Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 02-03-2014, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 63
game on!!!
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57617969-93/google-opens-chromecast-to-all-developers/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47

About time! This is exciting news alright. A real game changer.

How long before I can buy a whole-home DVR (from Simple.TV, Tablo, Channel Master ...) that uses a CC app for the TV link?

Will this pull the rug out from under TiVo's, Roku boxes and HTPC's? Or will they jump on the bandwagon and incorporate CC into their product offerings?

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #3 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I just gave my Chromecast to my mother-in-law for her birthday and set up my Plex server on her tablet. At least they are cheap and I can easily grab one if the apps pop up. In my case it was rather silly to have the Chromecast connected to the same system as my HTPC since I've got all the media there already. I bought a Roku3 to play with to replace the Chromecast. I do like the universal search of the Roku.

post #4 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
we have a chromecast in our workout/liquor room (a conundrum at times, for sure) and use it to push netflix or music to the tv in there. perfect for that.
post #5 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
The whole Chromecast thing goes over my head. Who wants to use a phone to watch tv (apparently a lot of people I guess). Since it doesnt have a remote how do you turn it down/off when you get a phone call?

Given that it relies on wifi what could this possibly offer somone who wants high quality video?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #6 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
can you sign in with myplex on chromecast, which connects to a server across the internet?

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #7 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Chromecast is basically like a Wi-Fi HDMI cable. You start Netflix, Plex, Hulu, Pandora, whatever (this thread means the whatever will be growing quickly) and select the "play to" device as Chromecast. This is the same process you would use to play through Bluetooth speakers or built-in speakers. You navigate and pick your media on your device (smartphone, tablet, PC) and it plays on your TV. This is good for something like Netflix where you can use the app to find what you like using search and the push it to your Chromecast.

The only catch with Plex is to use Chromecast right now you have to have a PlexPass account until they bring the feature out of "beta".

Remember, this thing retails for only $35. Get your expectations in line.

post #8 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

The whole Chromecast thing goes over my head. Who wants to use a phone to watch tv (apparently a lot of people I guess).
After use mine a few times, I tend to agree with you. Using a phone control movie watching is tiresome and unnatural.
Quote:
Since it doesnt have a remote how do you turn it down/off when you get a phone call?

Always keep your TV remote handy to mute the TV (or AVR) smile.gif There is no way to pause the video without using the phone.

The phone doesn't have to be on all the time. Chromecast streams video directly from internet source, not from phone. Phone merely sends command to it. Once movie started, you can do what ever you want on the phone.
Quote:
Given that it relies on wifi what could this possibly offer somone who wants high quality video?

It is for convenience although typically it gets better streams on Netflix than you can on a phone or tablets (most phones and tablets are only capable of stream SD quality Netflix but Chromecast can stream Super HD quality Netflix).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaskary77 View Post

can you sign in with myplex on chromecast, which connects to a server across the internet?

If your plex app on the phone can access it, so do Chromecast. Keep in mind, Chomecast totally rely upon the corresponding app on your phone to control what it can or can not do.

What I think the biggest downside of Chormecast currently is the lack of stream local (DLNA) network contents. You can work around this by using Plex app and setup a Plex server. But I don't use Plex and hence there is no way to stream any of my network media shares.
post #9 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I wish Chromecast SDK would allow a standard "Desktop" PC application to stream data to it, and not just from phones or the Chrome browser, that would open it up for some real use.
post #10 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 10:29 AM

Liked: 12
I love it and thinking about getting a second one. Streaming 1080p Blu Ray rips to my Son's through Plex, Super HD via Netflix, and Youtube videos via your Tablet, or Phone, no matter the Platform. For the price it was well worth it.
post #11 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 10:42 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Quote:

It is for convenience although typically it gets better streams on Netflix than you can on a phone or tablets (most phones and tablets are only capable of stream SD quality Netflix but Chromecast can stream Super HD quality Netflix).

+1,, I use it on an old lcd that doesn't have any apps in the kids room. The netflix is much better than my htpc wmc
post #12 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0R0 View Post

The netflix is much better than my htpc wmc

Well, that is a pretty low bar you set. WMC Netflix is pretty much the bottom of the barrel.

post #13 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
WMC Netflix is pretty much the bottom of the barrel.

Which still makes no sense to me but regrettably true mad.gif

I know you can connect the chromecast directly to the AVR, but apart from this, does everyone just use a separate device (roku,bluray player, smart tv, etc) to get HD netfix ?
post #14 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

I wish Chromecast SDK would allow a standard "Desktop" PC application to stream data to it, and not just from phones or the Chrome browser, that would open it up for some real use.

You don't stream into the Chromecast. You tell Chromecast where to fetch the video. That's why it is primarily designed to stream from internet and can't really stream local contents without going through some kind of server like Plex server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0R0 View Post

Which still makes no sense to me but regrettably true mad.gif

WMC Netflix plugin is limited to 720p max and stereo audio IIRC.
Quote:
I know you can connect the chromecast directly to the AVR, but apart from this, does everyone just use a separate device (roku,bluray player, smart tv, etc) to get HD netfix ?

I use BD players to get HD Netflix. Chromecast is just a toy for me. No real usage because the lack of remote support.
post #15 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

You don't stream into the Chromecast. You tell Chromecast where to fetch the video. That's why it is primarily designed to stream from internet and can't really stream local contents without going through some kind of server like Plex server.

My Application has HLS streaming capability, and with the companion Android app, Chrome Cast can play those streams. But all I want is the desktop application to also dispatch videos to the TV instead of being required to get the phone to do it.
post #16 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

That is really up to Google to open up a SDK for PC application. I maybe wrong but I just don't see that happening. Chrome app, maybe. Windows app, no way. That's just how Google operates.
post #17 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 02:31 PM

Liked: 10
good, looking to add Chromecast support to InstaTV Pro to stream live TV with HDHomeRun Plus...
post #18 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Keep us updated here. This could have some very interesting implications...

post #19 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:

WMC Netflix plugin is limited to 720p max and stereo audio IIRC.
I use BD players to get HD Netflix. Chromecast is just a toy for me. No real usage because the lack of remote support.

The thing about Chromecast is that there's no real "home screen". It just sits there and waits for your command. No icons to click or menu options. It's waiting for whatever you "fling" to it. With that said I can now understand the need to use a tablet or phone. A remote would be pointless, unless said remote had an interface to access Netflix, Hulu, HBO, etc etc. The remote would need rmenu options to access content. Well your mobile devices already have that interface built in.
post #20 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

No, once a content started streaming, the controlling devices like phone or tablet is no longer necessary. It would be nice if it can accept IR commands like play, FF, REW, Pause or stop. Not asking for it to get content.
post #21 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 04:16 PM

Again, no need because you control it with your mobile device. Maybe in the future they can incorporate a separate IR blaster to the USB port but I'm with google on this one, KISS. No need to further complicate an already cheap device. You'll have users complaining about their remotes not being compatible, and not everyone owns a Harmony Remote.
post #22 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post

Again, no need because you control it with your mobile device.

As I mentioned above, it is very annoying to control it from the mobile device for simple tasks like skip/ff/rew or simply pause for bathroom break or pick up a phone call.

The Android OS on my Nexus 5 automatically kill off the Netflix player after a few minutes of inactivity. So in order to control it, I need to pick up the phone, unlock it, open the Netflix app and drag the bar on phone to FF or REW etc. Very irritating to use, IMO.
post #23 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
how does it separate mobile applications from more robust home theater ones? for instance with vudu I doubt the android or ios apps feature 5.1 sound or higher bitrate. are you stuck with lower resolution audio and video that the mobile app provides?

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #24 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 06:59 PM

Chromecast support Netflix's Super HD, as well as 5.1 Surround if available. This also applies to HBO Go and Google Play. If you connect the Chromecast directly into your Receiver and play a video with 5.1, you will see Dolby Digital Plus. HD Audio Streams and Core DTS will play as PCM. The videos do not stream from your mobile device and are not dependent upon what said device is capable of decoding, Chromecast pulls the stream directly from your internet connection.

It's capable of handling large DVD/BD rips via Plex, but you need a beefy processor to achieve this. All of this achieved though 802.11n speeds, no buffering, no hiccups.
post #25 of 45 Old 02-04-2014, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Android OS on my Nexus 5 automatically kill off the Netflix player after a few minutes of inactivity. So in order to control it, I need to pick up the phone, unlock it, open the Netflix app and drag the bar on phone to FF or REW etc. Very irritating to use, IMO.

That sounds like something the developers of the app could fix to keep it active as long as chrome cast playback is running.
post #26 of 45 Old 02-05-2014, 12:33 AM

I'm really hoping that TiVo and/or Slingbox gets integrated
with Chromecast. I have my TiVo and Slingbox in the main
entertainment room, but I'd like to be able to watch my TiVo
recorded shows on any TV in the house.
post #27 of 45 Old 02-05-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That sounds like something the developers of the app could fix to keep it active as long as chrome cast playback is running.
that will have serious impact on the battery life of your phone. I'm just trying to make a point that control from phone is not as convenient as using a remote. Heck, it doesn't even need to have any IR receiver. Simply support the HDMI-CEC will allow it to receive those common commands from TV via TV's remote.
post #28 of 45 Old 02-05-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

that will have serious impact on the battery life of your phone. I'm just trying to make a point that control from phone is not as convenient as using a remote. Heck, it doesn't even need to have any IR receiver. Simply support the HDMI-CEC will allow it to receive those common commands from TV via TV's remote.

Doesn't seem much different than the many remote control solutions that already exist such as iRule and Roomie. The movie isn't playing on your phone, all it has to do is send IP control commands to the Chromecast. That uses about as much battery as checking for an email in the background.

From what I can tell the Chromecast does support HDMI-CEC since I would hit Play in the app and it would turn on my TV, AVR, and switch to the correct inputs.

post #29 of 45 Old 02-05-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

that will have serious impact on the battery life of your phone.

Don't have to keep the phone on, but at least the app could add itself in the notification area and lock screen for easy access.
post #30 of 45 Old 02-05-2014, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't have to keep the phone on, but at least the app could add itself in the notification area and lock screen for easy access.
It does but still require PIN unlock the phone, touch the notification area to bring out the Netflix app and drag on a little slide bar to skip forward or backward. Very inconvenient to use.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page