Black screen issues with Radeon 6450 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-26-2014, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I've tried searching and nothing quite seems on point. I have a Radeon 6450 card in my HTPC with Win 8.1 Pro. Every now and then when I turn on the HTPC/TV I ge a black screen with the TV saying "No Source Detected". If I put the computer to sleep and then bring it out again, it fixes the problem. This is a major WAF problem. Is this an EDID issue? I really don't want to get a Geffen if I can avoid it (I'd rather buy a new card).

Anybody have a solution/ideas? Or should I just get rid of the Radeon and get an Nvidia? If so, can anyone recommend a cheap nVidia card that would work? I need it to not have the 29/59 bug. I'm just not familiar with nVidia cards these days.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-26-2014, 07:40 AM

Liked: 12
Sounds like the hdmi handshake issue.

There are a couple of things you can try to see if it helps. The first is the cover pin 19 trick. It can be tricky to get the tape to just cover pin 19 and then to stay in place when plugging in and unplugging the cable. I skipped that and went to the next step. I soldered in a 1k ohm resistor from pin 18? to pin 19. My understanding of it is that this fools the computer into thinking the tv is always on so that it doesn't have to renegotiate the handshake every time you actually do turn the tv on. I did this on an hdmi cable, but you can buy an inexpensive hdmi angled adapter at monoprice or elsewhere and do it to that instead.

You may also try different driver versions for your vid card. I've got the latest amd drivers and and I am no longer using the modified hdmi cable and I rarely have issues.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-26-2014, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. That makes sense, I hear the windows disconnect/reconnect hardware sound when I turn the TV on. I'll try to play around with drivers. I didn't have this problem earlier (can't remember what version I was on) but I had to reinstall Windows recently and got the most recent drivers which seem to be causing the issue. I may just uninstall the drivers entirely and see what happens. If not, i'll try the hardware modifications.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-26-2014, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting thing I noticed. The problem only appears when I use my Harmony remote. When I turn the TV on manually and use the keyboard to wake the HTPC, i don't hear the noise and the TV works fine. Any one know a way of delaying the TV turning on (or HTPC)?
post #5 of 7 Old 01-26-2014, 01:10 PM

Liked: 12
In your Harmony software, you should be able to change the order of device turn on. There should also be a way to change the delay, but it's been too long since I've looked at that I don't recall the details.

Something I was thinking about is that around the time I updated my video card driver, I also replaced my hdmi cables with redmere from monoprice. I wonder if something about how they work would make a difference?
post #6 of 7 Old 01-28-2014, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Just as an update. I installed HDMIyo and it seems to work great. Solves my problem completely. It resets the HDMI link when the computer wakes. And also you can set a hotkey to force the resync if necessary, which I've added to my harmony remote.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=bd28802b18ac2b0c&id=BD28802B18AC2B0C!143
post #7 of 7 Old 01-30-2014, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Posted this elsewhere but I'll post here as well.

HDMIyo worked great for a few times, but then it quickly devoled into more hell.

Also, for me at least, I found that doing CTL+ALT+DEL and then escape would solve my problem. So I added that to EventGhost and my harmony. Works as a failsafe.

I also just tried this and it works pretty well. http://www.thehtpc.net/htpc-tips-and-tweaks/solving-your-hdmi-handshake-issues-once-and-for-all/

Key things to know that aren't covered in the article:

1) the wait command for some reason is no longer in miliseconds. So the default text he has will have the wait go WAY too long. I shorted it to 5 and have had good results.

2) If you're running an x64 version of windows, you need to follow these instructions to get the proper version of devcon: http://techlikes.com/2010/09/25/devcon-problem-in-windows-7-solved.html

Also, took me forever to realize you copy the devcon.exe file to the system32 folder. Don't think it's written very clear about that.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page