AVS Forum banner

Intel NUC DN2820FYKH Bay Trail

46K views 160 replies 50 participants last post by  baumi 
#1 ·
This unit has a suggested retail price of about $140 and is now showing up on U.S. Shelves. This thread is dedicated to this unit, which is attractive for HTPC due to low price and small size. It is easy to create a sub $300 system for this unit using XBMC and Linux, and not much more if one goes with Windows.

Other threads are discussing this unit, but I think we are better off having one unified thread for the unit.

http://ark.intel.com/products/78953/Intel-NUC-Kit-DN2820FYK

Summary:

Unit works generally well so far. There are some Intel graphics issues that are an issue for VC-1 codecs. Does not get very hot, small. Relatively inexpensive. It would appear that ProVantage is a good place to look for the unit. I overpaid when adding shipping, etc. at PC Connection.

More detailed comments:

So I picked up the Bay Trail NUC from PC Connection. Pricing was basically suggested retail, plus I paid sales tax and 2 days expedited shipping.

Also picked up 8gb or RAM. I repurposed a 1TB 2.5 inch sata drive from a Seagate portable drive and also used an extra Windows 8 license that I picked up dirt cheap from Microsoft last year during the intro period. The unit is definitely aimed at Windows 8 and 8.1 by Intel when you look at the supported operating system matrix.

Intel provides a list of recommended memory. Most of it is billed as Mac portable memory. I ordered a crucial stick and it worked just fine right away.

I am not sure that 8gb was really called for given my intended uses, and based on observing reported program data from XBMC Frodo I am using less than 2gb of memory for HD material playback. By the way, I am new to XBMC but could not get the performance I wanted with some less common blu-ray codecs (such as those used on Kubrick's 2001 and Clockwork Orange which is VC-1). I think that Intel needs solidify some of their graphics drivers for this unit.

I have not tried the infrared remote yet, or the wifi, or the bluetooth. But once I installed the Intel updates, the video, audio and ethernet have all worked just fine. The packaging implies a bios update should be installed, but it turns out that the bios the unit shipped with is the same on the Intel download site.

I am new to PC installation from a USB stick, but there are utilities that format the Microsoft ISO files onto FAT32 and that worked just fine. I had originally thought I could transfer an operating system with apps from a notebook, run the Windows 8 repair utilities, than put in the Windows 8 activation code but a number of errors (including messages about a locked hard drive) kept popping up. So I eventuallly. went with a clean install. In retrospect, I thik 4gb and a 128gb SSD would be good choices for this machine.

Installation was easy. The only trick was after the memory is put in, an internal connector (probably supplies internal power) needs to be attached. There is a picture of the procedure in the included easy installation mini-manual. Installing the hard drive was super easy. The only hard part of the installation was installing Windows 8, then upgrading to 8.1 and getting various software packages to load. I was impressed that even during the initial installation process the unit recognized my Logitech 400 usb wireless keyboard (with built in track pad).

So a few overall comments. I am using the machine as a HTPC, and have no opinions on the units suitability for gaming or for running Linux.

As a HTPC, I think that once it is set up it should be fine. However, Intel is still working out some driver bugs based on posts I have seen on the Intel forums. For now, I would suggest use of a paid application like Arcsoft TMT. MPC-HC and VLC do work with a variety of media files but not all so far. VC-1 codecs are a challenge right now. Some people are stating issues with bitstream DTS HD MA, but I am decoding those using the arsoft dll into linear PCM. My current receiver does not handle those codecs. But otherwise I like the Denon 3806 so I am not rushing into a new unit.

I am having some issues getting text to be more easily readable on the screen. I had been optimizing the unit for HD video playback. I am open to ideas for how to set up the display parameters.

So you can get a very small HTPC going for a reasonable sum. $140 for the unit itself; $40 or so for 4gb of memory, $60 to $100 for a hard drive or SSD, and a Windows 7 or 8 license. Or maybe Linux if you know what you are doing. Not a killer graphics chip, but with the appropriate software seems to do the job.

See less See more
#4 ·
The problem is just with VC-1 codecs. I gather these are not common but two of my Warner Brother Kubrick discs use them. I know the machine can handle these; as they plan well with Arcsoft Total Media Theater.

I would prefer to play them using MPC-HC. They play, but in a herky-jerky fashion. My version of Arcsoft only plays these in stereo (its old).

From the Intel forums it looks like this is traceable to some drivers that should be updated. I bet Intel will sell a lot of these, so I expect support will be there.

#6 ·
Can you give me a sense of how this unit performs in terms of Windows Media Center? I am particularly interested in hd recordings playback and menu responsiveness. I am interested in replacing my bulky power hungry pc in the living room with something more elegant and capable. The plan is to build a powerful server and have something the size of a nuc record from my hdhomerun prime and upload the recordings to the server. Could the bay trail handle like three or so hd recording simultaneously while viewing a live stream and still provide a snappy menu experience in WMC?

#7 ·
I am not a fan of Windows media center as it does seem to have all the codecs I need. But I did install it (still had a code for that lying around also). The UI seems fine, as does the UI for XBMC. But I do not love the codec situation for either of those. I am settling in on MPC-HC as the playback software of choice for video, and Foobar for audio.

I am slowly but surely dialing in the proper settings on MPC-HC 64 bit. Lawrence of Arabia looks and sounds great in hi def. I even have the two VC-! format movies working to some degree. I suspect that over time Intel will upgrade the graphics codecs and things will get even better. But right now my sense is that there is some reason for caution on this unit as a HTPC compared with some other recent units with more advanced built in Intel graphics cores. I mean this works, but definitely requires tweaking. When the GPU is powerful enough, tweaking is often not needed.

#10 ·
I can now recommend this machine, but with caveats. Caveats relate to system crash issues getting to this point.

I broke down and purchased the latest version of Arcsoft TMT from Amazon as a download, where the price was reasonable ($30). Same price on NewEgg for a download. Somehow Arcsoft itself charges $90 or so for this.

Yes, the problematic VC1 files now work fine with TMT 6. As do some other previously problematic files with more popular codecs.

I have not experimented with the downstairs rig which is bitstream capable to see what happens with this software.

I still need to read the online manual to figure out how to switch audio tracks. But anyway video is smooth with this, and at least for now I would pronounce this a usable inexpensive HTPC solution with the caveat that one needs to purchase something like Arcsoft and the current drivers when combined with VLC or MPC-HC only seem to work with some files and not others.

I do have media player on this unit, but have not experimented much with it yet as many of my codecs are not supported. I have not tried the Shark suggestion yet. I am wary of unsupported files at this point.

Why....am I wary of having too many user supported codecs in the machine? This has to do with a complete system crash and rebuild effort that ensued.

Between MPC-HC, LAV, an old version of Arcsoft, a trial of PowerDVD....I managed to crash the NUC. And the Windows restore did not work as I had upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1, a known issue. The final straw was my attempt to reinstall Arcsoft's trial, but I am not sure that was the culprit for the crash.

The rebuild took longer than planned as the update from the Windows store was lengthy. Anyway all is working again, after having fun taking ownership of files and re-downloaded some media files from the server where permissions stubbornly refused to cooperate. Rufus came to the rescue for the rebuild. I have downloaded an 8.1 ISO from Microsoft that I may try to use for a refresh if needed as the restore was painful. In addition, I am finding that the system image capabilities of 8.1 are hard to work with compared with Win 7. Microsoft just cannot get out of its own way sometimes, a shame if you ask me. I want them to succeed, but they do keep on throwing up various unneeded barriers to consumer acceptance.

#12 ·
This new Bay Trail NUC has me thinking I should replace my ancient HTPC. I run Windows 7 and Mediaportal to play back HD MKV´s mostly, no transcoding. Would this puppy be fast enough to replace a Core2Duo E8400 based system with an ATI HD 6450 handling Video and sound duties? I can´t say I´ve had any problems with my current system. I´ve even tried some H265 1080p videos recently and they ran great, and I believe H265 is software decoding only.

#13 ·
I would say yes but I can tell you nothing will install on this unit other than Windows 8. The intel website even shows it is only supported by W8 so be aware of that.

I sent mine back because of this.

Greg

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS  /t/1513834/intel-nuc-dn2820fykh-bay-trail#post_24277884

I would say yes but I can tell you nothing will install on this unit other than Windows 8. The intel website even shows it is only supported by W8 so be aware of that.

I sent mine back because of this.

Greg

Wow, what a curious decision. I thought many people bought these for simple linux applications - file servers, media computers, digital signage, etc.

#15 ·
Well I am not sure if anyone has gotten anything else installed on it but I know other members here have not been successful with OpenElec and I myself had no luck with W7.

I could be wrong of course but near as I can tell this is pretty much a W8 box in my book.

Greg

#16 ·
 http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-board-dn2820fykh.html
Quote:
•Intel® Visual BIOS
•Intel® Visual Boot Manager

•Windows* 8.1 and 8 Logo
•Compatible with Linux*

•VESA mount bracket (75x75mm and 100x100mm compatible)

•Half-length PCIe* mini-card slot (used by pre-installed wireless card)

•Low-acoustics active cooling design

•Kensington lock support

•3-year advanced warranty replacement

Visual Boot Manager is for loading multiple operating systems on a PC, and obviously then it says Linux compatible (though I couldn't figure out what caveat the asterix signified)

And this site is selling them preloaded w/ W7 or W8 http://www.thebookpc.com/product-p/dn2820fykh.htm

#17 ·
Has any one updated the bios and attempted to install windows 7? According to bios page it needs version 21 or later and
Quote:
Windows 7, 64-bit versions:

1. Press F2 when prompted during boot to enter BIOS Setup.

2. On the Devices and Peripherals > USB menu, set USB3.0 (XHCI mode) support to Enable.

3. On the Devices and Peripherals > SATA menu, set Chipset SATA Mode to AHCI.

4. On the Boot > Boot Priority menu, in the Legacy Boot Priority pane, uncheck Legacy Boot to disable it.

5. On the Boot > Boot Configuration menu, in the UEFI Boot pane, set OS Selection to Windows 7.

6. Press F10 to save your changes and exit BIOS Setup.

7. Proceed with the installation of the operating system.

There were notes for other operating systems as well, however I will admit I have had problems with uefi installs of windows 7 in the past from usb.

I am debating between this and the i3 version with my tax refund but would like to stick with win 7. I'd also like some confirmation on how well it runs with WMC

#18 ·
I can try later tonight as mine has not been mailed back yet. I doubt it will matter though since I couldn't even get W8 load on mine but who knows. The 3217 NUC I did last week had to have a bios update done to it before I could install anything as well. Perhaps this will do the trick.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS  /t/1513834/intel-nuc-dn2820fykh-bay-trail#post_24277936

Well I am not sure if anyone has gotten anything else installed on it but I know other members here have not been successful with OpenElec and I myself had no luck with W7.

I could be wrong of course but near as I can tell this is pretty much a W8 box in my book.

Greg

OpenElec doesn't work for this model? Mine arrived but I have yet to try but I purchased this specifically for OpenElec.

Hope that is not true

#20 ·
Scroll up and read a few of the posts above there seems to be a bios update that came out just yesterday to address this issue so it may work with OpenElec just fine now.

#21 ·
Well no luck for me. Although instead of getting neverending reboots I get a BSOD after about 10 seconds of loading windows set up so RMA it is.

#23 ·
What is responsiveness like with Win8 and a 2.5" HDD for OS and media?

I would prefer to go SSD for OS + HDD for media but this doesn't support that (no mSATA support).

The last install I made without an SSD was Vista and there was a lot of disk churning on the HTPC causing sluggishness. But maybe Win8 is better in this respect?

#24 ·
Used 3 different sticks all on the Intel approved list. On purchased from newegg the other 2 purchased locally.

Enough is enough with this model for me.

#25 ·
Just use a regular SSD drive (2.5")

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.