Dispelling Backblaze's HDD Reliability Myth - The Real Story Covered - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 129 Old 02-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post

When I'm claiming that you can't based on the backblaze study claim Hitachis are more reliable than Seagates. or Western Digital, and you tell me I'm wrong, then yes, you are claiming that very thing.

Wrong yet again. I made no such claim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 129 Old 02-09-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2100 View Post

Wrong yet again. I made no such claim.

So we agree that you can't based on the Backblaze study claim that Hitachi drives in general are any more reliable than Seagate or WD drives.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #123 of 129 Old 02-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So we agree that you can't based on the Backblaze study claim that Hitachi drives in general are any more reliable than Seagate or WD drives.

You really need to read more carefully (or possibly think more clearly, or both).
post #124 of 129 Old 02-09-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2100 View Post

You really need to read more carefully.

I'll tell you what...

I'm just going to keep talking about the Backblaze study. That real, actual thing, that happened, and was recorded, and published. You can keep ranting about probability and statistics (and keep complaining because when you steer the conversation away from the study and towards the abstract, people want expect you to back up what you say) To be very clear... you're the one who doesn't seem to want to talk about the backblaze study. You're the one who wants to keep this limited to a discussion of general probability and statistics, and you're the one who is complaining because people are asking you about the very topic you insist on steering the discussion towards.

If want to actually make a claim about this study then I'm all ears. If you're just going to keep trying to derail the conversation into a lecture about prob and stat, and then refuse to actually give said lecture I have no more interest in trying to have a discussion with you.

I have no issue at all with someone claiming I'm wrong if they'll explain what exactly I'm wrong about, and why exactly I'm wrong. I love learning that I was wrong about things... it means I learned something new. You however haven't brought anything to the discussion except trolling and nitpicking. You've refused to actually engage in any meaningful dialogue, instead choosing to talk in circles. Welcome to my ignore list. Good night.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #125 of 129 Old 02-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Anybody else feel like this has become a Monty Python skit? rolleyes.gif
EricN likes this.
post #126 of 129 Old 02-09-2014, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have no issue at all with someone claiming I'm wrong if they'll explain what exactly I'm wrong about, and why exactly I'm wrong.

So despite your previous denial, you do feel entitled to having someone teach you basic probability and statistics. That is kind of pathetic. frown.gif
post #127 of 129 Old 02-09-2014, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth View Post

Anybody else feel like this has become a Monty Python skit? rolleyes.gif

Here's a good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4
post #128 of 129 Old 02-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
biggrin.gif Well I'm glad that's settled

Thank you, although I believe this was more of what I meant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y
post #129 of 129 Old 02-09-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

So to summarize my thoughts on the Backblaze blog post.

The study covered more than 25,000 drives, including 15 different models from 3 different manufacturers. The study concluded that of the drives observed that Hitachis had the lowest AFR, followed by Western Digital, followed by Seagate. They made no claims about manufacturer reliability in general.

And that is all that the study concluded.That's it.

If someone wanted to try and derive any other conclusions regarding the study, they should share their numbers, and show their work. If they didn't actually perform any further analysis, beyond what Backblaze did, then they should be clear to point out what they are sharing is an educated guess, not anything of merit.
Mfusick likes this.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Seagate , Seagate Hard Drives , Seagate Stbv4000100 4tb Expansion Desktop Drive , Western Digital , Ocz Technology , Ocz Vertex 4 Vtx4 25sat3 256g 2 5 Mlc Internal Solid State Drive Ssd , Ocz Technology Vector 150 Series 120gb 2 5 Inch Sata Iii Internal Solid State Drive With 3 5 Inch Ad , Ocz Technology 256g Vertex 450 Series Sata 6 0 Gb S 2 5 Inch 7mm Height Sold State Drive Ssd With Ac , Ocz Technology 128g Vertex 450 Series Sata 6 0 Gb S 2 5 Inch 7mm Height Sold State Drive Ssd With Ac , Ocz Technology 128gb Vertex 4 Series Sata 6 0 Gb S 2 5 Inch Solid State Drive Ssd With Industrys Hig , Ocz Technology 256gb Vector Series Sata 6 0 Gb S 7 Mm Height 2 5 Inch Ssd With 100k Iops And 5 Year , Ocz Technology 128gb Vector Series Sata 6 0 Gb S 7 Mm Height 2 5 Inch Ssd With 95k Iops And 5 Year W
Gear in this thread - Stbv4000100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page