Blank Screen Before Video Playback - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey everyone,

I'm kind of going crazy with this issue (and I don't even know how big of an issue it really is) and feel like I've tried everything to no avail. First, here's the specs for my setup in order of the signal path:

HTPC - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (Aero enabled) with Intel 4670K Processor, NVidia GTX 770 Graphics card, 16 GB RAM, Samsung Evo 840 SSD
Denon AVR-2113ci Receiver
Darbee Darblet signal processor
Epson 5020ub Projector

Installed on the HTPC is XBMC Frodo with up to date video drivers etc. I'm using it in full screen mode. Now for the issue that's really bugging me... When XBMC (or even VLC for that matter) starts video playback with hardware rendering, the screen flashes blank for about 3-4 seconds before the video appears on the screen. The sound plays during that time, but nothing shows up on the screen. If I disable hardware rendering, and force XBMC to use software, the video plays immediately. Another setting that I've seen do this, is if XBMC is set to change refresh rate to match video. Like I said, I've seen the same issue when I'm not in XBMC and open a video in VLC. The entire screen will blank for a few seconds, and then the windowed VLC will re-appear with the video playing. When the video stops playing, there is another 3-4 second blank screen before the menu re-appears.

This wouldn't bother me as much if it wasn't for the fact that it causes my introduction videos (using the Cinema Experience pluggin) to miss the first whole chunk of the video. In short videos, 3 seconds is a lot to miss. I just went to Windows from Linux and never had this issue with XBMC on Ubuntu using my old ATI video card with hardware rendering. This leads me to believe it's something on the computer and not just the fact that the projector takes a while to adjust to the new refresh rate.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to resolve this. I realize that I could just leave DXVA rendering off and use the processor to render video at the native 60 FPS but have heard that this causes issues with how smooth the video is. After spending a lot of time and money getting this set up, I'd hate to feel like I was sacrificing playback quality.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Dave

My theater build: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484121/my-led-backlit-zero-frame-project
Epson 5020ub /Denon AVR-2113ci / Darbee DVP5000/Definitive Tech SM 350 + Mythos 3 Center + 2 Klipsch RW-12D Subs / Custom 20TB Ubuntu Server + Win 7 HTPC/ Xbox 360 / OUYA / iRule Pro Controlled/120" Screen (16x9)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
Its probably the projector adjusting to different video signal information. Try it on a computer monitor or tv
post #3 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

Its probably the projector adjusting to different video signal information. Try it on a computer monitor or tv

The only reason I believe the projector isn't the actual problem is the fact that I didn't have this issue when there was another computer in this one's place running Linux with ATI drivers instead. I might hook the old system back up to check it out.

My theater build: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484121/my-led-backlit-zero-frame-project
Epson 5020ub /Denon AVR-2113ci / Darbee DVP5000/Definitive Tech SM 350 + Mythos 3 Center + 2 Klipsch RW-12D Subs / Custom 20TB Ubuntu Server + Win 7 HTPC/ Xbox 360 / OUYA / iRule Pro Controlled/120" Screen (16x9)
post #4 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

So after putting XBMC into debug mode, I don't think it's the projector. When playing a movie at 24 FPS the refresh rate is effectively changing but there is no blank screen unless DXVA2 is enabled. That leads me to believe it is a DXVA issue and not the projector.

post #5 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
This will happen when the video refresh rate is changing. You're probably set to 60 Hz for the desktop, but maybe XBMC and VLC are playing back 23.976 fps movies at 23/24 Hz that refresh rate. Perhaps in Linux you did not have an automatic refresh rate change implemented? My Epson 8350 does this too. I use JRiver Media Center and there is an option to delay the start of video playback up to 10 seconds when changing refresh rates. Does the trick nicely.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

If you have the same issue with an Epson projector then I don't feel like I'm going crazy at least. Thanks for the feedback! I know XBMC has a similar delay feature. I might try that if I'm going to use DXVA.

post #7 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
I mentioned the projector because I own a 50xx epson pj as well.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-17-2014, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Ok so it's definitely a projector thing then. Now I'm curious though... With DXVA off and XBMC set to sync video playback to display (using the audio clock) instead of syncing the refresh rate to the video, it looks fine. I don't notice any stutter, artifacts, or quality issues even when pulling full Bluray across my network.

Is there any qualitative reasoning behind changing my settings to DXVA/Changing the refresh rate and living with the 2-3 second delay or will the picture quality be identical with my current settings? Thanks to both of you projector owners for the feedback!

post #9 of 9 Old 01-17-2014, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have noticed this as well when I am playing videos on my projector with XBMC. I have a Benq W1070. It is changing the refresh rate. It really depends if you want to use the correct refresh rate. I normally use mpc-hc and use smooth motion to remove some of the judder and not have the screen go blank before playing videos.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page