Old AVR can't get video to work from HTPC HDMI out. Do I need a HDMI to Component adapter for Video conversion to work or something different? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 02-28-2014, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here is the situation in my basement HT. I have a new HTPC with HDMI out, going into a 3-5 yo AVR that has HDMI in (or Component in), which then goes to a old projector that only offers Component in. I got the audio working fine, but the video just doesn't want to cooperate. Any suggestions of what my options are would be greatly appreciated!

The AVR has both HDMI in and Component in, I used the HDMI in from my HTPC and got audio only. I tried to find a setting for the HDMI on the AVR but didnt seem to find anything that worked. Is it too old to have some sort of video up scaling setting or is this even possible? Do I need to get a HDMI to Component adapter or new AVR? Unfortunately the basement is finished, and they of course didnt run HDMI to the projector, just Component... I need a solution that will work well with a Windows 7 WMC HTPC and OTA 1080i plus netflix streaming please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-28-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 250
If the receiver can't do the conversion from HDMI to component, you'll need a dedicated conversion box to do that. I believe monoprice has some. Don't buy a HDMI component adapter, that won't work.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-01-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

If the receiver can't do the conversion from HDMI to component, you'll need a dedicated conversion box to do that. I believe monoprice has some. Don't buy a HDMI component adapter, that won't work.

Thanks for the advice. I have been searching for "HDMI to Component convert", is this the correct thing to be looking for? Does anyone have any experience with one that works? or would it just be better to get a newer AVR that actually can do the conversion itself-is this pretty standard in new AVRs now? I think I am at the right place on monoprice, but didnt see one there, unless i missed something: http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=101&cp_id=10114

I did find these options on amazon, do you think one of these will work?
http://www.amazon.com/Kanex-Pro-HDRGBRL-Component-Converter/dp/B00BW0XXZ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393692353&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+to+component+converter
http://www.amazon.com/Loftek%C2%AE-HDfuryproTwo-Component-Converter-Surround/dp/B009YP7Y56/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1393629482&sr=8-4&keywords=hdmi+to+component+converter

Thanks again for any advice!
post #4 of 18 Old 03-01-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 250

I couldn't find any at monoprice, I guess they don't sell them anymore. The two converters you linked to would technically work but they don't have such good reviews. There will be some quality loss converting HDMI to component so that is another thing to consider. The best solution is to run a HDMI cable, even if the basement is finished there are ways to fish a new cable. The choice is yours!

You can buy a new receiver that will do the conversion just make sure it can do it before you buy. You can download the manual and check if it does. Some of the cheaper receivers will only do pass through and not any conversions.

freetvEE likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 03-02-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 127
It could be an HDCP problem, HDCP won't allow conversion from HDMI to Component, if so, you'd need something like an HDFury (which will work without HDCP as well).
DavidinCT and freetvEE like this.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #6 of 18 Old 03-02-2014, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

I couldn't find any at monoprice, I guess they don't sell them anymore. The two converters you linked to would technically work but they don't have such good reviews. There will be some quality loss converting HDMI to component so that is another thing to consider. The best solution is to run a HDMI cable, even if the basement is finished there are ways to fish a new cable. The choice is yours!
You can buy a new receiver that will do the conversion just make sure it can do it before you buy. You can download the manual and check if it does. Some of the cheaper receivers will only do pass through and not any conversions.

I want to run a new HDMI cable, but it would be a major pain, plus the projector doesn't have HDMI either... Leaning towards a new AVR that will do the conversion, any idea on cost and recommendations for a good one? otherwise might just try this: http://www.amazon.com/Loftek%C2%AE-HDfuryproTwo-Component-Converter-Surround/dp/B009YP7Y56/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_1 I really only need it to play 1080i HD OTA recordings from WMC & stream netflix. Not sure if it would works best to run the optical to my AVR from this converter box, or just run the optical straight from my HTPC mobo to the AVR?
post #7 of 18 Old 03-02-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 318
What model projector? Does it have DVI or VGA? It likely does have VGA at least. If so, don't run video through your receiver at all, just audio. My receiver doesn't have HDMI either, but it isn't a problem. I would avoid video converters if at all possible since most are expensive and don't do a very good job anyway.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-02-2014, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

What model projector? Does it have DVI or VGA? It likely does have VGA at least. If so, don't run video through your receiver at all, just audio. My receiver doesn't have HDMI either, but it isn't a problem. I would avoid video converters if at all possible since most are expensive and don't do a very good job anyway.

It's hooked to a projector that only has RGB Component going out from the AVR to it, no other option for video since the component is already run and basement is finished. I will have to take the video through the AVR since its hooked to not only my HDMI out HTPC, but also a component Blu Ray player-that the AVR seems to handle just fine...
post #9 of 18 Old 03-03-2014, 04:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Is it RGB, or Component (YPbPr)? They are not the same.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #10 of 18 Old 03-03-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetvEE View Post

I want to run a new HDMI cable, but it would be a major pain, plus the projector doesn't have HDMI either... Leaning towards a new AVR that will do the conversion, any idea on cost and recommendations for a good one? otherwise might just try this: http://www.amazon.com/Loftek%C2%AE-HDfuryproTwo-Component-Converter-Surround/dp/B009YP7Y56/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_1 I really only need it to play 1080i HD OTA recordings from WMC & stream netflix. Not sure if it would works best to run the optical to my AVR from this converter box, or just run the optical straight from my HTPC mobo to the AVR?

Most new AVR won't do HDMI to component conversion either due to HDCP concerns. Why don't you just get video card that supports component video outputs? HDMI does you no good in your situation. OTA program doesn't contain any HD audio anyway.
post #11 of 18 Old 03-03-2014, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Is it RGB, or Component (YPbPr)? They are not the same.

Sorry Component.
post #12 of 18 Old 03-03-2014, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Most new AVR won't do HDMI to component conversion either due to HDCP concerns. Why don't you just get video card that supports component video outputs? HDMI does you no good in your situation. OTA program doesn't contain any HD audio anyway.

Thanks for your thoughts, but do they even make these anymore? any recommendations? Everything in my system is new-Haswell Intell, H81M mobo...
post #13 of 18 Old 03-03-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:

Thanks for your thoughts, but do they even make these anymore? any recommendations? Everything in my system is new-Haswell Intell, H81M mobo...

They probably don't make them anymore but it should not be that hard or expensive to get an old video card from eBay. It certainly should be easier/cheaper than other way around.

The fact is an old TV/Projector that only has analog inputs (component) is an pain in the rear these days. For the trouble you go through to make it work, it might be easier and cheaper to buy a new TV/Projector.
post #14 of 18 Old 03-03-2014, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

They probably don't make them anymore but it should not be that hard or expensive to get an old video card from eBay. It certainly should be easier/cheaper than other way around.

The fact is an old TV/Projector that only has analog inputs (component) is an pain in the rear these days. For the trouble you go through to make it work, it might be easier and cheaper to buy a new TV/Projector.

I was thinking the same myself, unfortunately that also involves me trying to run a new HDMI cable in a totally finished area from AVR to ceiling.
post #15 of 18 Old 03-03-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

An HDFury2 should work:
http://www.hdfury.com/shop/videoprocessors/hd-fury-ii/
DavidinCT likes this.

post #16 of 18 Old 03-05-2014, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

I am ready buy a HD Fury or an Amazon knockoff of one-linked above. It sounds like this will work for my current setup without having to change too much around. The one thing I am concerned about is how things will work and how much manual work will be needed when switching between the HTPC & the Blu-ray player-which both got through the AVR? From above "It's hooked to a projector that only has RGB Component going out from the AVR to it, no other option for video since the component is already run and basement is finished. I will have to take the video through the AVR since its hooked to not only my HDMI out HTPC, but also a component Blu Ray player-that the AVR seems to handle just fine..."
post #17 of 18 Old 03-05-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

I was thinking the same myself, unfortunately that also involves me trying to run a new HDMI cable in a totally finished area from AVR to ceiling.

Can you use the existing cable to pull a new cable through the same conduit? Does not have to be HDMI, you can use Cat 6 with HDMI extenders.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-06-2014, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

Can you use the existing cable to pull a new cable through the same conduit? Does not have to be HDMI, you can use Cat 6 with HDMI extenders.

Thought of that, but it looks like there isnt any conduit. It was done 5-7 years ago. I did see some sort of Cat5 (I assume) cable, so thought about trying to use that if possible with the HDMI extenders-will regular Cat5 work ok for this? Would still need to buy a new projector...
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page