post #91 of 157 Old 02-18-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Sure you will... tell them the fan is too loud. smile.gif  That is why I originally contacted them and they agreed to swap it.

Not to keep hijacking this thread but I wanted to offer 1 final post re: my warranty replacement of the original version (Sandy Bridge) Celeron NUC just to close it out. Turns out the fan noise with the SA 002 wasn't any better than the 001 so I asked Intel to send me another replacement and make sure this one was a 004 or 005. They did (kit SA 005 w/board 004) and that finally cleared the problem up. Now I can navigate around XBMC forever and still barely notice the fan at all. Plus not only did Intel waive the charge to overnight ship the 2nd replacement, they refunded the $25 shipping charge for the first even though the first replacement they sent me did fix the only problem I mentioned (the missing internal USB header) when I contacted them for the warranty replacement initially.

So if there's anything worth knowing in all this for potential Bay Trail NUC customers (just to try to tie my experience back to the thread at hand), you can at least count on good support and some latitude from Intel if you need to request a warranty exchange down the road. From my experience anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 157 Old 02-24-2014, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23636

Intel 10.18.10.3408 Bay Trail drivers released.

Intel says it's only for the DN2820FYK and DN2820FYKH is not listed, hope this is a typo.

This might increase GPU performance slightly for the Bay Trail GPU as well as fix bugs.
post #93 of 157 Old 02-24-2014, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14

In case many of you still wondering (and i am very sorry in case it has already been answered), i can confirm that DN2820FYKH can play 3d blu ray iso and also that the issue with 23.976hz indeed seems to be fixed after many tests i have done.

Setup : Windows 8.1 pro, 4GB Crucial ram model CT51264BF160BJ, kingston V300 60GB ssd, YAMAHA v371 amp and LG55LW650S tv. Tested 3 days ago so i used the latest GPU drivers from 20/2

For 3d tried with PowerDVD and tested with a 3d blu ray iso (40GB with average 31mbps rate).

For 3d to work you need latest GPU drivers (...) and the "3D" option to be checked in resolution panel.

In settings (in every program including PowerDVD) the Intel QuickSync has to be enabled for hardware decoding (Same for LAV splitter in MPC and everywhere).

After that the mounted 3d iso played without ANY problems in 3D (without HD audio though.. i think thats still an issue on windows 8.1)

Tested also SBS to 3d on PowerDVD with obviously similar great results.

WinDVD never worked (always got the message "media not supported") although the "Use Hardware Decode Acceleration - Intel Clear Video" was checked.

Stereoscopic player worked but with odd picture dimentions and average 3d (i used there for output the "Intel Stereo Driver")

MadVR also worked (someone asked me in another Greek forum to test) both in the output and filter in MPC and when fullscreen the playback was spottless. When in windowed mode i had some stuttering though.

On openelec (dual boot system) had also no problems with any file and HD audio was working properly although a few times i experienced some throw back in the main menu during either a playback or navigation on menus (an X mark in black screen and then something like quick "restart" of openelec).

To test the issue with 23.976, i used in Openelec a video file from a Greek forum after i disabled the de-judder and de-blur on my tv and everything worked like a charm.

I dont want to give false hopes since i dont know what would happen with a very high bitrate iso file (the only one i had and used has an average rate of only 31mbps), but at least i can confirm that this NUC (yes... the bay trail) has most probably the issue with 23.976 fixed and can output 3d for sure. 

Ps. Please excuse my English.. :)

soulkeeper, Bjur and Dark_Slayer like this.
post #94 of 157 Old 02-25-2014, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Welcome to AvsForum. Outstanding first post. Congratulations.

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #95 of 157 Old 02-25-2014, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Great post, Stormdreamer. Very encouraging to hear the Bay Trail Celeron NUC can handle 3D playback since everything I've seen posted about previous versions is that you had to step up to i3 for that. (Still not sure I'm really interested in 3D myself but if I do decide to try it it's nice to know there's a lower cost option out there now.)
post #96 of 157 Old 02-27-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdreamer View Post

To test the issue with 23.976, i used in Openelec a video file from a Greek forum after i disabled the de-judder and de-blur on my tv and everything worked like a charm.

I dont want to give false hopes since i dont know what would happen with a very high bitrate iso file (the only one i had and used has an average rate of only 31mbps), but at least i can confirm that this NUC (yes... the bay trail) has most probably the issue with 23.976 fixed and can output 3d for sure.

Thanks for the info and nice post. Also, you've definitely given hope

Here are some test files that you can use to see what bitrate it can handle http://jell.yfish.us/

Can you share your XBMC Video setting choices from System->Video->Playback and from the OSD Video Options?
post #97 of 157 Old 02-27-2014, 09:31 AM

Liked: 10

I think at the very least I might get a quad core itx board when they come out, I was kind of waiting on info about the 23.xxx issue.

post #98 of 157 Old 02-27-2014, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I saw no changes with the new graphics drivers. They installed just fine on win 8.1.

Now that I have given up on real time decoding of sacd ISO files I am happier with the unit. Real time DVD audio decoding is also hit or miss. But it plays multi chapmen hi res flac files just finer.

A reinstall eliminated my vc-1 codec issues with mpc-hc.

Arcsoft TNT 6.5 audio is stereo only for me. Since mpc does the trick I have resigned myself to the knowledge that the arcsoft purchase was not a good use of funds.

I do like the idea that it may well play 3d files.

I think this unit is supposed to address the 23.9 issue. But I am not sophisticated enough to see the bug or measure it
post #99 of 157 Old 03-02-2014, 03:49 PM

Liked: 14

I just tried directly the file Jellyfish-120-Mbps.mkv in xbmc (windows not openelec) and i didnt notice anything strange in motion. Everything seemed smooth and ok to me.

In stats, i had 2 dropped frames in total and the cpu had an average of 30-35% load

I have to mention here that files are located at a NAS in the same switch with the NUC

post #100 of 157 Old 03-03-2014, 02:32 PM

My head is spinning after reading this whole thread.

I'm trying to find the cheapest route to replacing my awful Lenovo q180.

I just need something that plays nice with my HDHomerun Prime, can run WMC without freezing, stuttering, or otherwise crapping out, and play the occasional 1080p blue ray rip. Nothing too complicated, but clearly my q180 was not up to the task.

Can this NUC meet my needs?
post #101 of 157 Old 03-06-2014, 10:15 AM

Hy guys,

To be honest I`m very interested in buying one of these toys,but first I would like to ask you if the picture quality is comparable with a decent media player(by that I meant Dune media players).Mainly, I wil be using this for playing .mkv.Please,any opinion it`s more than welcome.

Thank you.

post #102 of 157 Old 03-06-2014, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have a Dune in the same rig where I have this NUC. The picture quality with vanilla MPC-HC looks the same to me.

Both are excellent.

But that is one person's opinion.
post #103 of 157 Old 03-07-2014, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

I have the earlier version Celeron NUC (Sandy Bridge) and although I've never owned a Dune or any other dedicated media player I can tell you that the picture and audio quality of watching any of my ripped movies or recorded HDTV shows through the NUC (running openelec) is no different from watching the bluray or DVD itself, or playing the recorded TV back through my tivo (including all HD audio on the bluray rips). Unless Dune offers some kind of processing/upscaling to make ripped media look better than its source material then it's hard for me to imagine how the Bay Trail NUC with better graphics than mine would be any step down.
post #104 of 157 Old 05-10-2014, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It would appear that the 2820 is being replaced with a 2830. To my knowledge, Intel is not running any kind of replacement program, though their website implies that there are known defects with the 2820 chip.

There is another relatively low cost unit similar to the DN2820FYKH coming out also. Perhaps those of you who better understand the chipset variations can comment if that is a more or less powerful unit.
post #105 of 157 Old 06-17-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I found out that the 2830 Celeron is being shipped under the old NUC model number. The way to differentiate between the 2820 and the 2830 CPU is by the SA or AA numbers found on the box or the main board.

2820 units:

SA H22962-102 and earlier
AA H24582-202 and earlier

2830 units:

SA H22962-103 and later
AA H24582-203 and later

I'd be curious to know if anyone has purchased one of the newer 2830 NUCs and where they bought it.
post #106 of 157 Old 06-22-2014, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I found out that the 2830 Celeron is being shipped under the old NUC model number. The way to differentiate between the 2820 and the 2830 CPU is by the SA or AA numbers found on the box or the main board.

2820 units:

SA H22962-102 and earlier
AA H24582-202 and earlier

2830 units:

SA H22962-103 and later
AA H24582-203 and later

I'd be curious to know if anyone has purchased one of the newer 2830 NUCs and where they bought it.

I just bought one this past week. I'll check mine out when I get home. I haven't read this whole thread yet, but does this work with quicksync or not? None of the options I choose in LAV show as active.
post #107 of 157 Old 07-17-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthrift View Post
I just bought one this past week. I'll check mine out when I get home. I haven't read this whole thread yet, but does this work with quicksync or not? None of the options I choose in LAV show as active.
Well I ordered mine from amazon and got an april build, 101 series.

I called intel and at least they offered to overnight a 103 for $20 and then I'd send this one back.

Guy never got back to me to confirm tonight so maybe I can get it saturday.

Still- what a mess that intel's shipping these known defective boxes to people.

The worst is you have no clue what you're getting buying online- go ahead and ask newegg, amazon, etc to check and confirm you're getting a 103 and see if they can hold back the laughter.

Oh well.

James
post #108 of 157 Old 07-17-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post
I called intel and at least they offered to overnight a 103 for $20 and then I'd send this one back.
You might see if they will send a new unit as in most cases it will be a refurbished unit. At times they send out Frankenstein units... Also, if you convince them yours is defective (out of the gate) they should wave the shipping fee. Since the 103s are fairly new your odds are better at getting a nicer unit...
post #109 of 157 Old 07-17-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
You might see if they will send a new unit as in most cases it will be a refurbished unit. At times they send out Frankenstein units... Also, if you convince them yours is defective (out of the gate) they should wave the shipping fee. Since the 103s are fairly new your odds are better at getting a nicer unit...
They already confirmed I'll be getting a 103- and also confirmed that there's NO way it'll be a new unit. They also know it's defective as it's a 101 series which is guaranteed to have bad usb headers. By "nicer" I'm assuming you mean cosmetically seeing they're so new? He told me they have a few test units that have never been in consumer hands.

Seeing I know of no way to get a 103 through retail channels I guess I could live with a "test" unit with a 3 year warranty. I'll give it a shot re the shipping.

My overriding point is that I doubt any outlet will have 103's shipping regularly anytime soon if amazon doesn't-- their entire stock was depleted just a couple weeks back.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Last edited by mastermaybe; 08-20-2014 at 02:07 PM.
post #110 of 157 Old 07-18-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

End game: I'm shipping mine back, sending them a tracking #, and they're 2-daying a 103 upon receipt of the tracking number.

Not a bad deal and I'm glad I went through a little bs to get a guaranteed good unit.

While I'm not crazy about Intel continuing to ship known bad units to vendors, I will say the "fix" went very well, thus far.

Good luck to everyone.

James
post #111 of 157 Old 08-19-2014, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
End game: I'm shipping mine back, sending them a tracking #, and they're 2-daying a 103 upon receipt of the tracking number.

Not a bad deal and I'm glad I went through a little bs to get a guaranteed good unit.

While I'm not crazy about Intel continuing to ship known bad units to vendors, I will say the "fix" went very well, thus far.

Good luck to everyone.

James
James, I'm curious to know how the swap-out with Intel went. Are you happy with the outcome? I made the decision to pick one of these up from Amazon. No idea if it'll have the 2820 or 2830 CPU...I'm expecting delivery on Friday.

The plan is to use the NUC as an extender for my basement TV, to view WMC recordings and .mkv movies (Win7 OS).

Thanks!
post #112 of 157 Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretski View Post
James, I'm curious to know how the swap-out with Intel went. Are you happy with the outcome? I made the decision to pick one of these up from Amazon. No idea if it'll have the 2820 or 2830 CPU...I'm expecting delivery on Friday.

The plan is to use the NUC as an extender for my basement TV, to view WMC recordings and .mkv movies (Win7 OS).

Thanks!
No problem; couldn't have gone better, honestly- I had my unit 36 hours later.

I just felt better about it and I'm glad I took the time and just did it.

Good luck on getting a 2830 straightaway, I've heard there's still a ton of back stock out there but certainly some vendors go through a lot more than others.

This $160 device running xbmc seems all but invincible to me right now in the media player world.

James
post #113 of 157 Old 08-19-2014, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
No problem; couldn't have gone better, honestly- I had my unit 36 hours later.

I just felt better about it and I'm glad I took the time and just did it.

Good luck on getting a 2830 straightaway, I've heard there's still a ton of back stock out there but certainly some vendors go through a lot more than others.

This $160 device running xbmc seems all but invincible to me right now in the media player world.

James
That's great to hear; thank you for the reply. Yeah, for the price point, it was hard not to pull the trigger. I'll give a go with Win7 on the box, as I have the necessary spare parts and spare licenses, but can always fall back to OpenELEC if need be.
post #114 of 157 Old 08-19-2014, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretski View Post
That's great to hear; thank you for the reply. Yeah, for the price point, it was hard not to pull the trigger. I'll give a go with Win7 on the box, as I have the necessary spare parts and spare licenses, but can always fall back to OpenELEC if need be.
I'd start with Openelc then fall back to Win7 if needed, much quicker to setup that way I have a NUC that has Win7 on it but when I was helping James out I decided to give Openelec a try, took 10 entire minutes and I was up and running and I haven't booted back into Window since, lol.

Bill
post #115 of 157 Old 08-20-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I have used both of the Celeron NUC models and just installed a HP Chromebox ($150). It's not as easily upgraded and doesn't have a built-in IR sensor (I hide the unit anyway) but overall I like it as much if not more. It only takes a few minutes to install OpenELEC (via dual-boot) and runs like a champ. It's a Haswell Celeron chip for perfect playback and plenty quick.

I purchased it over the NUC for two reasons... one was just to play around with it and I knew I would be less inclined to install Windows on it. Install OpenELEC and be done with it. After using it for a while I wouldn't swap for a NUC at all. Plus unlike the new Celeron NUC it has dual output which is important to me.

I posted some info about the process here...
Kodi (XBMC) via Chromebox

Last edited by Charles R; 08-20-2014 at 10:36 AM.
post #116 of 157 Old 08-20-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have used both of the Celeron NUC models and just installed a HP Chromebox ($150). It's not as easily upgraded and doesn't have a built-in IR sensor (I hide the unit anyway) but overall I like it as much if not more. It only takes a few minutes to install OpenELEC (via dual-boot) and runs like a champ. It's a Haswell Celeron chip for perfect playback and plenty quick.

I purchased it over the NUC for two reasons... one was just to play around with it and I knew I would be less inclined to install Windows on it. Install OpenELEC and be done with it. After using it for a while I wouldn't swap for a NUC at all. Plus unlike the new Celeron NUC it has dual output which is important to me.

I posted some info about the process here...
Kodi (XBMC) via Chromebox

I definitely wanted to keep the option for Win7 open: having another working/usable CPU around could definitely be a huge plus.

And no IR is just a non-starter for me: wife and kids have to be able to use it- easily. Using phones and ipads as a remote to watch movies loses its appeal almost instantly. Dual hdmi for me is unnecessary as I can output duals from my AVR.

Outside of someone who must have dual HDMI's I simply did not see another upside to a chromebox running openelec vs a nuc running openelec and I'd suspect I'm prolly closer to the norm, respectfully.

Regardless, either of these ~$150 fundamentally equivalent methodologies is the way to do a media player, as far as I can tell.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Last edited by mastermaybe; 08-20-2014 at 01:36 PM.
post #117 of 157 Old 08-20-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
And no IR is just a non-starter for me: wife and kids have to be able to use it- easily.
I use a couple of dollars IR sensor (it's pictured in the images) and what's so nice is it's really powerful. Works much better than the NUC's. Plus, I don't need line of site (to the NUC). It works 100% of the time bouncing off my screen and the NUC's not so much...

The CPU in the Chromebox is newer than the low-end Celeron NUC's and properly handles 24Hz video. For me proper video playback is essential. By the way dual output isn't the same as having dual output via the receiver (I have that as well). It allows you to run your video directly to the display to ensure it's not messed with...

As I posted I see them more different than the same. I got burnt-out on the NUCs since they use laptop CPUs and if you run Windows performance wise it's rather disappointing... even the i3 and such. For media players the i3 (proper video) works great.

Last edited by Charles R; 08-20-2014 at 02:24 PM.
post #118 of 157 Old 08-20-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I use a couple of dollars IR sensor (it's pictured in the images) and what's so nice is it's really powerful. Works much better than the NUC's. Plus, I don't need line of site (to the NUC). It works 100% of the time bouncing off my screen and the NUC's not so much...

The CPU in the Chromebox is newer than the low-end Celeron NUC's and properly handles 24Hz video. For me proper video playback is essential. By the way dual output isn't the same as having dual output via the receiver (I have that as well). It allows you to run your video directly to the display to ensure it's not messed with...

As I posted I see them more different than the same. I got burnt-out on the NUCs since they use laptop CPUs and if you run Windows performance wise it's rather disappointing... even the i3 and such. For media players the i3 (proper video) works great.
Well I suppose I don't have much to reiterate.

1. My IR works through tinted glass at 30 feet: doubt that should be an issue for more than 1%.

2. My avr- like most- can leave the signal untouched. Simply a non issue.

3. The discussion here is for the new NUCs with the baytrail chip that handles 24hz perfectly-- introducing other chips that do not is pointless. And an i3 nuc runs windows fine-- "performance" is relative of course and any sensible person needs to understand that perfromance out of a $150-$300 box will have limitations, but that doesn't mean it's a doorstop. Sometimes you need more than a glorified browser and it can do that.

4. I doubt most would say they're more different than similar: they're both low-end cpus that are- in this case- used as (relatively) hi-performing media players.

One can run windows, one can't. One has built-in IR, one does not.

I still haven't heard a real advantage to the chromebox over the nuc other than someone wanted to tinker and was sick of nucs- but that doesn't mean it's (chromebox) a bad product- especially for someone who just wants to watch movies with it.

There's not much of a debate here but it seems like you feel compelled to create one...in a thread dedicated to new-gen NUCs.

James

Last edited by mastermaybe; 08-20-2014 at 02:58 PM.
post #119 of 157 Old 08-20-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I still haven't heard a real advantage to the chromebox over the nuc other than someone wanted to tinker and was sick of nucs- but that doesn't mean it's (chromebox) a bad product- especially for someone who just wants to watch movies with it.
There have been many. How about a new one... you can dual boot Chrome OS. Whether they are a real advantage to you is irrelevant. What's available as an alternative isn't.
post #120 of 157 Old 08-20-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There have been many. How about a new one... you can dual boot Chrome OS. Whether they are a real advantage to you is irrelevant. What's available as an alternative isn't.

Many where? "Burnt out on tinkering", wrongly purporting a new nuc cannot play 24hz properly; and also falsely detailing the IR doesn't work total precisely zero. "Dual boot" - which is really reaching to me and the "other" 99%...sure. Awesome.

You have however discounted the nucs built-in IR (that- again-works just fine) and the ability to run the worlds most used OS.

I'd ask you to point out the "many" advantages of a chromebox I've missed; but again- this is a nuc thread and most here are savvy enough to know what I have already detailed.

Have a great day and perhaps move the chromebox pom-poms to a chromebox thread?

Thanks in advance.
James
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page