post #31 of 50 Old 02-11-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmuke View Post

Do we need a dedicated PC for Homerun prime? I have just started reading about this and am looking to replace my FIOS setup box.
I was planning to get Homerun prime but am not sure if I need dedicated PC that is on all the time. I don't care about dvr/recording functionality. All I need is a replacement for setup box.
So, as I understand I will have to buy Homerun prime along with xbox/ps3 as extender.
Does it make sense to buy used TIVO from ebay with lifetime subscription? Also, do we need subscription if I don't need DVR functionality of TIVO?

You need a PC running Windows Media Center for the Prime as well as to connect the extenders.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 02-11-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:

Do we need a dedicated PC for Homerun prime? I have just started reading about this and am looking to replace my FIOS setup box.
I was planning to get Homerun prime but am not sure if I need dedicated PC that is on all the time. I don't care about dvr/recording functionality. All I need is a replacement for setup box.
So, as I understand I will have to buy Homerun prime along with xbox/ps3 as extender.
Does it make sense to buy used TIVO from ebay with lifetime subscription? Also, do we need subscription if I don't need DVR functionality of TIVO?

An Xbox 360 remotely connects to a PC running Windows Media Center to access live/recorded tv. So to use a 360 basically means you need WMC running on a computer.

The Prime is also DLNA certified device. This means two things
-you can play "copy freely" marked channels on any DLNA device that supports MPEG2 video and AC3 audio
-you can play all channels on a device that supports DTCP-IP as well as MPEG2 video and AC3 audio. This is where you can use a PS3, some Panasonic smart televisions, and probably some other devices.

using WMC/360 will give you a full guide that looks like this:

using any DLNA device will give you a list of channels that looks roughly like this:
coolmuke likes this.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #33 of 50 Old 02-11-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Xbox 360s don't get louder as they get older. That's only the case if you have the older generations of those boxes. If that's case, they eventually will die of RROD due to overheating. The newer Xbox Arcade or the later slim versions are quite silent and don't get loud even after many years of use like I have (2 Slim and 1 Arcade).

Echo is a POS. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. I have one and it is only used on a PC monitor because I just can't trust it to be my main TV watching device.
post #34 of 50 Old 02-11-2014, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you all.
Looks like I will need - Homerun + Win PC+Extender. I have laptop with win 7 but don't know if its good idea to keep it up all the time.
Maybe TIVO might work better? Used ones are about $300 on ebay with lifetime subscription. Why does everyone prefer Homerun VS TiVo? cost factor?
post #35 of 50 Old 02-11-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you all.
Looks like I will need - Homerun + Win PC+Extender. I have laptop with win 7 but don't know if its good idea to keep it up all the time.
Maybe TIVO might work better? Used ones are about $300 on ebay with lifetime subscription. Why does everyone prefer Homerun VS TiVo? cost factor?

I'm not sure of a single person in this HTPC forum that would prefer a TiVo. Your Win7 laptop doesn't need to be up all the time, WMC can wake it to record shows when needed. Personally, I leave all my devices (two laptops, HTPC, and server) on 24/7. I'd rather pay the extra $10/year and not deal with sleep/wake issues.

post #36 of 50 Old 02-11-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I'm not sure of a single person in this HTPC forum that would prefer a TiVo. Your Win7 laptop doesn't need to be up all the time, WMC can wake it to record shows when needed. Personally, I leave all my devices (two laptops, HTPC, and server) on 24/7. I'd rather pay the extra $10/year and not deal with sleep/wake issues.
extra $10/year for???

I am now almost convinced to go for Homerun. Next step - look for xbox on ebay.
What remote do we have to use to change channels? Homerun remote or XBOX remote?
post #37 of 50 Old 02-11-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

xbox or wmc remote (which you could find dirt cheap and any mom and pop place that sells used video games). they are actually different but the xbox can be set up to use either.

you can also program a universal remote to handle it.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
post #38 of 50 Old 02-11-2014, 12:03 PM

Dumb question - How will WMC remote work if the laptop is in different room?
post #39 of 50 Old 02-11-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It won't unless you get an RF remote, IP device, or IR extender. Why would the laptop be in a different room than the display? For the extender you don't need a remote to control the WMC laptop, you use the remote to control the extender.
coolmuke likes this.

post #40 of 50 Old 02-11-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

this is how the system works

1) cable comes into the house via coax and connects to the HDHR Prime

2) the Prime is connected via ethernet to your home network

3) your pc running running WMC is connected to your home network, giving it access to the Prime

4) your WMC extender/Xbox is connected to your network as well. it is plugged into the tv you want to watch

5) you boot the 360 into extender mode on your tv (which creates a remote session on your pc). you can then change channels and watch tv.

each WMC extender/Xbox you would add creates an addition remote session on the PC. you can also simply watch on the laptop or on a tv/monitor connected to the laptop, negating the need for an extender in the first place.
coolmuke likes this.

My HTPC front end set up
post #41 of 50 Old 02-11-2014, 12:15 PM

Thank you everyone and sorry for so many questions. I did search a lot to find something for dummies before posting questions.
post #42 of 50 Old 02-11-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Don't forget all network connections need to be wired connection. Wireless in most cases won't work reliably.
post #43 of 50 Old 02-11-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Don't forget all network connections need to be wired connection. Wireless in most cases won't work reliably.

You've done it now! Time for the "Wi-Fi works fine in my house" posts.
gewbert likes this.

post #44 of 50 Old 02-11-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:

if you dont need a guide or DVR you dont need a pc, all you need is a DNLA client (  like the PS3) which will work.  but it wont work well ( for example changing channels is all menu based, you cant just enter numbers to tune to that chanel, no guide etc)

I know this because I did use my ps3 as such a client while I was building my htpc.  In my opinion its far from ideal and if you can swing a WMC pc it makes the whole experience so much better.  For a while I had both cable card and a motorola PVR during the " test" period, once the novelty of the prime wore off, I often reverted to the pvr.  When I got WMC going the PVR went back to the cable company.

post #45 of 50 Old 02-12-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Yes. I have my whole house wired.
post #46 of 50 Old 02-13-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

The remote controls the xbox/extender, which controls the laptop over the network.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #47 of 50 Old 02-16-2014, 01:16 AM

Liked: 12
I have both the Echo and last two models of XBox 360.

The Echo is gathering dust. We spent months alpha testing those things with the expectation they'd be able to do various fantastic things in the future.

The XBox units have been great. Money well spent -- especially when on sale.
post #48 of 50 Old 02-16-2014, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Question for you guys with multiple Xbox's. Do you have to have a separate Xbox Live account for each one. I only use ours for MCE, but want to add Amazon streaming and ESPN streaming, but that requires a Live acct. We also want to add a second unit. Not worth it if the cost doubles though

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk
post #49 of 50 Old 02-16-2014, 06:36 AM

Liked: 11
The $99 Walmart black Friday one. 4GB, near-silent. Perfect for me.

If you plan on using multiple xboxs at the same time, using features that require Live at the same time, yes, you'd need multiple accounts. I'm in a 2 person house, so avoiding that is easy for me.