Ceton Echo Combing and Deinterlacing Issues - AVS Forum
Home Theater Computers > Ceton Echo Combing and Deinterlacing Issues
Fyodor's Avatar Fyodor 08:42 AM 03-03-2014
All,

I shelved my echo early in the beta and came back to it recently. I have run into the following problems with playback of 1080i content, which seemed to be common issues.

1. Combing during periods of movement.

2. General lack of smoothness playing deinterlaced content (most noticeable during pans and text scrolling).

The only content I've tried has been protected (Copy Once) content.

Was anyone ever able to work out a solution to these issues, either working with tech support or otherwise? I am using the latest firmware.

Thank You
F

Fyodor's Avatar Fyodor 08:43 AM 03-03-2014
P.S., I know that many people are understandably frustrated with Ceton and that this has been a source of some contention.

I'm mostly concerned with if people were ever able to get the above problems fixed to decide if its worth my effort or if I should just move on.

Thanks
F
Foxbat121's Avatar Foxbat121 09:21 AM 03-03-2014
The only one that can fix the problem is Ceton. But Ceton has given up the product long time ago.
Fyodor's Avatar Fyodor 12:19 PM 03-03-2014
That sounds like the story, but it sounds like some people are satisfied with the echo, which makes me wonder if there is some way to overcome these issues.
ajhieb's Avatar ajhieb 12:41 PM 03-03-2014
Satisfaction seems to vary greatly, and I think it has less to do with the Echo itself, and more to do with the overall use of the Echo, and the content coming from the cable company.

You'll hear lots of "I only use it for Live/Recorded TV and I love it!" because the Echo seems to generally stink at playing back ripped Blurays of any quality at all.

Of the folks that seem to think it's great for live TV i think that is a combination of people that cant see/can't recognize deinterlacing problems, and people who don't watch interlaced content.

When you consider the wide range of content that is coming from cable providers (480p, 720p 1080i, MPEG-2, h.264, encrypted, unencrypted, copy freely, copy once, copy never) your going to see different results from one provider to the next. Throw in people's different tolerance for various things, (and their ability to perceive it in the first place)

In other words, satisfaction is in the eye of the beholder.
mdavej's Avatar mdavej 12:44 PM 03-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyodor View Post

That sounds like the story, but it sounds like some people are satisfied with the echo, which makes me wonder if there is some way to overcome these issues.
Count me as satisfied, but only because I've chosen to live with the current bugs. I have not solved the interlace problem. That being said, it is a rare occurrence for me. If my network speed and connectivity are good, I don't have a problem, which is most of the time. I cold boot my Echoes every time I use them, so perhaps that helps me avoid certain issues as well.

I accept this first generation device for what it is, a first attempt that works ok, but is underpowered and buggy. There probably isn't much more they can do in software to overcome the hardware limitations. Plus they probably busted the budget on the failed Android attempt. Many feel burned, but I've paid just as much for blu-ray players with much worse bugs that were never fixed. I don't like it, but that's just the way it is with today's very complex consumer electronics.

If the next generation never comes to pass or is no better, I'll just go back to Xboxes when my current Echoes die.
Foxbat121's Avatar Foxbat121 12:47 PM 03-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyodor View Post

Some are easily satisfied. On top of that, contents from different cable provider behave differently depends on how each cable provider 'shapes' the content, e.g. recompress it to save bandwidth. They all do. Some are doing a better job than others.
Fyodor's Avatar Fyodor 12:58 PM 03-03-2014
Oh well. I'd be satisfied if it could play LiveTV well, but in light of the fact that I have a lot of interlaced TV content (that my Tivo, computer, and Xbox handle fine) that I should go leave this alone.
rc05's Avatar rc05 01:24 PM 03-03-2014
There's something up with copy-once content and the Echo. I notice that panning isn't smooth either, but it's only on the copy-once channels for me.
ajhieb's Avatar ajhieb 01:48 PM 03-03-2014
Point of comparison is also worth noting.

I suspect you're much more likely to be content with the Echo if it was your first extender experience. If you'd been using an X-Box... probably not.
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2 02:09 PM 03-03-2014
All four of my echos work fine for Live/Recorded TV but I think it is what the provider is giving me that is making it not be an issue for the echo because the echo can handle it better (just a theory). I really think that if ceton would have held out just a bit longer it would have been a fine product but they probably should have designed it around android to start.

I have one of the android units and it does a pretty decent job with Blu-ray rips because it can use MX Player with the ARM7 Neon Codecs installed to decoding dts. Enabling HW acceleration provides for pretty smooth playback of most discs. I don't use the echo in a location where I want or need lossless audio. so that is a plus for me.

As the echo does not have access to the Playstore I can not longer update the MediaBrowser android app because I don't have a valid apk as it is out of beta and only available int he store. I use Serenity for Plex and it works pretty well but it doesn't give my a unified experience with my local media library.
slowbiscuit 07:21 AM 03-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I accept this first generation device for what it is, a first attempt that works ok, but is underpowered and buggy. There probably isn't much more they can do in software to overcome the hardware limitations. Plus they probably busted the budget on the failed Android attempt. Many feel burned, but I've paid just as much for blu-ray players with much worse bugs that were never fixed. I don't like it, but that's just the way it is with today's very complex consumer electronics.

Uh, it's not a first-gen device. Maybe from Ceton, but certainly not for extenders as a whole. The sad truth is that the Echo is in many ways worse than devices that are 5+ years older tech-wise, including the Xbox and all the other discontinued extenders.

The even sadder truth is that Ceton continues to sell this bugfest to unsuspecting customers after abandoning it, and it makes me question why folks still want to support this company.
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2 10:30 AM 03-04-2014
I have 4 of these buggy little things.. One beta android unit and 3 others I grabbed at $99 which really should just be the base price.
Fyodor's Avatar Fyodor 03:20 PM 03-04-2014
Out of curiousity-did the Android version play Copy Once content?
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2 04:04 PM 03-04-2014
Yes it did. You switch back and forth between android and WMC by long pressing the green button. The TV tuner in android worked for Copy Once content too but the guide was never implemented.
Up
Mobile  Desktop