How to strip DRM from WTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-27-2014, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been researching this for weeks with no success. Can someone please tell me how to either record a copy once recording without the DRM or strip the DRM from a WTV.

Thanks.

2x HDHomeRun Prime - 3CC
Sharp 65" TV; Sharp 46" TV; Panasonic 42" TV; Sony 40" TV; Sony 32" TV
WMC HTPC Server: Intel Celeron G1840, 4GB RAM, MSI H81M-P33, 1TB
Main HTPC: Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB, 1TB, 2TB, 3TB
XB360 WMC Extender, Ceton Echo, Roku 3, Apple TV 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-27-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 205
If someone has cracked Microsoft's encryption then they definitely haven't shared it w/ the internet.

The easiest (and only) way around it is to use a capture device like a Hauppauge Colossus or HD-PVR. Typically you'd use it with a cable box, but you could probably also capture your pc's output with it too. That will give you a DRM-free recording.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #3 of 17 Old 01-27-2014, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've actually been looking to do this for two reasons:
1. I want to run some movies thru handbrake and reduce their size on my server as well as remove some commericals and more importantly,
2. I wanted to upgrade my HTPC (which was using a Core 2 Duo)

For the last 6+ months I've had to keep two HTPCs hooked up because I can't watch these recordings on anything but the computer that recorded them (and my Xbox 360's) and its been super annoying. I've got like a year of backlog shows to go thru before I can think about retiring this PC, but then I'll still probably have to keep it around for replays (like when the wife catches an episode of House of Lies in season 3 or whatever and wants to watch it from episode 1). The only solution that I've found is to use screen capture software, but the results from that have been mixed at best with some significant A/V degradation on a few shows.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-27-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Let us know when you crack it. I have been waiting for it since 2007...

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #5 of 17 Old 01-27-2014, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

I know it has to be possible, because go anywhere on the internet and you will see shows from HBO, Starz, which should only come from a CableCARD, without encryption. I know that they weren't recorded with a PVR because they are titled HDTV which means from a digital source, other than satellite or a capture card. If they were taken from a capture card, they would be titled AHDTV as explained in this Scene ruleset:

Video taken from the decoded HD output of a set-top box (e.g. ³
³ component, DVI, HDMI) may be used as a source; source must be tagged ³
³ in dirname as AHDTV. Releases taken from a natively recorded transport ³
³ stream shall be tagged as HDTV and do not dupe AHDTV releases. AHDTV ³
³ releases do dupe HDTV. AHDTV captures must be done at the native format ³
³ of the channel, i.e. 720p or 1080i.

2x HDHomeRun Prime - 3CC
post #6 of 17 Old 01-27-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not following. Are those metadata tags used by the cable companies somewhere in the MPEG transport stream?

Also, how are shows like Game of Thrones or Homeland transmitted in other countries (I'm just asking, I have no idea)? Is there anywhere in the world that you can watch these programs with a DVB tuner? That would mean they came over a digital source without analog capture.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

post #7 of 17 Old 01-27-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman13 View Post

I know it has to be possible...

Possible? Probably. But that doesn't mean it has been done.

You're making two big, and likely wrong assumptions to reach your conclusion...

1) That people posting material always follow the "scene" rules.
2) That the content you've listed is only available in encrypted format.

Your argument is only one step removed from "I know The Romantics did a great cover of 'I Wanna Be Sedated' because I downloaded a version of it from Napster that was labeled that way." (It wasn't The Romantics it was The Ramones but sadly most 15 year old kids at the time didn't know the difference)

But the short answer to your original question, is "no." Even if it had been done (which it hasn't) it would violate the guidelines of the forum to discuss it here anyway.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-27-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Anyone who has come close to cracking it, publicly, has been silenced by Microsoft, and CableLABS.

If there is a crack, it would not be in a public forum, and will be distributed in a private, secured medium, that keeps the outsiders out.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #9 of 17 Old 01-27-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I assume too that if it did happen somehow, and that it was released to the wild, that Microsoft would be pushing an update to patch it in short order.

post #10 of 17 Old 01-27-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 137
No need to crack it. That's what torrents are for.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-27-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Anyone who has come close to cracking it, publicly, has been silenced by Microsoft, and CableLABS.

If their track record of silencing leaks regarding Windows Activation and WGA are any indicator, I'm pretty sure it would be pretty widespread news by now.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #12 of 17 Old 01-27-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:

I know it has to be possible, because go anywhere on the internet and you will see shows from HBO, Starz, which should only come from a CableCARD, without encryption. I know that they weren't recorded with a PVR because they are titled HDTV which means from a digital source, other than satellite or a capture card. If they were taken from a capture card, they would be titled AHDTV as explained in this Scene ruleset:

They could be from BD discs which is easily ripped without effort. Also, not all cable cos encrypt/copy-protect everything. Verizon FIOS only started copy-protection on premium channels middle of last year.

WMC is the only PC software today that can record CableCard programs. If the DRM is cracked, we could kiss good bye to WMC forever (as MS wanted it to already). What's the point of cracking it if you can no longer record it?

Some evils are necessary to live with. PVR/DVR is a time shifting mechanism, not movie backups.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-27-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

You are assuming wrong. That stuff is recorded with an HD capture card. I think a newer way is appearing to gain ground in capturing the "webrips" of shows from places like the Google Play store.

post #14 of 17 Old 01-28-2014, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

You are assuming wrong. That stuff is recorded with an HD capture card. I think a newer way is appearing to gain ground in capturing the "webrips" of shows from places like the Google Play store.

Okay, thanks

2x HDHomeRun Prime - 3CC
post #15 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
its easy really

Someone just needs to write device drivers for a virtual video card and monitor with a program that will record anything "displayed" on the virtual monitor. Then you WMC will think you have a dual monitor setup and you just play all your shows on the virtual device.

get crackin you brilliant programmers.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen hoos (Rexregum) View Post
Someone just needs to write device drivers for a virtual video card and monitor with a program that will record anything "displayed" on the virtual monitor. Then you WMC will think you have a dual monitor setup and you just play all your shows on the virtual device.

Your virtual display driver isn't going to be HDCP compliant so it wouldn't allow you to play back copy protected content on that virtual display. And you wouldn't be capturing the transport stream, you'd be effectively just doing screengrabs of uncompressed video frames. You'd still need to recompress it again to have it in a manageable size, so you're no better off than having just used an analog capture card, or some screen capture software.

post #17 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen hoos (Rexregum) View Post

The easiest way to remove the copy-once protection is to just use a capture card. FiOS had copy-once in my area on a couple shows for about 6 months then they got rid of it. That's what I did to remove it though.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page