First dedicated HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-19-2014, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have been putting computers together for a while now and am making my first HTPC. Other than decent graphics, sound card (going to use it as a pre-amp directly to some Marantz amps), tv and fm tuner (still have not mastered having several tv tuners going to watch one/record another tv program) tuner card and storage...what else is needed?tongue.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-19-2014, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Decent CPU+GPU and a decent amount of RAM to help run your media player programs (XBMC)

I use an AMD APU with my HTPC setup to save space from a graphics card and power consumption. This machine is for watching movies, tv, and live tv, as well as listening to music. It's fully functional with 1080p HD and 5.1 sound. 

I use a bit of overkill on the power supply - 450Watts, but alllows for other expansions. SSD hard drive for quick OS boot and OS functions. 

post #3 of 9 Old 02-19-2014, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Other then decent integrated graphics, its amazing how little you need.
Just make sure the motherboard has the needed outputs.
I built this in 2012...
AMD A6-3500 APU with integrated Radeon HD 6530
ASRock A75M-ITX FM1 Motherboard
G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1333
SAMSUNG DVD Burner
IN WIN BP655.200BL Mini-ITX Desktop Case w/ 200w power supply
Western Digital Black 1.5 TB Hard Drive
Logitech K400 RF wireless keyboard
SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual
It sits under the main TV and is used exclusively for Windows Media Center, Hulu, and light web browsing.
Its been running continuously for a year and a half without missing a beat.
vcrpro3 likes this.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-19-2014, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What i have so far:
Asrock FM2A85X Extreme6 motherboard, AMD A8 5600 APU with XFX HD6670 video card (for AMD Dual Graphics, aka 'crossfire x'), 700 watt psu 8gb DDR3 1600 ram OCZ AMD black edition, Antec Kuhler liquid cooler and Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe sound card. Waiting for ebay purchase of a Hauppauge HVR-1800 and HVR-1600. Going to feed this to a Marantz MM9000 5 channel and SM6100sa amps. I have several LG BD-ROMs on hand-one is a BD/HD Dvd unit.. Everything i have has been either accumulating for a while or was obtained used either on Ebay or Craigslist..only new thing was the case....rolleyes.gif
post #5 of 9 Old 02-21-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What OS are you planning to use? I'm using Windows 8.1 for two reasons only. 1. Since it allows access to the Windows App store, you can install the Netflix and Hulu+ apps that are not available on Windows 7. And 2nd, I got it as a gift. If I had to pay for it, thing would be different.
Windows 8 is a fine touch UI, but not a great 10 foot UI. Plus, Media Center is now a paid add-on. It was included free in all but the Basic and Starter versions of Windows 7.
Also there is little difference between the two version of Media Center. The only thing I know of is that the ability to burn a show to DVD has been removed from the Windows 8 version.
I do recommend the SiliconDust hardware. Reliable strong ATSC tuners that can be expanded simply by adding more.
vcrpro3 likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-21-2014, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm using 7 ultimate 64 bit. I have 8.1 on my 'super computer' that i use a test bed and have found some program and hardware incompatibilities. For now, i'm going to use some onboard tuners because i already have them and and currently do not have cable or satellite...gonna be for OTA and FM for the time being....cool.gif
post #7 of 9 Old 02-27-2014, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

After futzing around for over a week now, thinking about chucking this HTPC thing and going A/V Receiver......Sound card, Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe not compatible with windows 7 or 8 despite software updates. Major inconsistancies with tv tuner cards working or not (sorry-rant)mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif
post #8 of 9 Old 04-20-2014, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Different direction now; I have some Netgear Digital Entertainer Elites and currently using one with a recently aquirred AV receiver. It, along with its software does a fair job in playing back audio and video media (Though i have to run windows 7, just will not work on W8 or 8.1).
If wanted to build a box that does the same thing as the Netgear, but not with limited codec recognition, what would be the most simple and reliable software to use? Also, is there any third party software that works with the Digital Entertainer unit?? TIA.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-20-2014, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

BTW: The receiver does not have ethernet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrpro3 View Post

Different direction now; I have some Netgear Digital Entertainer Elites and currently using one with a recently aquirred AV receiver. It, along with its software does a fair job in playing back audio and video media (Though i have to run windows 7, just will not work on W8 or 8.1).
If wanted to build a box that does the same thing as the Netgear, but not with limited codec recognition, what would be the most simple and reliable software to use? Also, is there any third party software that works with the Digital Entertainer unit?? TIA.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page