....makes him doubt whether he has any purpose in life, so he avoids accepting it like the plague.

As for Kaveri, it appears the extra strength in the GPU helps with madvr, so if you are going to use it then I would say go Kaveri. If you are like me and do not, then you might as well save the money and get the A10-6700 Richland. I have that APU and can vouch that it does everything I want it to do. My mobo has the ability to reduce the number of voltage chips it uses (VPUs) and automatically downclocks it when not needed. Unlike the old days of downclocking, there is no penalty when upclocking is needed. It barely uses any power.

I went with the APU because, like you, I saw no need to add extra heat and power usage to my HTPC. The one chip does everything I want and need.
post #39 of 45 Old 01-17-2014, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Over at the J River forum I was informed that even if I do not want to upscale anything, Chroma upscaling still needs to happen. Not sure how much horsepower that takes.
post #40 of 45 Old 01-17-2014, 11:15 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Reporting to a mod someone who is trying to defend himself from insults and the truth from ignorance, it's always a good thing in Medieval times.
You asked in the title "So what does Kaveri bring to the table for HTPC?"

To reply to this answer you don't need a thread, because the answer is so simple.
NOTHING.

Quote:

He just cannot stand being wrong....makes him doubt whether he has any purpose in life, so he avoids accepting it like the plague.

I'm sure you wrote this post looking at the mirror.
It's probably the best description of yourself.

I'm out of this thread.

LG BD670 - Pioneer VSX-920 - SONY KDS-55A2000
Win 8.1 Pro x64 - Pentium G3420 - iGPU - v.3621
DXVA Benchmarks
post #41 of 45 Old 01-18-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikosD View Post

You asked in the title "So what does Kaveri bring to the table for HTPC?"

To reply to this answer you don't need a thread, because the answer is so simple.
NOTHING.

Untrue, it brings quite a bit of extra GPU power and shaders, which can both be important based on a person's needs. For me, I do not need them. For him possibly, which is why he asked the question.
Quote:
I'm out of this thread.

Bye.
post #42 of 45 Old 01-18-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Over at the J River forum I was informed that even if I do not want to upscale anything, Chroma upscaling still needs to happen. Not sure how much horsepower that takes.

There is only about $40 difference between the top Richland APU and the top Kaveri APU. With that in mind, if I were building from scratch, I would definitely do the Kaveri APU instead. Newegg does not have any of the 65W Kaveri's listed, so you should probably wait on them...or find another source. For that small difference in price, it makes sense to go Kaveri.
post #43 of 45 Old 02-06-2014, 03:24 AM

Any madvr benchmarks available for Kaveri yet?
post #44 of 45 Old 07-15-2014, 11:27 AM

If you look at the madvr benchmarks for the HD 5200 here http://www.missingremote.com/review/...-4770r-mini-pc, and realize that based on gflop/3dmark performance that Kaveri (A8-7600) falls about 3/4 of the way between the HD 4600 and the HD 5200, you probably can estimate your madvr performance.

Personally, i've been considering both the a8-7600 and the i7-4770t for a new fanless htpc (trying to stay at 45W).
Not really a madvr guy, but in price vs. performance the A8 is about 1/2 the price of the i7 cpu ($150 vs $300) and faster.

-Tony
post #45 of 45 Old 07-15-2014, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Problem is that the AMD A8-7600, having been announced in January, is STILL not available for purchase.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page