AVS Forum banner

GeForce GTX 750/750 Ti

10K views 57 replies 19 participants last post by  Mfusick 
#1 ·
 AnandTech HTPC analysis.

Looks pretty decent for a full height card.

No full H.265 decoding, but who knows when that will be.

Mr Zoid

#3 ·
I see the reviewer agrees with me on a few things:
Quote:
But on a competitive basis things are not so solidly in NVIDIA’s favor. NVIDIA does not always attempt to compete with AMD on a price/performance basis in the mainstream market, as their brand and retail presence gives them something they can bank on even when they don’t have the performance advantage. In this case NVIDIA has purposely chosen to forgo chasing AMD for the price/performance lead, and as such for the price the GeForce GTX 750 cards are the weaker products. Radeon R7 265 holds a particularly large 19% lead over GTX 750 Ti, and in fact wins at every single benchmark. Similarly, Radeon R7 260X averages a 10% lead over GTX 750, and it does so while having 2GB of VRAM to GTX 750’s 1GB.

On a pure price/performance basis, the GTX 750 series is not competitive. If you’re in the sub-$150 market and looking solely at performance, the Radeon R7 260 series will be the way to go. But this requires forgoing NVIDIA’s ecosystem and their power efficiency advantage; if either of those matter to you, then the lower performance of the NVIDIA cards will justify their other advantages. With that said however, we will throw in an escape clause: NVIDIA has hard availability today, while AMD’s Radeon R7 265 cards are still not due for about another 2 weeks. Furthermore it’s not at all clear if retailers will hold to their $149 MSRP due to insane demand from cryptocoin miners; if that happens then NVIDIA’s competition is diminished or removed entirely, and NVIDIA wins on price/performance by default.

I guess this card makes sense since it's power efficient and it does not require a PCI express power plug or external PSU power as it can be powered from only the PCI express slot- This is attractive to people who want to put a video card in a retail purchased PC like a Dell or whatever that does not have power plugs on the PSU. But I can't think of any good PSU I would want to buy for a HTPC build that does not have PCI express power (at least one). Even cheap PSU in the $29/$39 range have this.

Add in the fact the Nvidia won't do 0-255 levels on the HDMI outputs without hacking or registry tweaking and perhaps not such a good choice for HTPC or for MadVR. Intel already does a rock-solid 23.976 Hz support in Haswell, and the review claims the Nvidia does 23.971 Hz out of the box. I think if I wanted a good HTPC GPU I would want perfect frame rates and also good madVR support- and the fact that the $149 R265X Radeon does 0-255 levels right out of the box and is about 20% faster across the board makes me think it's a better choice.

You can get a $89 R260 that is as fast as the Nvidia 750, so unless Nvidia wants to lower the price a bit I think many will pass on the merits it's not a good deal relatively speaking. If I did not have a PSU with PCI express power plugs I think buying a RADEON and spending another $35 on a PSU that has them is still cheaper and also more performance for the money spent. The only problem is if the litecoin and bitcoin mining keeps driving up the prices on the AMD cards then they might end up selling over MSRP and basically the same as the Nvidia cards which makes things harder to decide.

#5 ·
I'm more frustrated by the 128-bit bus width. It would be nice if nVidia would release more middle-of-the-road cards that are suitable for both HTPC and gaming purposes without needing a card that draws ~200W. I can't find TDP figures on nVidia's older cards, but judging by the number of power cables they needed, they had lower power demands than the top-of-the-line cards do today.

#9 ·
At least nvidia is doing something when AMD just throws more hardware at the problem.

Even though Maxwell isn't a huge step in some things like Fermi to Kepler was but in other things it's a huge step. Did you see the freaking performance per watt figures? We're in for an interesting year people.

What does AMD do?

Oh and don't go touching that voltage slider on an AMD Hawaii, that power consumption will go through the roof and you'll be needing a Kashiwazaki-Kariwa in your backyard.

#11 ·
Well, I am hoping for a low profile single slot card that does not require additional power. So far the best you can get is Radeon 7750 which is quite underpowered for any decent gaming.

With 750/750ti you can certainly make such a card - and hopefully even a fanless one. Right now I have a fanless Radeon HD6450 and while it is great as a silent card, it is incapable of any gaming at 1080p.

If you look at power settings, the 750/750ti are tied with R7 250 for power consumption and R7 250 is weak.

Here's wishing for a fanless single slot 750i for my HTPC in 2014

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1518588/geforce-gtx-750-750-ti#post_24390971

Hey stranger ! Haven't seen you in a while.

ohai
Quote:
Originally Posted by durack  /t/1518588/geforce-gtx-750-750-ti#post_24391171

Well, I am hoping for a low profile single slot card that does not require additional power. So far the best you can get is Radeon 7750 which is quite underpowered for any decent gaming.

With 750/750ti you can certainly make such a card - and hopefully even a fanless one. Right now I have a fanless Radeon HD6450 and while it is great as a silent card, it is incapable of any gaming at 1080p.

If you look at power settings, the 750/750ti are tied with R7 250 for power consumption and R7 250 is weak.

Here's wishing for a fanless single slot 750i for my HTPC in 2014

There ya go
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b2791/galaxy-gtx-750-ti-oc.html

Or if someone living in Europe
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b2803/kfa2-gtx-750-ti-oc.html

Unfortunately right now it's looking like there won't be any passive GM107 cards
http://www.computerbase.de/news/2014-02/geforce-gtx-750-ti-keine-passive-kuehlung-in-sicht/

And while I'm at it, could there really be a passive low profile GM107 card? 5xSMM 750 Ti? Oh hell no. Even the 4xSMM 750 might be a stretch.

Sure these are low power and don't need much cooling but the TDP of these are 60W and 55W.

Your 6450 has a TDP of under 20W. More accurately the 5450 has a max TDP of 19.1W and the 6450 has 18W, that's less than a third of the TDP of 750 Ti

If you want a Maxwell based, low profile card and passive, then I would suggest you wait for the GM108 to arrive. Which happens when? I haven't got the slightest. Might be couple of weeks or might be couple of months. You might wanna occasionally check www.techpowerup.com/gpudb and see if there have been made new additions.

And there's no word whether those will be available in retail or not. I hope they would come and replace GTX650, GT640 and 630.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1518588/geforce-gtx-750-750-ti#post_24376813

Add in the fact the Nvidia won't do 0-255 levels on the HDMI outputs without hacking or registry tweaking and perhaps not such a good choice for HTPC or for MadVR.

You seem to not know that madVR comes with a tiny tool to just make NVIDIA cards output 0-255, no manual hackery required.

My experience with AMD is also not very glamorous, I had to change like every setting in their control panel before it behaved sanely, so much for out of the box.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel  /t/1518588/geforce-gtx-750-750-ti/0_60#post_24394173

You seem to not know that madVR comes with a tiny tool to just make NVIDIA cards output 0-255, no manual hackery required.

My experience with AMD is also not very glamorous, I had to change like every setting in their control panel before it behaved sanely, so much for out of the box.

But not every Nvidia owner uses MADVR. You can have Nvidia card and use for HTPC and not use for MADVR.

Generally AMD is cheaper and also works better on MADVR anyways. I think the old problems with AMD are a great point you make but I haven't had much problems with new cards.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagittaja  /t/1518588/geforce-gtx-750-750-ti#post_24392953

ohai

There ya go
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b2791/galaxy-gtx-750-ti-oc.html

Or if someone living in Europe
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b2803/kfa2-gtx-750-ti-oc.html

Unfortunately, these have a heatsink that takes up two slots worth of space (well, one and a half). They are similar to a Zotac 650 I tried and returned recently.

What I like for my small form factor PCs is a card like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131509

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by durack  /t/1518588/geforce-gtx-750-750-ti#post_24396043

Unfortunately, these have a heatsink that takes up two slots worth of space (well, one and a half). They are similar to a Zotac 650 I tried and returned recently.

Oh yeah, didn't think of that.

Keep an eye on Coloful then. They might do a card like that. They always manage to pull off some crazy designs but the cards might be a little bit hard to obtain though.

www.colorfun.cn brace yourselves for slow page loading

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagittaja  /t/1518588/geforce-gtx-750-750-ti#post_24398654

Oh yeah, didn't think of that.

Keep an eye on Coloful then. They might do a card like that. They always manage to pull off some crazy designs but the cards might be a little bit hard to obtain though.

www.colorfun.cn brace yourselves for slow page loading

I'll bookmark them for the future, thanks. For now I am doing OK with Radeon 7750.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by durack  /t/1518588/geforce-gtx-750-750-ti#post_24396043

They attached a huge heat-sink not because it is required, it's just because they're not very smart. I attached my own heat-sink to GTX 650 (I used a low profile CPU cooler) and now successfully use it in my HTPC. I plan to do the same with GTX 750. But so far Galaxy launched a low profile GTX 750 only on paper.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patulus  /t/1518588/geforce-gtx-750-750-ti#post_24407119

They attached a huge heat-sink not because it is required, it's just because they're not very smart. I attached my own heat-sink to GTX 650 (I used a low profile CPU cooler) and now successfully use it in my HTPC. I plan to do the same with GTX 750. But so far Galaxy launched a low profile GTX 750 only on paper.

Did you buy a new GPU cooler or did you use a spare old one lying around? If you bought one, which one?

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by durack  /t/1518588/geforce-gtx-750-750-ti#post_24407359

Did you buy a new GPU cooler or did you use a spare old one lying around? If you bought one, which one?
I used a CPU cooler, not GPU. Yes, it was something laying around, I don't remember the exact model. A low profile cooler with a very thin fan. I had to drill holes and tap thread of course in order to attach it. But the result is amazing: I slowed down the fan to several hundred RPMs, it's absolutely noiseless, yet under the full load the GPU temperature is hardly above 50 °C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.