AVS Forum banner

Lol @ WD purple hard drives

5K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  modd1uk 
#1 ·
#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23  /t/1519822/lol-wd-purple-hard-drives#post_24408209

Way to ruin everything

Ok now that that's out of the way. Isn't this what the AV-GP line was supposed to be for?

Hahaha sorry! I had to look up what the song was, I'm too young

The anandtech article goes into it a little http://www.anandtech.com/show/7771/western-digital-targets-surveillance-storage-market-with-purple-hard-drives
Quote:
Most NVRs are based off NAS platforms in RAIDed environments. Since the WD-AV-GP drives were not specifically geared for use in NAS devices, it makes sense for WD to develop firmware optimized for video surveillance storage using the Red drives as the hardware base.

#11 ·
These are not for the NSA. Their own description states they do not have vibration compensation that comes with the large SAN models, and they are intended for individual DVRs with 1-8 bays at most.

I can promise you giant nation-state surveillance projects are using enterprise SAS or fiber channel drives that they overpaid for, possibly with custom firmware written just for them and other features such as built in encryption that they can load their own keys on.

Also how could you not know that song unless you never switch away from the autotune crap?
It is played quite a lot even today.

Easy come, easy go, little high, little low

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.