Searching for a great keyboard for my desktop. Suggestions ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 02-22-2014, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Currently I have a Razer keyboard; It's nice for a gaming has the blue LED to light up the keys, on the fly macros etc.. Very fast response time.

But I am thinking I might like something more typing friendly, I'd be willing to sacrifice some of the gaming features for better and faster type performance and ergonomics. Anyone have a suggestion ?

Budget is probably under $200.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 02-22-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Good luck getting someone here to help you with something that will facilitate even LONGER posts! Ha ha!

Seriously, you should list whats important. Lighted keyboard, quiet, feel of the keys, etc.

Sent from my generic not my computer device.
post #3 of 39 Old 02-22-2014, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I want it all. Just not sure what's a good option.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 39 Old 02-23-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a developer and do a lot of typing. My favorite of all time was the Northgate Omnikey Ultra from the late 80's. These days I use a dasKeyboard Model S Professional with the Cherry MX Blue switches. They run about $130.
post #5 of 39 Old 02-24-2014, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

What's best for some gaming and also typing ? Cherry MX red? Blue? Brown? Black?

I don't like hearing the clicking too much

-

post #6 of 39 Old 02-24-2014, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Reds and Blacks are linear switches which means they have no feedback. They go straight up and down. There is no tactile bump and no audible click. Browns are tactile only. So there is no audible click but there is a tactile bump upon actuation. Blues are tactile and audible. So you get the bump and the click. I prefer Browns for typing and Reds for gaming. Reds are still comfortable for typing though. So I use Brown at work and Reds at home. A bunch of people I work with also use this setup. I also prefer a simple, sleek design with highest build quality. So I use Filco TKL boards.

edit:
Amazon actually has 10 TKL Reds in stock. Which is rare. http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Tenkeyless-FKBN87MRL-EB2/dp/B007VAFWM8/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A104717BI2VJF7
I might have to pick up another one smile.gif
post #7 of 39 Old 02-24-2014, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post

Reds and Blacks are linear switches which means they have no feedback. They go straight up and down. There is no tactile bump and no audible click. Browns are tactile only. So there is no audible click but there is a tactile bump upon actuation. Blues are tactile and audible. So you get the bump and the click. I prefer Browns for typing and Reds for gaming. Reds are still comfortable for typing though. So I use Brown at work and Reds at home. A bunch of people I work with also use this setup. I also prefer a simple, sleek design with highest build quality. So I use Filco TKL boards.

edit:
Amazon actually has 10 TKL Reds in stock. Which is rare. http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Tenkeyless-FKBN87MRL-EB2/dp/B007VAFWM8/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A104717BI2VJF7
I might have to pick up another one smile.gif

Sweet! Thanks for the reply. I was checking out the Corsair models of keyboards. Also checking out the Rosewill brand ones. I will check those out two. What do you think about the Rosewill with the Cherry switches ? They seem pretty plain and basic, but I guess the cherry switches and simple design is what makes them good. Any experience with the Corsairs ? $160 seems heavy for a keyboard (although I paid $130 for this one now). I am thinking I will bring this one to my office. Razer makes great mice but the keyboards are only average.

I like the number pad on the right side. I also like the advanced features of the high end keyboards, (like macros, shortcuts, volume etc.. )

-

post #8 of 39 Old 02-24-2014, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

The Corsairs get great reviews but they look a little ridiculous in my opinion. If you're into that sort of thing I'd go for the CM Storm Trigger or Storm Trigger Z instead. Though they are getting hard to find. If you want a ton of those macro keys then the Corsair is really you're only option.
Not a fan of the Rosewill 9000 series. The 9100 series however is basically a rebranded Max Keyboard. Top quality.
The Max Keyboards themselves might have more options though: http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-nighthawk-x9-red-backlit-mechanical-keyboard.html
The Max Keyboards are my favorite when you're talking "extra features" mechanical keyboards.
Mfusick likes this.
post #9 of 39 Old 02-24-2014, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Still pounding on a IBM Model M and a Microsoft X6 (OOP) My ideal keyboard would incorporate features common to both. (Clicky-key, backlit, non-ghosting, a/v controls, adjustable brightness, rock solid construct)

Wasn't impressed with the Corsair gaming keyboards when I tried them three years ago.
post #10 of 39 Old 02-24-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Logitech G710+

- Mechanical
- Backlit
- Media & Controls
- Macro Keys
post #11 of 39 Old 02-24-2014, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Logitech G710+

- Mechanical
- Backlit
- Media & Controls
- Macro Keys

Every review seems to state that Logitech is inferior to most other true high end keyboards

-

post #13 of 39 Old 03-15-2014, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Ok I am back at this search... My desktop keyboard is acting funny. Sometimes windows does not detect it. The search continues...

I am surfing now looking at available deals. Thanks for all the great suggestions. Anyone know any good deals going right now?

-

post #14 of 39 Old 03-15-2014, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I love my steelseries merc stealth and Razer naga combo.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Mfusick likes this.
post #15 of 39 Old 03-15-2014, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Every review seems to state that Logitech is inferior to most other true high end keyboards

I bought one the other day when Amazon had a big sale on Logitech products. I've been very happy with it so far. My only complaint would be the programmable keys are on the left side and when I go to hit CTRL or SHIFT I sometimes end up hitting one of the programmable keys because I'm so used to the CTRL and SHIFT keys being the farthest right. Just need time to adjust.
post #16 of 39 Old 03-20-2014, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

What did you pay for it ?

-

post #17 of 39 Old 03-20-2014, 04:36 PM

$98 for the keyboard and $36 for the G500s mouse. It won't get as much use as most gamers put theirs through because I'm gone a lot for my job so it should last a while.
post #18 of 39 Old 03-20-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I like Razer brand mice. I never really found any luck with others.

-

post #19 of 39 Old 03-20-2014, 05:20 PM

If I bought a Razer mouse I'd have to buy a Razer keyboard too and I'm not a fan of green LEDs. Sadly enough that's the main reason I didn't go with them. My friend has Razer stuff and loves it.
post #20 of 39 Old 03-26-2014, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Why would you have to get a razer keyboard if you bought a razer mouse ?

Also- You know you can turn off the GREEN LED right ?

-

post #21 of 39 Old 07-30-2014, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Do you want 10 key or is that just what you found? Same with switches.... do you know the difference between Black/Red/Clear/Brown/Blue/Green Cherry switches? You can definitely find better deals. Especially if you're patient. The Rosewill 9000 boards have bad USB connectors. It's typically recommended to stay away from them mainly because you can find boards at the same price without USB connector issues.

edit: I probably already asked these questions at some point...
post #22 of 39 Old 07-30-2014, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Brown. That's best for typing right? 10 key ? I'm not sure I care. Would something else be better? Why ?

-

post #23 of 39 Old 07-30-2014, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

The different switches are going to be personal preference. Browns and Blues are often preferred for typing. Any of the Cherry switches will be more comfortable for typing than regular rubber dome you find on typical keyboards though.
10 key is the number pad on the right. Some people learned to type with 10 key and can't live without it. Some people don't care. Keyboard without 10 key are called ten keyless or TKL. I prefer TKL because I can center the typing rows in front of my body and have my mouse closer to my hand. Would you buy a used keyboard?
post #24 of 39 Old 07-30-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah I'd buy a good used keyboard if I trusted the seller.

-

post #25 of 39 Old 07-30-2014, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Browns I want. I like the number pad btw.. all my keyboards have had the numberpad on the right. I do math and use them often.

-

post #26 of 39 Old 07-30-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Apple wired keyboard.....

With minor tweaks, works great in Windows.

Once you get one of these, every other keyboard will feel ( insert your favorite acronym). It IS that good. I think my typing speed (which is abysmal) went up probably by a factor of 50% just because of the keyboard. Oh, and it looks great.
post #27 of 39 Old 07-30-2014, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

sarcasm or serious ?

I can't tell.

-

post #28 of 39 Old 07-31-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Totally serious. I have now thrown away all my other keyboards. The Apple keyboard really is that good.
post #29 of 39 Old 07-31-2014, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Wouldn't even have thought about an apple keyboard.

-

post #30 of 39 Old 07-31-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Wouldn't even have thought about an apple keyboard.
You're not alone. I didn't either, because I used to be primarily a Windows user. And then I built a Mac...and then I got the Apple wired keyboard (and the trackpad, which is another amazing component. Blows ANY mouse out of the water completely in OSX, but Apple has crippled it for Windows).

Once I started using it with the Mac, I said, man, this is a sweet keyboard, why doesn't something like this exist for Windows? Well, minor tweaks with AutoHotKey, and this is THE best desktop keyboard I've used.

Note though, I'm not a gamer or anything, so those guys may have special requirements that this keyboard won't fulfill.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page