• 2 Post By Mfusick
  • 1 Post By 3rob3
  • 1 Post By brickie

post #1 of 11 Old 02-21-2014, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking at building a home media server which will be connected via dual tuner to UK freeview tv. It will also be connected to my 2tb storage unit and then via gigabit Ethernet through the home to each room.

When I get to each room I need something to allow me to connect to the server and display on the TV. I want a single solution for TV and the rest of the media. Was looking at getting something simply like the Pi.

If I get XBMC on the media server and then RaspBMC on the Pi, will I be able to get all of the transcoding and processing done on the server and simply use the Pi as a front end? Thus it not mattering really what power the Pi has enable me to get HD tv through this system?

I plan on getting HD TV available to multiple TVs in the house, so don't want to spend a fortune on PCs for each TV location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-21-2014, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Check out the last page of the XBMC Media Center: Setup Guide thread. We just had a discussion there on the Pi's capabilities with XBMC. Net net, if it were me I might get one Pi and try it, then if you're not satisfied plan on using it for whichever TV in your house gets the least usage and stepping up to a Celeron NUC for the others. Pretty big price difference between them though so if you decide you like the Pi and can live with it that would certainly save you some money.

As for transcoding, you won't be doing any if you're only watching all your content on TVs. If you do need transcoding in the future to watch on mobile devices too then you'd need to ditch your network storage unit for an actual server with a processor to handle that. Come to think of it, you might run into some problems trying to watch on multiple TVs at the same time if everything is being read from that little NAS. You'd have to test to see but I wouldn't expect it to work very well watching more than 2 at a time.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-21-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Just buy a roku it's superior to a Raspi in every possible way I can think of. Install the plex or mediabrowser app and live happily ever after if cheap simple streaming is your thing.

Raspi is very low performance. Unacceptable to me. It's not just very slow but struggles with HD audio and high bit rate 1080p. There is a lag to the time to start playing that is exceptionally annoying.

I found that even if you overclock the Raspi 300mhz and use both the SSD and the SD card for the OS and library cover art and data it's still too slow. If you overclock the Pi too much it will corrupt the writes on the USB so use that as read only OS.

In contrast you can buy a 35$ Celeron socket 1155 or 1150 and a $40 mobo with HDMI and a single stick of 4GB and run that off a USB stick and XBMC too- but the results are infinitely superior in every measurable way.

Just my 02cents
Aryn Ravenlocke and balky like this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 11 Old 02-21-2014, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Agree with Mfusick. While cool and fun to play with, a Raspberry Pi is just too slow for me in everyday use. Plus once you buy everything you need you are close to Roku $$.
Mfusick likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-22-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'll 3rd comments. Haven't used my Pi in about 5-6 months for reasons mentioned.
Mfusick likes this.

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
post #6 of 11 Old 02-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I hadn't thought of going the Roku route with Plex. I agree that's probably the best option and a nice middle ground price-wise too between the Pi and the NUC.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-26-2014, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
roku works great streaming from the net android box quad core or nuc with xbmc a are the way to go for home network
post #8 of 11 Old 07-26-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 853
ROKU is also easy to set up

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #9 of 11 Old 07-27-2014, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Have to agree with the chorus here. Raspberry Pi just doesn't hold up well for streaming 1080p content. It's a nice little machine, and if the highest quality is not an issue, it can save you a few hundred dollars. But the trade-off is it is slow to navigate and the streams are far better off in 720. For a dedicated user, a small Celeron processor or better PC is the better way to go.

Last edited by teachsac; 07-28-2014 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Quote of spambot removed
post #10 of 11 Old 07-27-2014, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ve7bbdcall View Post
roku works great streaming from the net android box quad core or nuc with xbmc a are the way to go for home network
If you want Netflix or other brand streaming, Roku is top notch. But for playing local media, it is limted and requires PLEX or other type of server, particlarly transcode all the video formats the Roku can't handle.

To elaborate on the above recommendation, a NUC or other small form factor box with XBMC/OpenELEC is the best option if local streaming is the primary use. The add-ons are a bonus, but you won't get Netflix.

Pass on the Pi. Its a fun little gadget, but you'll never really be satisfied.

Last edited by DanPackMan; 07-27-2014 at 11:27 AM.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-27-2014, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 309
If the pi foundation would just give an update that had an acceptable amount of ram and a not-weak-as-piss arm architecture (which consequently takes care of the ram issue, but they are worth mentioning separately) the pi could be a game changer

It was a great idea, truly could have been big. Ended up being similar to the netbook, a device in search of a purpose. While the pi clearly had a purpose, it failed to deliver to most of our standards. Aiming for the s5 / g2 / g3 / any current android flagship architecture would take care of this (i.e. firetv)

Netbooks made a splash in their time too since laptops had poor battery life and low performance / $ on the low end. Quickly a majority of owners ended up trying to make music servers and other miscellaneous crap with them after finding their performance was too poor for daily use (just like a lot of people are doing with the pi now)
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page