SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime vs Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 95 Old 04-28-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 382
When you eventually give up on all these kludgy and complicated things you're trying to do, as stated before, WMC will work perfectly and is free. A used Tivo with lifetime is the next cheapest simple alternative that actually works and has no subscription fees.

Every response you've gotten is from someone who's already been down this path and has a working DVR. I don't understand why you insist on pursuing all these dead ends and reinventing the wheel. Imagine if you asked for advice on painting a room, and everyone with painting experience suggests using a brush, roller or spray, all proven solutions. You respond that you're going to use a toothpick instead because that's all you have on hand. You report back that it's not going very well and ask if a screwdriver would work any better. You ask if maybe making your own paint from scratch would help. Buy a freaking paint brush already!
Sammy2 and morganf like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 95 Old 04-28-2014, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

When you eventually give up on all these kludgy and complicated things you're trying to do, as stated before, WMC will work perfectly and is free. A used Tivo with lifetime is the next cheapest simple alternative that actually works and has no subscription fees.

Every response you've gotten is from someone who's already been down this path and has a working DVR. I don't understand why you insist on pursuing all these dead ends and reinventing the wheel. Imagine if you asked for advice on painting a room, and everyone with painting experience suggests using a brush, roller or spray, all proven solutions. You respond that you're going to use a toothpick instead because that's all you have on hand. You report back that it's not going very well and ask if a screwdriver would work any better. You ask if maybe making your own paint from scratch would help. Buy a freaking paint brush already!

Like most who have tried this, we endeavor to work with what we have because we can always just watch cable.

I thought I had a Win7 reg that would have allowed me to install Win7 and WMC.  I do not.  The reg turns out to be for Vista Premium.  Regardless, I do not have a Vista DVD.  I do not have any Windows Media Center software.  Understanding from this thread that WMC to record, what I would need is at least Win7. 

Buying a Tivo at this point is not my desired path, e.g. $.  Same with buying Win7 and WMC, e.g. $.

And regarding that poster using the Ahole word so prominently, WTF are you a cable installer looking at profit sharing on cable dvrs?

post #93 of 95 Old 04-28-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Vista WMC won't work either w/o some BIOS hacking. On Vista, CableCard tuners are only supported if you have a special OEM system certified to do so.

You will find that both Silicondust and Ceton officially only support Windows 7 or later.
post #94 of 95 Old 04-28-2014, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyrunner View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Like most who have tried this, we endeavor to work with what we have because we can always just watch cable.

I thought I had a Win7 reg that would have allowed me to install Win7 and WMC.  I do not.  The reg turns out to be for Vista Premium.  Regardless, I do not have a Vista DVD.  I do not have any Windows Media Center software.  Understanding from this thread that WMC to record, what I would need is at least Win7. 

Buying a Tivo at this point is not my desired path, e.g. $.  Same with buying Win7 and WMC, e.g. $.

And regarding that poster using the Ahole word so prominently, WTF are you a cable installer looking at profit sharing on cable dvrs?

Sorry. If you read the first post in this thread you will see that I started the thread and have been successfully using a Prime for 3 years now and do not have any interest whatsoever in having or promoting the use of a CableCo DVR.

Sorry to offend but it seemed that this thread was being side tracked into something different than comparing and contrasting different PC Tuners designed to use WMC inside Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional.

post #95 of 95 Old 04-29-2014, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Sorry.  Bye.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Ceton Infinitv 6 Eth Six Tuner Cablecard Ethernet Network Tuner For Win7 And Win8 Pc 5304 Dct06ex Et , Silicondust Hdhr3 Cc Hdhomerun Prime Cablecard Tv Tuners

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page