How to access bluray menus on the HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2014, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I am using AnyDVD HD to open blurays and can't find a media player that will show the menus. Before purchasing AnyDVD I tried Cyberlink and Arcsoft's offerings. They both told me that my HTPC was not HDCP compliant and I didn't want to deal with tracking down which piece of hardware was causing the problem. Having done a trial of AnyDVD in the past and knowing that it would let me watch BDs I bought it because my demo period was over. I am now able to play BDs but then I started trying to access the menus and can't find a way to do it.

I have tried:
Jriver
MPC-HC
VLC
Pot Player

It's funny because I have spent so much time ripping my BDs just so I don't have to see the commercials and menus. Sometimes I want access to the menus because not all TV shows have the files in order on the disc. I hope I didn't just waste $70 on AnyDVD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The only player I have that will display the menus is PowerDVD.
rec head likes this.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Have you considered ripping them to mkv files? MakeMKV will rip each episode of a TV series disc as individual mkv files. You can name them so they're in the right order.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
The only programs that can play back all blu-ray menus are the paid applications like TMT5, PowerDVD, and WinDVD (all of which require HDCP I would assume). Some other programs, including XBMC, can play non-Java menus. I know it's a huge pain, but I would try ripping the episodes with makemkv and renaming them.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I do rip and rename them. The problem is that you need to confirm the order of the episodes. Track 1 is not always episode 1. That means putting the disc in a standalone player and noting the first scene or episode duration. It would be nice to be able to do it all from the PC.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 161
There are lots of ways to find the episode titles. If the episodes all have titles in the opening credits then you can simply view the video and note the title. If you look on epguides.com you will find lists of just about every show ever aired in the US and the UK with episode titles and descriptions.

Some shows may not display titles but have episode numbers in the closing credits. These are also listed on epguides.com.

If you can't find either a title or an episode number displayed in the video then look at the list of guest stars on the show. You can google the actor's name along with the show title and chances are you'll find the name of the episode they appeared in.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:59 AM

Liked: 10
I believe Mediaportal also shows non-Java bluray menus
Old 03-25-2014, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
If you ripped to ISO then WinDVD Pro 11 will play the Bluray. I honestly don't know if it will do what you want but there is a free trial so you can try it out. Don't buy it directly from them though if you decide to purchase. You can get it at Amazon for significantly cheaper than at the their own website. I paid $30 for it last month at Amazon and it is currently $35.

My subs play all the way down to 0 Hz!!! It's so low you can't hear or feel anything.