Is it worth the money to rip blu-rays - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 67 Old 04-19-2014, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiffel View Post

+1, and with AnyDVD, there is no need to waste time watching trailers, etc.

For me, the hassle of ripping, tagging, administering a larger server and its backups over many years isn't worth the benefit of immediate access to my whole collection across the house. I do rip all my music (in FLAC), and the few DVDs or Blu Rays I refer to regularly (tests/demo, home movies, etc.).

Geez, you guys make it sound so difficult.  Pop the blu ray in, spend 2 minutes selecting which parts you want to keep and where to put it, rip it, and you're done.  I have MB3 as a backend that automatically handles all the metadata type things.  When I run out of space with my current setup (I will, it's just a matter of time), I'll grab a USB3 external raid enclosure for $150 and put some 4TB drives in a raid 5 and be done with it.

Backing up isn't hard either, every month (or whenever I've added a lot) I just plug in an external drive and double click a robocopy script.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 04-19-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylor View Post

Geez, you guys make it sound so difficult.  Pop the blu ray in, spend 2 minutes selecting which parts you want to keep and where to put it, rip it, and you're done. 
I've been thinking the same thing. I've now ripped >1200 movies to the server and most of them I did in the background when I was on the computer doing other things. Easy. I can see people not wanting to do it, but difficult it is not.
post #63 of 67 Old 04-21-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylor View Post

Geez, you guys make it sound so difficult.  Pop the blu ray in, spend 2 minutes selecting which parts you want to keep and where to put it, rip it, and you're done.  I have MB3 as a backend that automatically handles all the metadata type things.  When I run out of space with my current setup (I will, it's just a matter of time), I'll grab a USB3 external raid enclosure for $150 and put some 4TB drives in a raid 5 and be done with it.

Backing up isn't hard either, every month (or whenever I've added a lot) I just plug in an external drive and double click a robocopy script.
I'm literally almost out of room. I'm an idiot and only bought a 1tb drive. I don't really care to start building a NAS (don't like the idea of it running all the time) so I'll just grab maybe a 2tb maybe 3tb drive to add to HTPC. Any thought on how to RAID this additionally drive or would it be best just to assign it another physically drive letter?

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (Emby), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
post #64 of 67 Old 04-21-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post

I'm literally almost out of room. I'm an idiot and only bought a 1tb drive. I don't really care to start building a NAS (don't like the idea of it running all the time) so I'll just grab maybe a 2tb maybe 3tb drive to add to HTPC. Any thought on how to RAID this additionally drive or would it be best just to assign it another physically drive letter?

I generally don't assign drive letters. I just mount the drives as folders.
Mfusick likes this.
post #65 of 67 Old 04-21-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post

(don't like the idea of it running all the time)
My server doesn't run all the time. When not being actually used it's asleep.
post #66 of 67 Old 04-21-2014, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Do you have a family?

I like to watch movies on a big front projection screen in a converted bedroom. My wife likes to watch movies on a flat screen in the family room with the dog. The kids on their iPads or laptops in their rooms.

Same movie, on three devices, at three different times. I like subtitles and foreign film (I speak several languages) the rest of the family, "rock'em sock'ems". Nobody puts the disks back on the book shelves. Finding a movie can be a bit of an Easter egg hunt....

I love film and like to expose people to it. So while I may not re-screen a movie for myself I will do it for others.

So yes, I rip Blu Rays.
post #67 of 67 Old 04-21-2014, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I've recently began to rip my blu ray collection to my HTPC. I was having problems getting some Disney movies to play via powerdvd. After I figured out how to rip via DVDFab I was addicted. It is awesome to be able to not have to put the disc in the tray and then deal with previews for a minute. My friends and family think it's the coolest thing to see the collection and the neat interface all via media browser.

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (Emby), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page