Windows 7 drops from 5.1 hdmi audio back to stereo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-31-2014, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently learned about installing wasapi for bit perfect audio, I noticed when using xbmc I get very choppy video playback unless windows is showing 5.1 sound under my AMD Hdmi output properties. I configured windows to match my current system setting all 3 front speakers set to small and clicked the box for a subwoofer. Well everything was great for listening to 24/192 audio through foobar with wasapi plug in same with xbmc. This is where it gets strange the computer went back to 2.0 stereo and I lost my selection for 5.1 audio tried rebooting still not showing up under speaker configure in windows, any help? Thanks

Samsung es6150 55", Marantz av8801, Acer RL70 - HTPC, Sony S590 - BluRay, Polk Lsim703's - Mains, Polk LSIC - Center, Parasound A21 amp for mains & Acurus A250- Amplifier center channel, Dual Svs SB2000 Subwoofers
Blue Jeans 10AWG Speaker wire, Kimber Kable Hero Interconnects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-31-2014, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 72
No reason to set your windows config to match anything - if WASAPI is working properly it should by-pass any windows setting.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-31-2014, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Wasapi seems to be playing fine. I just dont understand why my windows 7 speaker settings go from 5.1 to stereo . I'm not sure what's causing the change.

Samsung es6150 55", Marantz av8801, Acer RL70 - HTPC, Sony S590 - BluRay, Polk Lsim703's - Mains, Polk LSIC - Center, Parasound A21 amp for mains & Acurus A250- Amplifier center channel, Dual Svs SB2000 Subwoofers
post #4 of 17 Old 01-31-2014, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
were you switching receiver inputs....to tv for example, then back to htpc?

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-31-2014, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Yes....

post #6 of 17 Old 01-31-2014, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

i have an amd gpu as well that was having the same problem...the switching back to stereo. it was with a denon receiver though. i throught it was an edid issue, but found out it wasnt.

what worked for me was the hdmi pin 19 tape trick. google that. it disables the hotplug detection in hdmi, so tricks htpc to thinking it doesnt lose the receiver connection.
just have to make sure receiver is set to htpc during bootup. then switching inputs on receiver wont matter anymore and you wont lose 5.1 settings options. if you reboot htpc, same thing, make sure receiver is on htpc.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-31-2014, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaskary77 View Post

i have an amd gpu as well that was having the same problem...the switching back to stereo. it was with a denon receiver though. i throught it was an edid issue, but found out it wasnt.

what worked for me was the hdmi pin 19 tape trick. google that. it disables the hotplug detection in hdmi, so tricks htpc to thinking it doesnt lose the receiver connection.
just have to make sure receiver is set to htpc during bootup. then switching inputs on receiver wont matter anymore and you wont lose 5.1 settings options. if you reboot htpc, same thing, make sure receiver is on htpc.

Thanks for the tip, I would have never found that on my own. Going to try it now.

post #8 of 17 Old 01-31-2014, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

any luck?

post #9 of 17 Old 01-31-2014, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Well the resolution of my windows doesn't get changed when switching back to the HTPC like before but it still dropped from 5.1 back to stereo. Strangely it didn't do it the first or second time that I switched sources but after I woke the computer up.

post #10 of 17 Old 01-31-2014, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

get the devcon utility here. win 7x64: http://www.itworks.sk/storage/devcon.zip

for AMD cards, the command you have to run is probably:
Code:
devcon.exe restart =display *VEN_1002*

doesnt matter when you run it, see if this brings back the 5.1 option in the sound settings. the command restarts the driver, hence redetecting whats connected to the gpu.

the pin 19 works for me, but this is for backup so i dont have to reboot with the htpc selected.
Chriscorv58 likes this.

post #11 of 17 Old 01-31-2014, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the stupid question but how do I runt he command. Thanks - ignorance is bliss.

post #12 of 17 Old 01-31-2014, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

download the devcon.zip. unzip it to devcon.exe maybe to your c: drive
then go to start, type cmd and from there, right click and run cmd.exe as administrator
then go to c: drive and run the command exactly as listed above. *VEN_1002* is for AMD gpus.

if that works, let me know, and i can help with creating a click icon to run it as a batch file.
Chriscorv58 likes this.

post #13 of 17 Old 01-31-2014, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

download the devcon.zip. unzip it to devcon.exe maybe to your c: drive
then go to start, type cmd and from there, right click and run cmd.exe as administrator
then go to c: drive and run the command exactly as listed above. *VEN_1002* is for AMD gpus.

if that works, let me know, and i can help with creating a click icon to run it as a batch file.
Its telling me its not a recognized as an internal or external command. operable program or batch file

post #14 of 17 Old 01-31-2014, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscorv58 View Post

Its telling me its not a recognized as an internal or external command. operable program or batch file

It worked, i moved the .exe file in to windows32 folder and retyped the command. Back to 8 channel audio!

post #15 of 17 Old 01-31-2014, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

excellent.

i created a batch file, a text file with the extension .bat instead of .txt
with your location, you can copy paste this to it:
Code:

i have my devcon.exe in d:\devcon\devcon.exe so my batch file has:
Code:
d:
cd devcon

then create a shortcut to that batch file to your desktop. double click for ease of use. i dont know if you need to go into its properties and select run as administrator.
however, with the pin 19 trick, i dont have to use this command at all since the htpc stays on 24/7. it doesnt know the receiver switched to the tv and back, so keeps this setting.
i dont let mine sleep either. i think because you do, the pin 19 trick wont work unless you have the receiver selected to htpc when coming out of sleep.

however, someone talked about running that .bat file automatically when coming out of sleep, but unless htpc is selected on receiver, i dont know how it would be any better.

post #16 of 17 Old 01-31-2014, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

excellent.

i created a batch file, a text file with the extension .bat instead of .txt
with your location, you can copy paste this to it:
Code:

i have my devcon.exe in d:\devcon\devcon.exe so my batch file has:
Code:
d:
cd devcon

then create a shortcut to that batch file to your desktop. double click for ease of use. i dont know if you need to go into its properties and select run as administrator.
however, with the pin 19 trick, i dont have to use this command at all since the htpc stays on 24/7. it doesnt know the receiver switched to the tv and back, so keeps this setting.
i dont let mine sleep either. i think because you do, the pin 19 trick wont work unless you have the receiver selected to htpc when coming out of sleep.

however, someone talked about running that .bat file automatically when coming out of sleep, but unless htpc is selected on receiver, i dont know how it would be any better.

Just need to figure out how to set the receiver to wake up on my HTPC and not TV. Sounds like my problem will be all fixed. I cannot thank you enough.

post #17 of 17 Old 02-01-2014, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

no problem. one of those stupid little things that gets frustrating.

there are a few things you can try. while it couldnt be fixed by edid for me with a denon and sony tv, your samsung and marantz may.

look at this post: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482693/workaround-nvidia-hdmi-audio-not-plugged-in-after-resume-from-sleep-s3-or-turning-tv-off-then-on#post_24029456

you may want to ask on this thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1227161/edid-overrides-to-solve-bitstreaming-issues-for-ati-5xxxs referring back to our thread, if edid override is what you need, or if devcon is the way to go.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page