Why won't Netflix make the Windows 8 app remote/keyboard friendly? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 02-07-2014, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
A little while ago I could control play/pause with my WMC remote control but they removed this for some unknown reason. This was better than nothing but why won't they make some simple changes to make navigation and playback easily controllable with a remote? Is there someone that will listen that we can bother about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-07-2014, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I wish it worked too, it is very nice otherwise. Seems like it would be fairly simple since the Xbox app supports this.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-08-2014, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I don't think it's that simple. I have yet to see a Metro app that is fully remote friendly.

I think there's something in the Microsoft API or coding framework that makes it impossible or at least very hard to do.
post #4 of 17 Old 02-08-2014, 03:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Full control of Metro and apps via a remote control would be a big step forward to considering 8 as a viable HTPC solution. Guess it was never in MS's plans.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-08-2014, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

A little while ago I could control play/pause with my WMC remote control but they removed this for some unknown reason. This was better than nothing but why won't they make some simple changes to make navigation and playback easily controllable with a remote? Is there someone that will listen that we can bother about this?

They actually *removed* it?? Weak. Poor remote support is a big factor keeping me off 8.1. No 1080p and 5.1 support for Netflix in '7' is a major bummer.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-08-2014, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

I don't think it's that simple. I have yet to see a Metro app that is fully remote friendly.

I think there's something in the Microsoft API or coding framework that makes it impossible or at least very hard to do.

The Plex and MediaBrowser Metro apps don't have remote support? I haven't tried them, but just assumed they did.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-09-2014, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rob3 View Post

The Plex and MediaBrowser Metro apps don't have remote support? I haven't tried them, but just assumed they did.
Don't know about the Plex App, but the MediaBrowser Metro App certainly doesn't. The developer built it for touch, not for use with an MCE remote. See
http://mediabrowser3.com/community/index.php?/topic/4070-remote-navigation-issues-with-windows-81-app/?hl=remote

Geoff Coupe
post #8 of 17 Old 02-09-2014, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22

Just to clarify, there are two standalone Media Browser apps for Windows 8:

Media Browser Theater: This app is remote friendly. You'll need to use a mouse to launch it, but once you do you can navigate around the interface and playback content via your WMC remote.

Media Browser Windows 8.1 app: As gcoupe mentioned, this app is not remote friendly, as it's meant to be used via touch from of the Modern UI.

Case:Fractal Design Node 605
APU:AMD Richland A10-6700
RAM:8GB AMD 1866
Board:ASUS A88XM Plus
Storage:OCZ 256 GB Vector
Optical:Panasonic Slim BDR
PS:Silverstone Strider 550 Gold SFF
Software:WMC8+LAV+madVR+MPC-HC
Input:Logitech K400 mini KB/trackpad+Harmony 720
Output:Sammy 55" S6 LED LCD+Yamaha soundbar
post #9 of 17 Old 02-09-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 250
If media browser theater is just a desktop app, of course it will be remote friendly. There are many of them out there that are remote friendly.

The focus here is about the Netflix Metro app and the lack of remote support. So it seems there is currently no metro app that supports remote. Sounds like a API problem to me.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-11-2014, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

The focus here is about the Netflix Metro app and the lack of remote support. So it seems there is currently no metro app that supports remote. Sounds like a API problem to me.

Navigation might take some work but they already had some playback control before they took it away so that doesn't seem too difficult to add.
post #11 of 17 Old 02-11-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:

Navigation might take some work but they already had some playback control before they took it away so that doesn't seem too difficult to add.
I suspect that was using an unsupported API and MS asked it remove or won't be certified for store. I looked through Windows RT API and there is nothing related to IR commands as far as I can see.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-11-2014, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

I suspect that was using an unsupported API and MS asked it remove or won't be certified for store. I looked through Windows RT API and there is nothing related to IR commands as far as I can see.

It probably responded to "system commands" rather than the IR directly. Note that the Slacker app responds to all the playback commands from my remote (play, pause, next, volume).
post #13 of 17 Old 02-11-2014, 02:42 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner View Post

They actually *removed* it?? Weak. Poor remote support is a big factor keeping me off 8.1. No 1080p and 5.1 support for Netflix in '7' is a major bummer.

I think the best solution is to use both the WMC plug-in and the Metro app. I'll have my remote launch the WMC plug-in, and when I feel like using my Logitech K400, I'll launch the Metro app.
post #14 of 17 Old 02-12-2014, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just tried the brand new Watch ESPN app and it also responds to all the playback controls on my remote so Netflix should at least be able to do this.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-12-2014, 01:07 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

I just tried the brand new Watch ESPN app and it also responds to all the playback controls on my remote so Netflix should at least be able to do this.

How is it? I had no idea there was a WatchESPN app. I just have a link to the website pinned to my Start screen.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-12-2014, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlantNGo View Post

How is it? I had no idea there was a WatchESPN app. I just have a link to the website pinned to my Start screen.

I haven't played with it that much but it seems pretty good. However, there doesn't seem to be any way to search inside the app.
post #17 of 17 Old 07-16-2014, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Angry Terrible

Not only is this possible, but the core Metro Start screen DOES provide full focus cursor and keyboard navigation. This is simply laziness on the part of Netflix for not providing keyboard navigation to the application. Not only that, but this clearly violations ADA Section 508.a requirements for the disabled:

http://www.washington.edu/doit/Broch..._software.html

"When software is designed to run on a system that has a keyboard, product functions shall be executable from a keyboard where the function itself or the result of performing a function can be discerned textually."

I urge each of you to contact Netflix directly and lodge a complaint about this clear violation of ADA standards. Maybe they'll stop being lazy and update the application to work like the rest of Windows 8 Metro does or the XBox Metro interface for that matter.
Reply Home Theater Computers