SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime vs Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 95 Old 02-19-2014, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I have been using my HDHR Prime for nearly 3 flawless years now but am going to need more tuners soon.

I am considering getting another Prime because it works so well but that requires the rental of another CableCARD and another TA in my system as well as using Tuner Salad.

I can go with the ETH and get the same number of tuners and only have one CableCARD and TA as well as use Ceton's tuner extension software.

The ETH is $275 vs $110 currently for the Prime. CableCARD rental for me is $2/month so it would take 80 months or so to break even on that cost.

I heard, but not recently, that the ETH had some f/w problems. I am wondering if this is true. Any other suggestions on which way to go are highly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 Old 02-19-2014, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Personally can't speak to the Ceton tuner, but I also have had 2 Prime's in use now as my only way to view cable tv since they came out, and since the very initial issues, they've been rock solid. Perhaps wait until the SD 6 tuner prime comes out (or the 4 tuner transcoding version) but who knows when they'll be out. For me at least, stability/reliability trumps the extra cable card cost ($4/mo for me on verizon)
post #3 of 95 Old 02-19-2014, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I too like the stability of the Prime and was wondering if the ETH has the kinks worked out as I haven't seen much at all posted in that thread.

post #4 of 95 Old 02-19-2014, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So nobody else has any comments? I guess I will be getting another Prime, CableCARD and TA.

post #5 of 95 Old 02-19-2014, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I've got the ETH and it's never ever failed me, but I too have heard plenty of stories questioning its reliability. Go for the Prime, or wait until the 6 tuner Prime comes out (if it ever does rolleyes.gif)
post #6 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 120
The HDHR Prime has been on sale for $90 or less quite often of late. I saw it as low as $80 a week or two ago. The Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH and PCI-e models recently went on sale for $229 at Newegg (see my post in the deals section at the top of this forum). I haven't hear any announcements as to the actual release date for the 6-tuner Prime, but if you're happy with the current Prime you might want to wait until it comes out. The target price is reported to be about $150.
post #7 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 06:12 AM

Liked: 12
I have/prefer 2 Primes just in case 1 craps out I don't lose all my recordings and can't watch live TV. You know that would happen during some playoff series or something lol.

-RobNY
post #8 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I have both a Prime and an InfiniTV 6 PCI-e. The Ceton is installed in my main HTPC for recording and the Prime is used with two other HTPCs for watching live TV. I've got three decommissioned InfiniTV 4's that I could put back into service if the need ever arised, although a bad cablecard would make it a moot point (this actually happened a couple of weeks ago). The good news is that I still have one of the Prime tuners available to use in a pinch.
post #9 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 07:21 AM

Liked: 10

I am not sure about the InfiniTV 6, but I do use the HDHomerun Prime. Maybe try talking to your cable provider to have them waive a fee for the second CableCARD. Escalate it to someone who can give you a deal, then another HDHomerun Prime would be the affordable choice. 

post #10 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I've been contemplating the exact same thing. I have 1 HDHR-CC with 3 tuners and it's been solid for years. I've found the cheapest solution to having enough tuners is to just yell at anyone who forgets to press stop when they're done watching TV smile.gif.

post #11 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I have both a Prime and an InfiniTV 6 PCI-e. The Ceton is installed in my main HTPC for recording and the Prime is used with two other HTPCs for watching live TV. I've got three decommissioned InfiniTV 4's that I could put back into service if the need ever arised, although a bad cablecard would make it a moot point (this actually happened a couple of weeks ago). The good news is that I still have one of the Prime tuners available to use in a pinch.

I have been thinking of replacing my InfiniTV 4 with the Prime. How does the tuning speed compare with all the models you have tried?

post #12 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Is the new 6 tuner Homerun actually a single M-card this time or is to another dual M-card with two 3 tuners merged together?

post #13 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My logic in using multiple HDHR-3CC tuners is survivability should there be a failure. Going from six tuners to three is a lot better than having all eggs in one basket and no TV (WAF goes to zero). This is especially critical when out of town on business and you get the call from the wife “The HTPC is on the curb, and they just finished installing the Hopper”.
I am lucky to be on FiOS (few encrypted channels) so I only need one cable-card, the other HDHR is clear-QAM. I even have an HDR3-dual for OTA in the mix. The OTA saved my a$$ one day when I accidently severed the FiOS cable while fixing a sprinkler head.
perpetual98 likes this.
post #14 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

With two CC tuners does it automatically roll over to the working one if one fails? Or would it simply be by chance that the tuner in queue would be the working one? Or are you simply going to manually intervene and remove the dead tuner and remap the channels to only use the good one?

post #15 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNY View Post

I have/prefer 2 Primes just in case 1 craps out I don't lose all my recordings and can't watch live TV. You know that would happen during some playoff series or something lol.

-RobNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdacat View Post

My logic in using multiple HDHR-3CC tuners is survivability should there be a failure. Going from six tuners to three is a lot better than having all eggs in one basket and no TV (WAF goes to zero). This is especially critical when out of town on business and you get the call from the wife “The HTPC is on the curb, and they just finished installing the Hopper”.
I am lucky to be on FiOS (few encrypted channels) so I only need one cable-card, the other HDHR is clear-QAM. I even have an HDR3-dual for OTA in the mix. The OTA saved my a$$ one day when I accidently severed the FiOS cable while fixing a sprinkler head.

These are really great points.

post #16 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 57
What are your viewing habits? i.e. what channels are used the most?

We found that paying for programming (that was when we had ATI DCT's) that is available for free was foolish when the same could be obtained for much less with an OTA set up. Luckily, WMC is smart enough to let you use both seamlessly.

See if adding an OTA tuner solves your tuner shortage problem.

Having said that, we have both ETH for cable and 3x SiliconDust Home Run duals for OTA. Our viewing/recording includes a healthy mix of both.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #17 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

The only way I'd get OTA is to move smile.gif I miss having ClearQAM and getting the networks in HD that way too. Buying a 2nd HDHR will be cheaper than moving though. Well, maybe, I just got another propane bill and I could buy many HDHRs for the price of that.

post #18 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 09:27 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Is the new 6 tuner Homerun actually a single M-card this time or is to another dual M-card with two 3 tuners merged together?

From what i've read/seen it will be a single card.
post #19 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I've been contemplating the exact same thing. I have 1 HDHR-CC with 3 tuners and it's been solid for years. I've found the cheapest solution to having enough tuners is to just yell at anyone who forgets to press stop when they're done watching TV smile.gif.

Except for overlapping recordings.

The thing is that I'm going to be going from 1 (½) people in my house with one TV to ~4 people with multiple TV's soon so I'll need more tuners available.

post #20 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Do you have access to OTA or unecrypted QAM local channels? For me, at least a few of my recordings at any given time are local channels. One option would be to get a regular HDHR to handle your local channels and to free up your cablecard tuner to handle the encrypted shows.

Also, in many cases the OTA broadcasts are of a higher quality.
post #21 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

The HDHR Prime has been on sale for $90 or less quite often of late. I saw it as low as $80 a week or two ago. The Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH and PCI-e models recently went on sale for $229 at Newegg (see my post in the deals section at the top of this forum). I haven't hear any announcements as to the actual release date for the 6-tuner Prime, but if you're happy with the current Prime you might want to wait until it comes out. The target price is reported to be about $150.

Yup. I should have jumped on that deal and almost did; I hope it comes around again but they are available for $110 or so right not.

I bet the 6-tuner model goes for more than $150 on initial release, but we shall see. BTW, I had only heard of the 4-tuner trans-coding model which was supposed to come out last spring or early summer. What gives? Links?

post #22 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyodor View Post

Do you have access to OTA or unecrypted QAM local channels? For me, at least a few of my recordings at any given time are local channels. One option would be to get a regular HDHR to handle your local channels and to free up your cablecard tuner to handle the encrypted shows.

Also, in many cases the OTA broadcasts are of a higher quality.

OTA is not really an option.. A lot of sports is missed on OTA and then there's Palladia. Although I do recognize the superior quality, I'm pretty far from the broadcast location so there's a few other things to consider. The local ABC affiliate is real hard to tune at my location for one.

post #23 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Another thing to consider is your cable signal strength. To use two 3-tuner w/ 2 TAs instead of one 6-tuner w/ one TA has significant differences on signal strengths. It is 4-way splitter vs 2-way splitter. That's additional 3.5db of signal loss.

I'm too waiting to see when the HDHR's 6-tuner version will ship and whether or not it will contain the same driver hack like Ceton's to bypass the tuner limit.
post #24 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have real good strength as the feed is right off the pole to my office as initially that was where the Cable Modem only was. Right now it splits to the Prime, Modem and TA right at the point of demarcation.

It seems if it has 6-tuners then it should come with a driver hack but they may just rely on Tuner Salad.

The ETH seems a little spendy.

post #25 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Do the silicondust and ceton units do ota?
post #26 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

I have been thinking of replacing my InfiniTV 4 with the Prime. How does the tuning speed compare with all the models you have tried?
That's hard to say as I've never really compared them in that way. The Ceton tuners are exclusive to my main HTPC and the Prime tuners are used on two other HTPCs. I use the Ceton primarily for recording. The Prime is watched mainly by my wife and son on two other TVs. I don;t do much channel surfing anymore and I record about 99% of everything I watch so channel changing speed is irrelevant to my usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrpro3 View Post

None of the cablecard units do OTA. SiliconDust makes the HDHomeRun Dual for OTA reception.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

I'm too waiting to see when the HDHR's 6-tuner version will ship and whether or not it will contain the same driver hack like Ceton's to bypass the tuner limit.
You can use TunerSalad to override the tuner limit in Media Center.
post #27 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrpro3 View Post

No. They can do Clear QAM if that is even still available in your area.

post #28 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, then i will still need another tuner for ota and fm. In the air whether i wan cable (Cox Phoenix) or satellite.........
post #29 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 01:02 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I bet the 6-tuner model goes for more than $150 on initial release, but we shall see. BTW, I had only heard of the 4-tuner trans-coding model which was supposed to come out last spring or early summer. What gives? Links?

http://www.missingremote.com/news/2014-01-13/silicondust-ces2014

It's a different model apparently. No word on the transcoding model, from what I see. They may have scrapped it after Ceton came out with the 6 tuner ETH.
post #30 of 95 Old 02-20-2014, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That may just fit into my plans time wise. I hope it is a polished product on release.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Ceton Infinitv 6 Eth Six Tuner Cablecard Ethernet Network Tuner For Win7 And Win8 Pc 5304 Dct06ex Et , Silicondust Hdhr3 Cc Hdhomerun Prime Cablecard Tv Tuners

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page