Server build question - transcoding for tablet and smartphone clients - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-23-2014, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
When I initially thought about a DIY server build to store and serve my video library several years back, I had only considered it in terms of a PC for media storage which would be accessed by either a desktop or a laptop PC client over a wired or Wi-fi LAN network. In this case, the server should not need to transcode anything for the client.

But now with networked client devices shifting away from wired-network desktop PC forms and moving towards wireless, ultra-portable forms like smartphones and tablets, a server build now has to include on-the-fly transcoding of high-def video for these new clients, as these small-screen devices are generally nowhere near 1920x1080 or 1280x720 in native pixel resolution.

I have an older Asus motherboard (the M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 from 2010) paired with a AMD Athlon II x250 CPU that I was thinking of using to build the server, back when it was conceived as just being a server that would not do transcoding. I am now wondering how this hardware would fare in the transcoding department.

For those who have implemented a server built to distribute video to tablets or smartphones, how much CPU (or GPU) is required for transcoding? In my case, the content will mainly consist of HDTV recordings (1080i or 720p MPEG2 video with AC3 Dolby Digital audio) which are muxed with SRT subtitles into an MKV file.

If I were to use the Media Browser 3 Server app, does it manage the transcoding of a video file prior to delivering it to the smartphone/tablet client? And does transcoding on the server end require that other software tools, like ffdshow or avisynth, be running on the server as well?

Thanks in advance for helping me wrap my head around these more recent developments in server functionality. If there are any details I have left out that are needed for this discussion, please let me know. Thank you once again.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page