Building 1st HTPC - Feedback on ITX with built in video - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-09-2014, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I want to upgrade my WD Live and old brite-view streaming boxes.

I'm looking into ITX because I need it to site on the fireplace ledge otherwise they kids with destroy it.  Most ITX are intel integrated graphic chipset

Anyone have any experiences with built in video playback on these boxes?

Looking at ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe if anyone has any experiences.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-09-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Have you looked at an Intel NUC or Gigabyte Brix?
post #3 of 8 Old 02-09-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 144
There are a few mini-ITX build threads here like:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1515422/haswell-i3-mini-itx-runs-much-cooler-than-expected
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1407043/realan-e-i5-e-i7-mini-itx-case-builds

These all use Intel or AMD integrated graphics. I would say a large percentage of modern HTPCs use built-in graphics with discrete cards used for advanced video processing, gaming or to turn an older PC into an HTPC. Modern integrated GPUs can play 1080p video with no problem. Most mini-ITX motherboards these days have HDMI output.

What do you plan on doing with your HTPC? Right off I will say the P8Z77-I while it's a nice board is a monster with a big VRM card that's going to limit your possibilities for getting something that can fit on a shelf. I think too with the newer generation CPUs (LGA1150) being priced the same as the previous (LGA1155 which the Z77 supports) and motherboards being about the same price but there being more mini-ITX choices in the newest generation, that's the way to go.

There are lots of possibilities even in little ITX builds.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Unless you have a really deep fireplace ledge then I would go with Assassin's advice and look at a NUC or BRIX first. Any version + windows (for Neflix streaming) would be able to replace your current machines and they are tiny.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-10-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I velcro-ed my NUC to the back of my plasma. Kids can't reach it that way. I ran a USB extension cable to the bottom of the plasma so the RF dongle is out of site at the bottom edge.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-10-2014, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

I was originally planning on an itx case with 2x 1.5tb drives mirrored for redundancy. And sell off bulky file server that sits in the basement. Right now at 2/3 capacity.

I plan mostly to play downloaded content, maybe Netflix. Wasn't planning on making this a DVr. Don't need an optical.
The brix and Nuc show promise but, they are pricy for a system that still needs ram and hard disk. If would be at 299 + $70 for ram and $100 for msata drive. And then I'm locked into hardware. Then I still need my basement server. Itx I can part out and rebuild configuration as technology changes.

My dish network box is making funky noises so I'm hoping to build this before the drive crashes.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-10-2014, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

I will steal the Velcro idea.
I was originally going to "L" bracket it to the wall.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-11-2014, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 86
For the amount of storage you want in the HTPC you should check out the build that StardogChampion suggested in the thread "What Is the Cheapest HTPC Possible?" It's even less expensive than a Celeron NUC and would work just as well for your purposes + room for 3 hard drives (I assume you'll want Windows running on a SSD in addition to the 2 drives for storage). And BTW if you were keeping your server and didn't need storage in the HTPC also then you could get a NUC that would work for you for half the total cost you mentioned above. You seem hesitant about integrated graphics and from the $299 base price you mentioned for the NUC I assume you're looking at an i3 which is great but probably also overkill for what you need if you're really trying to stay on a budget. A celeron or pentium with integrated graphics will also do you just fine.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page