Is there any way to convert DTS-MA to Mkv or MP4 with no loss in sound quality? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 02-08-2014, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Hello,

Is there any program such as bytecopy or makeMKV that I can convert to my hard drive for playback on my Oppo that will keep the audioquality as good as DTS-MA (if the BR comes with a DTS-MA track). I have hundreds of BR disc and a thousand DVDs and frankly I don't have the space in my apartment for them any more. Converting my DVDs will be fine but I'd like to keep the high quality of my BR discs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 02-08-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Depends if your oppo can playback mkv with hd audio
post #3 of 40 Old 02-08-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 121
You already named the tool to use, MakeMKV can convert the discs 1:1 without any loss in quality.
post #4 of 40 Old 02-08-2014, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I think MakeMKV only makes 1:1 copies.
post #5 of 40 Old 02-08-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

I think MakeMKV only makes 1:1 copies.

Nah, it also has some conversion functionality for Audio. Admittedly only to other lossless formats, specifically FLAC or LPCM, but still a conversion. biggrin.gif
post #6 of 40 Old 02-08-2014, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I have an Oppo 103 if it matters.

Thanks - so MKV can be lossless?

I've tried makemkv and it seems to have some lip sync issue with BR discs. I just tried bytecopy and the audio sync is fine but I'm not sure if it is 100% lossless as I don't know if MKVs or MP4 can have full audio.
post #7 of 40 Old 02-08-2014, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 48
mkv can. you can also convert to flac losslessly, but you need an extra file to do so.
post #8 of 40 Old 02-09-2014, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB View Post

mkv can. you can also convert to flac losslessly, but you need an extra file to do so.

Thanks - I didn't know mkv files could be lossless for audio.
post #9 of 40 Old 02-09-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #10 of 40 Old 02-09-2014, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Does makemkv create 7.1 audio playback?
post #11 of 40 Old 02-09-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Thanks. Does makemkv create 7.1 audio playback?

Yes. If it was/is on the disc.
post #12 of 40 Old 02-09-2014, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Yes. If it was/is on the disc.
Thanks. Unfortunately I can no longer test MakeMKV. I tested it back when it was 1.6x and it had all kinds of audio sync issues with BR. I tried uninstalling the old version and installing the new version to see if it got any better but it tells me the expiration period has past. Bytecopy isn't giving me the sync issues but I'm still playing with it and am getting good info here on the limits of MKV capabilities.
post #13 of 40 Old 02-09-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Again. Look at my guide. I show you how to do everything including updating the code each month.
post #14 of 40 Old 02-09-2014, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I went to http://assassinhtpcblog.com/new-and-updated-makemkv-guide-posted/ which has a link to http://assassinhtpcblog.com/?page_id=39#guide3 which doesn't seem to go anywhere.
post #15 of 40 Old 02-09-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #16 of 40 Old 02-09-2014, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Thanks! That worked! I'll try making an MKV now and see if it is any better on the sync. ByteCopy auto selects just the movie track for me. Is there an easy way of just selecting the movie instead of individually unselecting everything that isn't the movie in MakeMKV?
post #17 of 40 Old 02-09-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #18 of 40 Old 02-09-2014, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Thanks. It might be staring me in the face but I don't see a way to set the default for all discs to be movie only and highest audio available -e .g. 7.1

It did a great job of converting though - no audio sync issue this time.
post #19 of 40 Old 02-10-2014, 03:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks. It might be staring me in the face but I don't see a way to set the default for all discs to be movie only and highest audio available -e .g. 7.1

It did a great job of converting though - no audio sync issue this time.

You have to expand the selected movie in makemkv and change it. Takes about 5 seconds.
boe likes this.
post #20 of 40 Old 02-10-2014, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Is there any way to make it always select it on its own. E.g. I set all of it up in Hellboy 2 - just the movie, Audio DTS-MA 7.1 save settings. Then my girlfriend puts in Amadeus and it automatically knows to select just the movie and True HD 5.1, then puts in Captain America and it automatically switches back to just the movie and audio DTS-MA 7.1...

I realize it isn't that bad but she's not very comfortable with computers and if I can automate it just a tad, it would be great.
post #21 of 40 Old 02-10-2014, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 56
@ Assassin - OMG... :-)
post #22 of 40 Old 02-10-2014, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:

I realize it isn't that bad but she's not very comfortable with computers and if I can automate it just a tad, it would be great.

Where automation won't work is capturing forced subtitles. Movies that subtitle a foreign language track can do it one of three ways
-"burn" it into the picture (called hard coding). this means the subtitle is actually part of the picture and it will definitely be there no matter what

-forced but on its own track. this means that one of the subtitle tracks on the disc is set to automatically display foreign language parts of films. but if you don't save this track to your
mkv, it will not be there and will not show up

-forced as part of the main subtitle track. this means that the subtitle track for parts of the movie spoken in foreign languages is a subset of the main subtitle track. saving the entire track isn't what you want because it will display subs constantly. makemkv is pretty good at discerning where the forced subs get turned on, so it only saves that portion of the track, and leaves that on by default.

There is a large thread and googledoc sheet about what kind of subtitling different movies have to help you rip, but its definitely not automateable - unless you want to save everything.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #23 of 40 Old 02-10-2014, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I've been skimming through your hardware guide and it has me thinking about building a HTPC - very interesting. Thanks. Since I'm in no rush, I'll probably wait for the broadwell CPUs to come out. I'm tossing around different video cards but by the time broadwell comes out there may be a better choice. The remote part will be interesting since I've never built a PC that supports an IR remote.

Pittersoccer - thanks for the - no interest in subtitles (or foreign films). I just want to make it as simple as basically tossing in the disc, and then clicking on convert without having to select movie only or the best audio (but getting those two items).
post #24 of 40 Old 02-10-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pittersoccer - thanks for the - no interest in subtitles (or foreign films). I just want to make it as simple as basically tossing in the disc, and then clicking on convert without having to select movie only or the best audio (but getting those two items).

Its not just foreign films though - films as diverse as Avatar and the Avengers both have sections of the movie in foreign languages. If you didn't include any subtitle tracks at all in your mkv file you would miss the Navi language parts in Avatar and the Russian part in the Avengers.
boe likes this.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
post #25 of 40 Old 02-10-2014, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

Its not just foreign films though - films as diverse as Avatar and the Avengers both have sections of the movie in foreign languages. If you didn't include any subtitle tracks at all in your mkv file you would miss the Navi language parts in Avatar and the Russian part in the Avengers.

Very interesting - I figured those subtitles would be part of the film - that no subtitle track would be present.
post #26 of 40 Old 02-10-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Like I said, sometimes they are.

On the Lord of the Rings blurays, any time someone speaks Elfish or whatever its called that is actually a burned in part of the picture. Theres no getting rid of it no matter what.

On some movies you need to select an entire subtitle track and keep it. I think I remember Argo being like this. There are some parts of the film where Arabic is spoken. there were two English subtitle tracks - the "main" one that had everything subtitled, and a secondary one that only subtitled the Arabic parts.

Then like I said the third option is to "force" part of the main subtitle track to turn itself on during spoken foreign languages.

MakeMKV has an option to detect any forced subs. But you still need to know whether to be including the forced section of a subtitle track or a separate entire track.
boe likes this.

My HTPC front end set up
post #27 of 40 Old 02-10-2014, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I just want to thank you guys again for bringing me forward on understanding MKVs a bit more. Very helpful!!!
post #28 of 40 Old 02-10-2014, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 86
If you've got hundreds of blurays + a thousand DVDs to rip then the other thing you might want to consider that no one has mentioned yet is that you'll need a pretty substantial server to store all that and so depending on your budget and personal tastes you might want to think about whether you want to keep the full uncompressed rips from MakeMKV or whether you want to run them through Handbrake to compress the files and save space. If you do choose to use Handbrake you can still keep the all the HD audio tracks (including TrueHD and LPCM even though Handbrake doesn't support them, by using MKVMerge to mux the those tracks back in to the compressed video file). It would take a lot of time (and I do mean A LOT, since each bluray can take 3+ hours to run through Handbrake) however the benefit is you could cut your hard drive budget by half or more with no discernable loss in quality.

A lot of folks here would tell you not to even think about it and just keep the full uncompressed rips and if you agree with that and have the money for the extra hard drives then go for it and god bless. I just wanted to let you know there is a way to save a lot of money and keep the quality you want (including all HD audio tracks) at the same time if you've got the patience for it.
post #29 of 40 Old 02-10-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Thanks. For now I'll be storing them on my server - 7x4TB Raid 5 - about 21.5TB usable. I've only got about 550 BR - 20x550= about 11TB - I also have TONS of TV shows - about 8TB (already on the drives) and then I have the DVDs. I figure by the time I actually get all of this converted, it will be a couple of years from now - hopefully by then we'll have 8TB drives at a reasonable price and I can upgrade my storage solution.

It takes about 20 minutes to convert a BR with makemkv. I wish it could take advantage of the GPU for faster backup like bytecopy. I've sent an email to them about the bug in their software on conversions quite right. If they don't fix it, I'll stick with makemkv.
post #30 of 40 Old 02-10-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

MakeMKV is only limited by the read speed of your Blu-ray drive. Can't really make it faster much.
Mfusick likes this.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page