Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 52 Old 02-18-2014, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 43
AnandTech HTPC analysis.

Looks pretty decent for a full height card.

No full H.265 decoding, but who knows when that will be.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 02-18-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 40
No HQV benchmarks ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 52 Old 02-18-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 827
I see the reviewer agrees with me on a few things:
Quote:
But on a competitive basis things are not so solidly in NVIDIA’s favor. NVIDIA does not always attempt to compete with AMD on a price/performance basis in the mainstream market, as their brand and retail presence gives them something they can bank on even when they don’t have the performance advantage. In this case NVIDIA has purposely chosen to forgo chasing AMD for the price/performance lead, and as such for the price the GeForce GTX 750 cards are the weaker products. Radeon R7 265 holds a particularly large 19% lead over GTX 750 Ti, and in fact wins at every single benchmark. Similarly, Radeon R7 260X averages a 10% lead over GTX 750, and it does so while having 2GB of VRAM to GTX 750’s 1GB.

On a pure price/performance basis, the GTX 750 series is not competitive. If you’re in the sub-$150 market and looking solely at performance, the Radeon R7 260 series will be the way to go. But this requires forgoing NVIDIA’s ecosystem and their power efficiency advantage; if either of those matter to you, then the lower performance of the NVIDIA cards will justify their other advantages. With that said however, we will throw in an escape clause: NVIDIA has hard availability today, while AMD’s Radeon R7 265 cards are still not due for about another 2 weeks. Furthermore it’s not at all clear if retailers will hold to their $149 MSRP due to insane demand from cryptocoin miners; if that happens then NVIDIA’s competition is diminished or removed entirely, and NVIDIA wins on price/performance by default.

I guess this card makes sense since it's power efficient and it does not require a PCI express power plug or external PSU power as it can be powered from only the PCI express slot- This is attractive to people who want to put a video card in a retail purchased PC like a Dell or whatever that does not have power plugs on the PSU. But I can't think of any good PSU I would want to buy for a HTPC build that does not have PCI express power (at least one). Even cheap PSU in the $29/$39 range have this.

Add in the fact the Nvidia won't do 0-255 levels on the HDMI outputs without hacking or registry tweaking and perhaps not such a good choice for HTPC or for MadVR. Intel already does a rock-solid 23.976 Hz support in Haswell, and the review claims the Nvidia does 23.971 Hz out of the box. I think if I wanted a good HTPC GPU I would want perfect frame rates and also good madVR support- and the fact that the $149 R265X Radeon does 0-255 levels right out of the box and is about 20% faster across the board makes me think it's a better choice.

You can get a $89 R260 that is as fast as the Nvidia 750, so unless Nvidia wants to lower the price a bit I think many will pass on the merits it's not a good deal relatively speaking. If I did not have a PSU with PCI express power plugs I think buying a RADEON and spending another $35 on a PSU that has them is still cheaper and also more performance for the money spent. The only problem is if the litecoin and bitcoin mining keeps driving up the prices on the AMD cards then they might end up selling over MSRP and basically the same as the Nvidia cards which makes things harder to decide.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 52 Old 02-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
the h265 decoder is pretty cool, even if it is just partial. I don't consider the 23.971 hz thing to be a big deal, cause of reclock. The 16-235 hdmi out seems like it would be really annoying though.
post #5 of 52 Old 02-18-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 334
I'm more frustrated by the 128-bit bus width. It would be nice if nVidia would release more middle-of-the-road cards that are suitable for both HTPC and gaming purposes without needing a card that draws ~200W. I can't find TDP figures on nVidia's older cards, but judging by the number of power cables they needed, they had lower power demands than the top-of-the-line cards do today.
post #6 of 52 Old 02-18-2014, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I wonder if GTX 750Ti can handle nnedi3 upscale to 1440p
post #7 of 52 Old 02-19-2014, 05:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post

I wonder if GTX 750Ti can handle nnedi3 upscale to 1440p

I think you want more card for that...

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #8 of 52 Old 02-19-2014, 09:07 AM

ok, I will wait for 850. =)

I think we should change "can it run crysis" to "can it run 256 neurons?"
Gadgety1 likes this.
post #9 of 52 Old 02-20-2014, 06:04 PM

Liked: 13
At least nvidia is doing something when AMD just throws more hardware at the problem.
Even though Maxwell isn't a huge step in some things like Fermi to Kepler was but in other things it's a huge step. Did you see the freaking performance per watt figures? We're in for an interesting year people.
What does AMD do?
zHOilTgh2G.png

power_peak.gif
metro_lastlight_5760_1080.gif

Oh and don't go touching that voltage slider on an AMD Hawaii, that power consumption will go through the roof and you'll be needing a Kashiwazaki-Kariwa in your backyard.

372973_241656462570496_354667456_n.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
| Also Anandtech AVForums DIYAudio Head-Fi XDA-Developers e-Savuke ECF VFF VaporWall VapePit & etceteros

post #10 of 52 Old 02-21-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey stranger ! Haven't seen you in a while.
lagittaja likes this.

-

post #11 of 52 Old 02-21-2014, 02:48 PM

Liked: 25
Well, I am hoping for a low profile single slot card that does not require additional power. So far the best you can get is Radeon 7750 which is quite underpowered for any decent gaming.

With 750/750ti you can certainly make such a card - and hopefully even a fanless one. Right now I have a fanless Radeon HD6450 and while it is great as a silent card, it is incapable of any gaming at 1080p.

If you look at power settings, the 750/750ti are tied with R7 250 for power consumption and R7 250 is weak.

Here's wishing for a fanless single slot 750i for my HTPC in 2014 smile.gif
post #12 of 52 Old 02-22-2014, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Hey stranger ! Haven't seen you in a while.

ohai
Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post

Well, I am hoping for a low profile single slot card that does not require additional power. So far the best you can get is Radeon 7750 which is quite underpowered for any decent gaming.

With 750/750ti you can certainly make such a card - and hopefully even a fanless one. Right now I have a fanless Radeon HD6450 and while it is great as a silent card, it is incapable of any gaming at 1080p.

If you look at power settings, the 750/750ti are tied with R7 250 for power consumption and R7 250 is weak.

Here's wishing for a fanless single slot 750i for my HTPC in 2014 smile.gif

There ya go
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b2791/galaxy-gtx-750-ti-oc.html
Or if someone living in Europe
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b2803/kfa2-gtx-750-ti-oc.html

Unfortunately right now it's looking like there won't be any passive GM107 cards
http://www.computerbase.de/news/2014-02/geforce-gtx-750-ti-keine-passive-kuehlung-in-sicht/
And while I'm at it, could there really be a passive low profile GM107 card? 5xSMM 750 Ti? Oh hell no. Even the 4xSMM 750 might be a stretch.
Sure these are low power and don't need much cooling but the TDP of these are 60W and 55W.
Your 6450 has a TDP of under 20W. More accurately the 5450 has a max TDP of 19.1W and the 6450 has 18W, that's less than a third of the TDP of 750 Ti

If you want a Maxwell based, low profile card and passive, then I would suggest you wait for the GM108 to arrive. Which happens when? I haven't got the slightest. Might be couple of weeks or might be couple of months. You might wanna occasionally check www.techpowerup.com/gpudb and see if there have been made new additions.
And there's no word whether those will be available in retail or not. I hope they would come and replace GTX650, GT640 and 630.

|
| Also Anandtech AVForums DIYAudio Head-Fi XDA-Developers e-Savuke ECF VFF VaporWall VapePit & etceteros

post #13 of 52 Old 02-22-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Add in the fact the Nvidia won't do 0-255 levels on the HDMI outputs without hacking or registry tweaking and perhaps not such a good choice for HTPC or for MadVR.

You seem to not know that madVR comes with a tiny tool to just make NVIDIA cards output 0-255, no manual hackery required. tongue.gif

My experience with AMD is also not very glamorous, I had to change like every setting in their control panel before it behaved sanely, so much for out of the box. smile.gif
post #14 of 52 Old 02-22-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

You seem to not know that madVR comes with a tiny tool to just make NVIDIA cards output 0-255, no manual hackery required. tongue.gif

My experience with AMD is also not very glamorous, I had to change like every setting in their control panel before it behaved sanely, so much for out of the box. smile.gif

But not every Nvidia owner uses MADVR. You can have Nvidia card and use for HTPC and not use for MADVR.

Generally AMD is cheaper and also works better on MADVR anyways. I think the old problems with AMD are a great point you make but I haven't had much problems with new cards.

-

post #15 of 52 Old 02-22-2014, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 48
you don't have to use madvr, you just use the tool that comes with madvr.
post #16 of 52 Old 02-22-2014, 07:56 PM

Is the performance difference in MadVR significant to go from 270X to 280X? I am deciding which one to get now, it seems AMD is indeed better than nVidia at this moment.
post #17 of 52 Old 02-22-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, these have a heatsink that takes up two slots worth of space (well, one and a half). They are similar to a Zotac 650 I tried and returned recently.

What I like for my small form factor PCs is a card like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131509
post #18 of 52 Old 02-23-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 112
You want low profile and single slot? Well good luck finding a wide variety of good cards there. tongue.gif
post #19 of 52 Old 02-23-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, these have a heatsink that takes up two slots worth of space (well, one and a half). They are similar to a Zotac 650 I tried and returned recently.

Oh yeah, didn't think of that.
Keep an eye on Coloful then. They might do a card like that. They always manage to pull off some crazy designs but the cards might be a little bit hard to obtain though.

www.colorfun.cn brace yourselves for slow page loading

|

post #20 of 52 Old 02-23-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagittaja View Post

Oh yeah, didn't think of that.
Keep an eye on Coloful then. They might do a card like that. They always manage to pull off some crazy designs but the cards might be a little bit hard to obtain though.

www.colorfun.cn brace yourselves for slow page loading

I'll bookmark them for the future, thanks. For now I am doing OK with Radeon 7750.
post #21 of 52 Old 02-25-2014, 10:58 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

They attached a huge heat-sink not because it is required, it's just because they're not very smart. I attached my own heat-sink to GTX 650 (I used a low profile CPU cooler) and now successfully use it in my HTPC. I plan to do the same with GTX 750. But so far Galaxy launched a low profile GTX 750 only on paper.

post #22 of 52 Old 02-25-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patulus View Post

They attached a huge heat-sink not because it is required, it's just because they're not very smart. I attached my own heat-sink to GTX 650 (I used a low profile CPU cooler) and now successfully use it in my HTPC. I plan to do the same with GTX 750. But so far Galaxy launched a low profile GTX 750 only on paper.

Did you buy a new GPU cooler or did you use a spare old one lying around? If you bought one, which one?
post #23 of 52 Old 02-25-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:

Did you buy a new GPU cooler or did you use a spare old one lying around? If you bought one, which one?

I used a CPU cooler, not GPU. Yes, it was something laying around, I don't remember the exact model. A low profile cooler with a very thin fan. I had to drill holes and tap thread of course in order to attach it. But the result is amazing: I slowed down the fan to several hundred RPMs, it's absolutely noiseless, yet under the full load the GPU temperature is hardly above 50 °C.

post #24 of 52 Old 02-25-2014, 12:20 PM

What case do you have durack?

|

post #25 of 52 Old 02-26-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagittaja View Post

What case do you have durack?

RIght now this one.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1518647/new-build-using-in-win-h-frame-mini
post #26 of 52 Old 02-26-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:

RIght now this one.

Very elegant. I like InWin, however my experience with small InWin cases was too loud PSUs. Also one InWin mini-ITX case had a PSU that couldn't provide enough current for the MB in contrast to its specs. How about yours?

post #27 of 52 Old 02-26-2014, 07:37 AM

The PSU in this one is fanless so it is silent. I had my worries about it because it seems quite wimpy on paper, however I have two machines built with this case so far - and they both run flawlessly.
The first one is my son's PC - has Radeon 7750 and Haswell i3-4130 without any crashes or other issues.
The other one (the HTPC) has Ivy Bridge i5-3340 with fanless Asus Radeon HD 6450 - once again no issues.

I love InWin cases - may not be the most practical but are the most original looking.

I have the full size H-frame for my main PC

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108431

and the D-frame as a "Steambox" gaming PC

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108437
post #28 of 52 Old 02-26-2014, 07:49 AM

Cool. It seems like they hired new designers. I remember in the past InWin cases were quite plane. I'll maybe consider a new case for my HTPC.

post #29 of 52 Old 02-26-2014, 11:10 AM

Oh dear lord the price of that thing with a few pieces of aluminium biggrin.gif
To each their own I guess. Both my main PC and "HTPC" have the same case, Lian Li PC-A05NB.
The HTPC has a G2120 w/ NH-U12P w/o fan, HD5670* w/ Accelero S1 w/o fan. Seasonic X-400FL (the Platinum fanless) and some LoVo Kingston and so on.
Mobo is DH77EB from Intel, mATX and does it's job.
It has couple of fans, one GT AP-14 (w/ filter) in the back as an intake spinning something like 500rpm and a 800rpm Slip Stream on the front as an exhaust barely spinning, read 200rpm or so.
Could run it completely fanless but whatever. I'll call it near silent, not silent as the relay in a sound card I have makes a click when I put it to sleep/wake it from sleep.

I was contemplating a mITX build for a while but in the end realised I'll rather go with a smaller than average ATX case and a mATX motherboard, keep my options open expansions wise and as to not limit myself in regards to possible cooling methods.

*Just realised I still haven't replaced that thing lol, been talking and thinking about replacing it for so long but still it's there. Good little video card and has served me well. Here's to hoping GM108 cards will be awesome and good low noise cards will show up beer.gif

|

post #30 of 52 Old 03-05-2014, 04:32 PM

I don't understand why many are dissapointed by the 750 Ti performance. it nearly belongs to the mid end category, costs 130Euros and delivers 1080p/high ets/30FPS on most graphics heavy games. For only that price! I mean we can expect some awesome power delivered when the GTX800 arrive and implement a whole lot better the Maxwell architecture.

Also check out a very nice review:
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page